www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old October 9th, 2002, 11:09   #1
davidbru
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta
Default Water pump replacement?

My question goes out to all the high mileage cars out there. Has anyone had a water pump failure? My reason for asking is I am getting ready to change my timing belt and while I am in there I am wondering if I should change my pump and tensioner also? My car prior to the jetta (Dodge Intrepid) I changed just the belt because everything else seemed fine, only to have the water pump go out 5000 miles later and the tensioner to break after that. If I had just changed them all at once I would have saved me alot of time.
davidbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2002, 11:26   #2
Karl
Veteran Member

Default Re: Water pump replacement?

From other posts throughout Fred's page, it seems the general consensus on the water pump replacement at TB change is to do it while you're there, rather than have a failure shortly thereafter. But you already have learned this [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .
I did my first timing belt before I even found this forum. I'll be changing a few of my methods as well, thanks to the knowledge provided here.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2002, 19:19   #3
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

Well the conventional wisdom is to always always replace the timing belt tensioner. Of course you are going to put in the 80,000 mile belt, n'est-ce pas?

The water pump is more problematic, if it shows any sign of weeping, replace it!!
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2002, 04:36   #4
David Buckler

Fuel Economy: 55/42/38

When dealer did the timing belt they say the water pump was leaking so they replaced it under warranty.

I would replace it.
David Buckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2002, 05:45   #5
redtdi96
Veteran Member

I did B4 t-belt w/o water pump change. 2 months later I did pump, then I did it again 3 months later!
redtdi96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2002, 10:08   #6
TEXAS_TDI
BANNED

It's up to you if you want to replace the water pump or not. I didn't replace my water pump at 59k miles. I'm just praying that my water pump will last until the new timing belt change at 140k miles.
TEXAS_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2002, 13:56   #7
banzai
Veteran Member

TDI(s): NB TDI
Fuel Economy: 47 all the time

I had new waterpump done at 62K- was $121 at dealer- no additional labor to install- $5 for coolant- was glad I had it done.

How much is waterpump job??

I hear/see cars with bad serpentine belt/timing belt tensioner pulleys- makes car sound really bad!
banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2002, 15:50   #8
car54
theGAME

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta

The timing belt on the A4 99.5+ cars is driven off the timing belt and should be changed at the second belt change. I wouldnt change it at 40. 60, or 80k. It should easily last until the second belt change.
car54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2002, 16:52   #9
VW Petrolero
Veteran Member

Car 54 Ithink you ment the water pump is driven by the TB .Please correct your post.
Just my .02 cts. Canadian that is.
Tony
VW Petrolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2002, 13:07   #10
osidak
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 00 Jetta TDI
Fuel Economy: 69/51/42

When I replaced BamaTDI's timming belt at ~55,000 miles I found his water pumping showing signs of total failure in the very near future. Bama had brought a new one so it was replaced.

The idler pulley that is right next to the water pump was showing signs of coolant leaks and the sprocket on the pump was tight and notchy feeling. The pump also made a squelling noise when rotated by hand.

I will be replacing mine when I do my 2nd belt change at 100K miles (first belt done at 40K) I will then plan to replace it every 80K miles. At this point I believe my pump is starting to fail.

osidak
osidak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2002, 15:22   #11
BongoBrains
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41.1 min. (1st tank); 63.58 max, (B20)

Quote:
Originally posted by davidbru:
My question still remains? How many people have had water pump failures?...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mine failed at 52k miles. Bearings were scattered about, and I was lucky not to have had a catastrophic situation. (TB break or skip a tooth, ruin the head, etc...)

My advice is to change the pump and tensioner at every TB change without a doubt. (This is an absolute NO BRAINER when installing the 80k belt...) It's not worth the risk and / or hassle of having to deal with it after the fact.
BongoBrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2002, 19:39   #12
Bookerdog
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Not known yet

REPLACE IT! 1. It's a pain in the arse to do it again soon after your TB change. 2. There are LOTS of reports of these TB driven pumps leaking or completely failing at or before the FIRST TB change.

The TB has much more tension on it than did the old accessory belt driven pump, and the bearings on those had trouble lasting 120k miles. Now that more and more of these cars are getting to the 60-80k mark, I think you're going to hear it recommended to do the water pump at every TB change.
Bookerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2002, 00:58   #13
davidbru
Veteran Member

My question still remains? How many people have had water pump failures? I am just trying to find out if there is a common failure time, say 100000 or whatever. So you guys (or girls--must stay politically correct) with high miles, have you had a failure or was it changed with TB.
Old October 12th, 2002, 07:14   #14
davidbru
Veteran Member

Thanks to all who responded! I was definetly leaning toward replacing it anyhow after the Intrepid incident, and I didn't realize so many people were changing it out of necessity [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Since I will be going with a 80k belt I will add it to the parts I need to order. Why doesn't someone offer a complete "package deal" including the water pump, belts, bolts, gaskets, and seal? That would make life real easy when ordering.
Old October 12th, 2002, 10:01   #15
redtdi96
Veteran Member

96 passat TDI failed water pump 59K, second 59.2K

95 passat VR6 failed water pump 49K (replaced under warranty).

95 passat vr6 failed water pump 101K (doing next weekend)
redtdi96 is offline   Reply With Quote