Amsoil In this Thread only

Which AMSOIL?

• Total voters

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Well sure. But having Amsoil on the label makes it at least worth as a minimum $5 to $10 more per quart.

I don't understand the poll. There is no selection for heck no I don't use Amsoil products of any kind. The pollster may have been drinking way to much of the Amsoil Cool-Aid.

At work I have had folks from the Amsoil cult follow me around trying to convince me why I'm such an imbecile for not using Amsoil products. Apparently I'm intentionally trying to destroy my engine.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
There is no selection for heck no I don't use Amsoil products of any kind.
So why are you even posting here? :rolleyes:

You sort of fit what was envisioned back in 2006:

The rules are that I will probably lock it after a few days because the anti-Amsoil cult will fill it with empty posts that will only encourage another endless redundant beat-a-dead-horse dead-end debate, complete with redundant photos of hand painted " Motorcycle Inspection & repair Amsoil Oil for sale" signs that add nothing to whatever is being debated.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Well sure. But having Amsoil on the label makes it at least worth as a minimum $5 to $10 more per quart.

I don't understand the poll. There is no selection for heck no I don't use Amsoil products of any kind. The pollster may have been drinking way to much of the Amsoil Cool-Aid.

At work I have had folks from the Amsoil cult follow me around trying to convince me why I'm such an imbecile for not using Amsoil products. Apparently I'm intentionally trying to destroy my engine.:rolleyes:
I actually agree...
Some of their oils are decent....but since they use a different type of marketing/distribution system, I am always amazed that so many of their reps DON'T SAY THEY SELL IT.
Post an thread, and a bunch of folks will post glowing reviews....and dug...and some are sellers...so much so that there r threads ARE LOCKED for a reason....
Gotta love their "limited liability warrenty"....they say their oils meet the specs they sell themas meeting to the best if their knowledge, but the oils have never been TESTED or CERTIFIED to meet the specs....
Yes...my CR-V had AMSOL in it now...the shop that did its oil change, owned by a friend gets it cheap....know the right person, it is not pricey.....and for some cars not needed a unique oil, imo, out is a decent boutique oil....no fountain of youth...but a premium product.

Last edited:

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Whoa, that's expensive.
Yup...and the trick is if you read AMSOLS info it has a "limited liability warrenty" ,basicly says they believe it meets the specs for the uses they sell it for...but the secret is, IT IS NOT TESTED OR CERTIFIED to meet them...
Ran into this with MINI/BMW euro Long life oils from AMSOL....yes they have a "drop in replacement", but never certified to the spec, so no warrenty protection.
So people would pay extra for a "better" product...but might have their warrenty voided, and have to chase after AMSOL to get their $$ according to their warrenty.....

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta

The rules are that I will probably lock it after a few days because the anti-Amsoil cult will fill it with empty posts that will only encourage another endless redundant beat-a-dead-horse dead-end debate, complete with redundant photos of hand painted " Motorcycle Inspection & repair Amsoil Oil for sale" signs that add nothing to whatever is being debated.
Well, because my point is valid.

The only reason the thread might get locked is if it ends up with people hurling insults at each other. The poll amounts to asking if you like butter on your toast or do you like butter on your toast?

In regards to IBW's post, "Whoa, that's expensive", You can get actual OE VW DSG fluid from ESC tuning for $18 that actually has a real VW approval. Amsoils "because we say so" marketing approach is just so much snake oil.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta

Perhaps a little history is in order here. Amsoil was one of the first if not the first early sellers of a full synthetic motor oil. As we know now, you can double your OCI easily by about double over Dino oil with a full synthetic.

All Amsoil really did was built their marketing on that. Would I run Amsoil in my wife's Camry? Sure, if I could get a good price on it. My BRM Dub? No because it is not approved by VW.

All of the sky is falling dead horse debate stuff, just have a good time with that...........

Last edited:

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
Amsoil is a religion. You have to believe and if you don't you are an outcast to be hated, shunned, and stoned.

I personally reject the Amsoil religion as nonsense but I'm like that with all religious beliefs.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
My father few jets with AL and was one of the first dealers in the 70's and he will be the first to admit its not for everyone and not for everything. We use there gear oil (mostly because he hauls a 26' travel trailer with a chevy 1/2 ton that has a tiny 10 bolt rear axle) and there 2 stroke oils are superior to even the best motorcycle specific oils, I was able to get away with 1 or 2 steps leaner jetting on my CR250R win races with the added power and only need to re-ring half as often as friends running bel-ray, maxima or silkoline oils :D
Now, running ten buck a quart oil in a commuter rig vs a mobil 1 product at half that price is silly in my mind.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Anyone using the Amsoil DCT in their DSG and what you think of it. It is costly but it has a really cold pour point of -72 degs F along with other very good point in my opinion. Looks to me the better choice out of all the lubes for the DSG. So what is your opinions if you have and or are using it.

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
Good to see that there is an Amsoil option for the DSG. I'll be using it on general principle. I've used nothing but Amsoil for every possible lubrication purpose except sex for the last 20 years, in cars, trucks, lawn mowers, weed eaters, hydraulic wheelchair lifts, and everything else.

Amazingly enough none of the equipment has failed, and Satan has not opened the gates of Hell and dragged me down to the Stygian depths.

I have no doubt that any other quality lubricants would have done just as well. I use Amsoil because they deliver it to my house and because it irritates certain people.

Anyway.....I'm probably going to use the European Car Formula because that's what Amsoil recommends and because it meets 507.00.

If they'd make sex jelly I'd use that too.

-mickey

Last edited:

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
Amsoil is a religion. You have to believe and if you don't you are an outcast to be hated, shunned, and stoned.

I personally reject the Amsoil religion as nonsense but I'm like that with all religious beliefs.
I'm an atheist and don't care what you use. "I use Amsoil and my engine hasn't worn out" doesn't make you a cultist. It makes you a person who is smart enough to change his oil.

The only "cult" that I see is the anti-Amsoil crowd who obsess about it but cannot cite a single case of equipment failure associated with the use of Amsoil.

It's just oil.

-mickey

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
Well, because my point is valid.

The only reason the thread might get locked is if it ends up with people hurling insults at each other. The poll amounts to asking if you like butter on your toast or do you like butter on your toast?

In regards to IBW's post, "Whoa, that's expensive", You can get actual OE VW DSG fluid from ESC tuning for $18 that actually has a real VW approval. Amsoils "because we say so" marketing approach is just so much snake oil.
VW approves their own stuff? Amazing. I'm sold. [/sarcasm]

ZERO chance your transmission is going to detonate because of Amsoil. Obviously VW is going to market their own stuff. But they know perfectly well it's just oil.

When equipment fails because of a particular brand of lubricant I'll pay attention. Until them.....it's Amsoil because the UPS guy will leave it on my porch.

-mickey

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Anyway.....I'm probably going to use the European Car Formula because that's what Amsoil recommends and because it meets 507.00.
Clearly nothing is going to change your mind, but Amsoil has no VW manufacturer certifications. So it doesn't meet 507.00.

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
Yup...and the trick is if you read AMSOLS info it has a "limited liability warrenty" ,basicly says they believe it meets the specs for the uses they sell it for...but the secret is, IT IS NOT TESTED OR CERTIFIED to meet them...
Ran into this with MINI/BMW euro Long life oils from AMSOL....yes they have a "drop in replacement", but never certified to the spec, so no warrenty protection.
So people would pay extra for a "better" product...but might have their warrenty voided, and have to chase after AMSOL to get their $$ according to their warrenty.....
What does "tested and certified" mean?

"Tested": "We put it in the car and it didn't break."

"Certified": "We put our stamp on it because we want to sell it."

I'd say the burden is on the naysayer to point to a case of equipment failure due to the use of a particular brand of lubricant. No failures = non-issue.

Nor can anyone point to a case of a manufacturer successfully getting out of a warranty coverage because of Amsoil.

Until problems are noted Amsoil is just fine by me. If I'm the guy whose transmission bites the dust because of Amsoil you can feel free to say "I told you so." People have been waiting 20 years to tell me that. Who knows? It may happen someday.

It's just oil. The dealer already has enough of my money.

-mickey

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
Clearly nothing is going to change your mind, but Amsoil has no VW manufacturer certifications. So it doesn't meet 507.00.
It isn't CERTIFED to meet 507.00. Whether or not it meets the specifications is another matter entirely. Do you have any evidence to suggest that it does not? Do you know of any equipment failures anywhere in the world since time began that are the fault of Amsoil?

If not, I'd say "it's just oil." Use what you like.

My mind will be changed by actual facts and evidence, not by emotion. If the stuff is poison then why hasn't any of my equipment failed? Ever? I don't know how many bazillion miles the Evil Beetle has on it now. Probably well over 300,000. Still going strong, and still a test bed for insane mods. I know personally that it not only ran with Amsoil for the first 180,000 miles but it also had a bypass filter (Amsoil) and never even had the oil drained during that period. So why hasn't it blown up yet? (Aside from a LOT of turbos....but they'll always blow if you push them hard enough.)

Ditto for the transmission. And every other car and truck and lawn mower and weed-eater and motorcycle I've owned for 20 years. NO failures.

That doesn't mean Amsoil is better, because any quality lubricant will do that, but it DOES mean Amsoil is at least as good and there is no reason to worry about it.

-mickey

Last edited:

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
How the different VW specs compare:

http://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/vw_motor_oil_specifications_explained.php

Note that there is NO mention at all of "certification." You get "certified" by VW by PAYING VW for certification. That doesn't mean that a non-certified oil doesn't meet the specs. It doesn't mean it hasn't been tested to meet the specs.

Nor does "certification" mean that Volkswagen has actually tested the product. There are dozens, if not hundreds of 507.00 "certified" oils. Does anyone actually believe Volkswagen put them all through the paces? I don't. At best, they LOOKED at the test results provided by the manufacturer, cashed the check, and issued the stamp. That's how it works.

In other words: Manufacturers SELF-CERTIFY their own products, just like Amsoil. If they so choose they then pay equipment manufacturers for "certification."

The fantasy that there is a laboratory somewhere with uptight Germans in white lab coats obsessively testing every brand of oil on the planet is just silly.

-mickey

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
I will keep using Amsoil forever. And believe me, if it ever causes a problem I will LOUDLY denounce the product.

Consider me your personal guinea pig. I'm 20 years into the "study." Hopefully I've got another 20 or 30 to go. I'll let you know how it turns out.

-mickey

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Like I said, I had no doubt that you would stick to using Amsoil. Just pointing out it doesn't have VW's certification. That's all.

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
Like I said, I had no doubt that you would stick to using Amsoil. Just pointing out it doesn't have VW's certification. That's all.
That I will agree with. It does not have VW's official certification. I'm just saying that is a totally separate issue from whether or not it MEETS specifications.

And, for warranty issues, it doesn't need to be "certified."

There was a time when this debate could only be theoretical, and therefore debate was to some extent justifiable. But TDIs have been running Amsoil for more than 20 years now, with millions of miles racked up. There is no longer any reason for theory. IN PRACTICE have any failures occurred because of Amsoil use? Is the failure rate greater than it has been for VW dealer-supplied oil? (As we all know the DEALERS don't even use "certified" oil all the time.) Has VW ever successfully dodged a warranty claim because of the use of Amsoil?

I have never heard a single case of any of those things happening.

It's like the difference between theorizing that the world is round and actually sailing around the world. Once Magellan's guys did that the theory was over and had become fact.

The FACT is that Amsoil performs at least as well as anything else, and VW won't bother you. The ship has returned. The world is round.

Therefore, logically, I posit that the debate is now silly and pointless. Use what you like. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever.

I'll stick with Amsoil because I have no reason not to. In 20 years it hasn't let me down, so I see no reason to change. And truth be told I've occasionally used other synthetic oils if the need arose and I didn't happen to have the Amsoil available. I didn't lose a single moment of sleep over it.

-mickey

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Nothing wrong with Amsoil. But you can get just about any oil delivered to your doorstep these days.

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
At least in the case of the 507.00 the "certification" debate is moot: Amsoil European Car Formula 5w30 is MANUFACTURER APPROVED for 504.00 and 507.00

They list a lot of specs that the oil MEETS, but then in bold print they specifically list MANUFACTURER APPROVALS: VW 504.00 and 507.00

It is CERTIFIED by Volkswagen to meet 504.00 and 507.00 That's what "Manufacturer Approval" means, and is the same wording every other "Certified" product uses. Unless Amsoil is outright lying. (And if you believe that then there is no convincing you, period.)

-mickey

p.s. I was just checking to see if Mobil 1 is "certified." Guess what? IT'S NOT, if you're putting it in a Ford or most GM products. It also "meets" certain ACEA, API and ILSAC specifications, but there is no "certification."

It is MANUFACTURER APPROVED for GM DEXOS-1 specifically (complete with certification number) and for Honda/Acura. Nobody else. Not VW, Audi, Porsche, Mercedes, Hyundai, Toyota, Nissan, Fiat, Chrysler, BMW, Yugo, Hudson.......ANYBODY. Just Honda/Acura and certain GM cars. That's from Mobil's own product data sheet.

As I said in a previous comment: It is pure fantasy to believe that ANY oil is "certified" by every manufacturer, or even by most of them. You are ALWAYS going by the word of the oil manufacturer. But is Ford going to void your warranty if you use Mobil 1? I don't think so.

The only evidence that Mobil 1 meets most manufacturer specs is that Mobil SAYS it does. Just like Amsoil. So enough already with the "certification" nonsense. I can't believe a decade later this is even still a debate.

I submit to you that if you want a VW-approved oil meeting 507.00 then Amsoil is one of the very few options out there. Don't you just love irony?

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
OK, I'll bite. This is what their spec sheet says:

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL European Car Formula 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil is engineered for use in gasoline or diesel vehicles that require any of the following specifications:

API SN; SM…
ACEA C3
BMW LL-04
Mercedes Benz 229.51
Porsche C30
GM dexos 2™
Chrysler MS-11106
Manufacturer Approvals: VW 504.00, 507.00

For me the key words are in the top paragraph: engineered for use in. That doesn't mean it's approved. The last bullet is vague to me, as it follows the words "engineered for use in." So I'm not certain if it has the approval or not.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
There are literally hundreds of oils that have approval from VW for the 507 spec. Mobil has four oils with VW 507 approval. I don't see any amsoil products on the official approved oils list. My guess is that they could get approval if they were willing to pay for the certification.

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
OK, I'll bite. This is what their spec sheet says:

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL European Car Formula 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil is engineered for use in gasoline or diesel vehicles that require any of the following specifications:

API SN; SM…
ACEA C3
BMW LL-04
Mercedes Benz 229.51
Porsche C30
GM dexos 2™
Chrysler MS-11106
Manufacturer Approvals: VW 504.00, 507.00

For me the key words are in the top paragraph: engineered for use in. That doesn't mean it's approved. The last bullet is vague to me, as it follows the words "engineered for use in." So I'm not certain if it has the approval or not.
"Engineered for use in" is marketing speak.

"Manufacturer approval" means the vehicle manufacturer has specifically approved the product for use in their vehicle. CERTIFIED.

Exactly the same words that Mobil uses. (In the rare cases where Mobil 1 is "certified.")

Volkswagen has specifically approved the Amsoil product for use in applications requiring 504.00 or 507.00. Period. There is no wiggling out if it.

Furthermore, Mobil has NO product that has VW's actual approval.

-mickey

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
There are literally hundreds of oils that have approval from VW for the 507 spec. Mobil has four oils with VW 507 approval. I don't see any amsoil products on the official approved oils list. My guess is that they could get approval if they were willing to pay for the certification.
So your position is that Amsoil is lying? They singled out the VW approval in bold print, using different wording, because they're interested in lying to VW owners?

Sounds like a conspiracy.....

I know some of you are feeling a bit like the opening day crowd at Disneyland North Korea right now, but despite your shattered world-view the fact remains: Amsoil European Car Formula 5w30 is APPROVED BY VW for 504.00 and 507.00. Don't think so? Sue 'em. And let VWoA know.

Suddenly the REM song "Losing My Religion" is running through my head for some reason.....

-mickey

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
Mobil 1 does not have any approval from VW according to their own data sheet. They do have other synthetic oils under the Mobil 1 banner. I didn't look up all of them. But Mobil 1 is "approved" by Honda/Acura and in limited GM applications.

They also list two other GM specs as being "Approved by MOBIL". (Their words.)

Come on.....game over. Move on.

-mickey