www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old February 22nd, 2017, 14:27   #46
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

I have still not found a single LED "halogen replacement" that good beam control. Several claim they do, but when I tried them out the scatter is horrid.

There was a discussion on here a few years ago about why you can't drop HID bulbs into halogen housings. Gist of the discussion is the element runs bright at different points along its length and different position than arc of Xenon bulb. In some instances the elements of a halogen bulb are even turned 90 degrees from the arc globe in a HID bulb.

Now for LEDs they are trying to mimic the bright spot location to make it work. But both HID and halogen have a bright spot with 360 exposure in one plane and only small blockage on other plane for electrodes. LEDs however block 100% behind them and are brightest in only a small arc, while they do try to distribute light over the whole 180 degrees.

New Passats have LED headlamp available. GTIs have LED fog lamps. Neither use the same reflector setup. In both cases the LEDs are vertical firing and very different shaped reflectors compared to halogen.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 17:36   #47
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

HID's bulbs do emit their light in a 360 arc, there is no reflector on the bulb. LED's are terrible in an HID or halogen bulb projector headlight, learned that one the hard way.
2003 JSW 1.8T future TDI, silver. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 19:53   #48
Oilerlord
Veteran Member

RE: 40% savings on power bill replacing 48 - 60w bulbs with LED's.

We can do the math on that one too.

Before 48x60W = 2880 W
After 48x10W = 480 W
Net savings = 2.4 kW

Giving benefit of the doubt, Let's assume that every one of those 48 lights "might" be turned on for 8 hours per day.

2.4 kW x 8 hours = 19.2 kWh saved per day. 30 days = 576 kWh saved using LED's.

In this very generous scenario, it's possible. In my experience, we replaced 82x60W bulbs with 12 watt LED's, and 18 75W outdoor floods with 15 watt LED's. On paper, that's a HUGE power saving overall however we are diligent about turning off lights, and seldom have even 10% those bulbs on at any given moment for 4-6 hours in an evening. Add to that our new 10kW oven/microwave/warming tray, heating pumps, two refrigerators, freezer, wine cooler, 3-ton A/C in summer, and our furnace fan that runs most of the time in winter, and of course, my EV, we honestly haven't noticed ANY savings on our power bill.

Essentially, if lighting is one of the biggest loads on his panel every month - it's possible. That's a big IF however, so I do understand Turbo's skepticism.

Malone Stage 2 / DSG Flash / Rawtek Exhaust.

Last edited by Oilerlord; February 23rd, 2017 at 06:54.
Oilerlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 20:12   #49
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Thank you,
2003 JSW 1.8T future TDI, silver. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 12:04   #50
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovan+tdi View Post
HID's bulbs do emit their light in a 360 arc, there is no reflector on the bulb. LED's are terrible in an HID or halogen bulb projector headlight, learned that one the hard way.
I know, and that is what I said.

To clarify - if we get all fancy and specify x,y,z axis then on two (lets say x,y) HID emits uninterrupted 360 degrees. The other axis (z) will have a very minor interruption at 2 points where the electrodes shade the arc. In most HID bulbs these are positioned in such a way that there is no negative effect of the shadow.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 17:51   #51
baddowg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aknovaman View Post
On a side note, i replaced 48, 60 watt incandescent conventional light bulbs in my house at a cost of approximately $120. My electric bill dropped by 40%. Return on investment or should i say, they paid for themselves in 2 months. Plus i have not replaced a light bulb in over a year since the changeout.

I replaced the majority of the lights in my house to LED (lights we use the most) my electric bill dropped $20 a month consistently ( as per pervious monthly wattage use)
baddowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 18:15   #52
1.9ZOOK
Veteran Member

TDI(s): ALH Samurai
Fuel Economy: pending

Why not hook up an inverter and use household bulbs
1.9ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 10:21   #53
Andyinchville1
Veteran Member

HI Guys,

Been doing a lot of night driving and because of that my normal bulbs have been dying off slowly but surely...

With that I decided to run down to the local Advance Auto and buy replacement LEDs (Sylvania LEDs) for the bulbs that died out ( 1 rear tag light, a right rear tail light, A bumper side marker light....I even decided to go delux and replace my back up lights with LEDs even tho they still worked).

My findings were as follows...

I replaced the small tail light accidentally with a 1156 regular bulb and or LED but the replacements were too bright......so unless I changed all 4 tail light bulbs for the same, the rear running lights (tail lights) would look funny.... I went back with the regular sized incandescent small bulbs (only because I did not have enough LEDs to replace all at once and did not want a few light positions being asymmetrically bright)

With that, I decided to just try replacing the Turn signals with LEDs.

The signals did not hyper flash but I could see that the LEDs were ironically slightly dimmer than the factory bulbs (the LEDs did have a faster full on and shut off while the incandescent had a slight ramp up to full brightness and ramp down when turning off....win for sharper on / off has to go to LED BUT in this case NOT for brightness).

I decided to compare a LED back up light against a factory back up light.

I replaced the passenger side back up light with the LED and left the "normal" bulb on the drivers side and asked my girlfriend on her opinion on which light she liked better (she had no idea which bulb was which).

Upon seeing the lights she commented that she liked the color of the Passenger side bulb better (the LED in this case) BUT she said for crazy brightness she'd have to go with the bulb on the drivers side (the factory bulb!).....Ugh... so much for Sylvania LEDs !

I am returning the LEDs to Advance auto and I did order some back up lights from the
deautokey (they are a sponsor on this site).

Hopefully their $54 back up LEDs will be blindingly bright!.......I can hardly wait to see how they compare (I needed better back up lights because the windows are dark tinted on the wagon).

Oh I almost forgot, the license plate LED from Advance seemed plenty bright so Im keeping it and will replace the other plate light with the same LED when it burns out..

I wonder how many more MPGs Ill get with the replacements !?! HA
Andyinchville1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 13:45   #54
Dieselmonkey02
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 jetta
Fuel Economy: 48-50 avg. 44 lowest 51.5 highest

Maybe tear the antenna off and put a wind powered generator in its place? Lots of room for solar panels on the roof too. ( sorry couldn't resist )
Dieselmonkey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 01:29   #55
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

Blindingly bright. Yes. Let's.

For the past 9 years I've been driving home at night; anywhere between 2300 & 0200. With manufacturers switching overnight to LEDs, I've not really minded. The low-frequency PWM control is annoying as hell, but worse yet are OE's like Toyota who use clear, undiffused lenses with 60 angle, 5 mm high power LEDs. These are literally blindingly bright. So much that when I'm within the 6 car lengths and in the FOV of the LED's beam, I cannot see the car to its left or right, let along the traffic in front of it. It's worse yet when you're in rush hour traffics, which for here lasts about 10 hrs of a 24 hr day.

A bulb, LED or incandescent, only needs 300-500 lumens. I do realize you mean "blindingly bright" as a jest, such lights are quite literally a hazard and impair visions making it unecessarily difficult to discern traffics conditions. Head over to superbrightleds.com. Decent prices for a standard bulb.
Old March 19th, 2017, 03:42   #56
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Part of the problem with modern car headlights (LEDs specifically) is that manufacturers are opting to go with higher color temperature lights for "increased visibility" for the driver. Unfortunately, higher color temperature lights also result in increased glare. Toyota is guilty of this with the Corolla and Ford with the Explorer.

Personally, I would prefer a warmer/lower color temperature - perhaps something in the 3000K range. There would be less Rayleigh scattering, the lights would perform better in poor weather conditions, and the dazzling of oncoming traffic would be reduced.

This is the same argument that we're seeing with LED street lights, with many municipalities installing 6000K LEDs for their high efficiency. Unfortunately, that much blue light at night causes sleep disruption for people and animals and contributes to significantly increased amounts of light pollution when compared to lower color temperature fixtures. The American Medical Association and the International Darksky Association both make very compelling arguments against high CCT LEDs.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 08:13   #57
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

Our local town has been installing those silly LED street lights that are much less bright than the HPS/mercurys they replaced and are much more blinding. Very annoying.

The kicker is that is that HPS is equal or better efficiency to LEDs.
turbocharged798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 13:43   #58
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocharged798 View Post
Our local town has been installing those silly LED street lights that are much less bright than the HPS/mercurys they replaced and are much more blinding. Very annoying.

The kicker is that is that HPS is equal or better efficiency to LEDs.
HPS is only better at raw lamp output in large lamps. 400 watt HPS lamps ring in at about 125 lumens per watt. That doesn't take into account efficiency losses from the ballast (another 50 watts or so) or efficiency losses in the fixture optics (another 10% or more depending on fixture design).

Low pressure sodium is more efficient, but it's expensive to maintain and a lot of people complain about its lack of color rendering.

The ideal solution for street lights is narrow band amber (similar to LPS) or selective filtered amber LEDs (filters to remove blue light below a certain part of the spectrum). Also, specking the lights such that areas aren't being over-lit and the light only goes where you want it rather than into the sky or bedroom windows.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 19:16   #59
Dannyboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2014- 1168km per tank

It would be nice to see laser headlights at more affordable price, seen some on the r8 and they make a huge difference.
Dannyboy is online now   Reply With Quote