www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old October 13th, 2002, 22:57   #1
sootscreen

Default How much for an A2 TDi Swap

Well I've wanted an A2 gti tdi for sometime now, and I'm now interested in actually pursuing one. My two questions are:
1. What parts need to be swaped?
I'm guessing the engine, ecu, pedals, gauge cluster, gas tank, gas lines, and probably a bunch more.
2 How many hours would be involved in the swap? I don't really have the time or the space to do the work myself, so it would end up all being done by the mechanic.

About how much should I expect to spend on parts and labor?

Thanks for your help.
sootscreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2002, 17:16   #2
TEXAS_TDI
BANNED

Default Re: How much for an A2 TDi Swap

You need to talk to Jim. He swapped a MK3 TDI into a MK2 Corrado. www.dieselgeek.com
TEXAS_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2002, 17:25   #3
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

How much do you want to spend?

As long as this number is at least enough to cover the original vehicle, a complete hit-from-anywhere-but-front A3 Jetta TDI donor vehicle (which you will need), and enough to cover swapping the entire drivetrains, re-wiring, making a custom intercooler setup, swapping pedal clusters, swapping gearchange linkage, and somehow dealing with the ECU-to-instrument-cluster communication issues (will a complete A3 dash fit an A2???), plus a multitude of major or minor chores that I haven't thought of, then beyond that ... how much do you want to spend?

The one that I know of (Jason Crabtree's) apparently cost about C$20,000 by the time he was done.

That said, I know it has been done several times, and I'm sure that the amount spent has varied a LOT.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2002, 03:33   #4
christi
Veteran Member

If you are really serious then you need an engine from an A3 or B4 Passat. An engine from an A4 is considerably harder to do.

You will need a lot of electrical stuff, the fly by wire throttle, ECU, all of the sensors and control solenoids.

It would be much easier to get an A2 diesel and drop a 1.9 turbo diesel (non TDI) in it. No electronics hassles.
christi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2002, 17:36   #5
Jason Crabtree
Veteran Member

I guess Go Faster's estimate was pretty good. I've never added up the bills (to avoid depression). I do know I did a lot more than just pop a tdi in an A2. I did lights, fenders, seats, alarm, mirrors, tint, brakes (front & rear), sway bars, strut brace, chip etc...etc....etc. All that added up.

Check out the pictures under the Golf section (or do a search on my name)

Since the swap, all those years ago (and I dropped off the board for various reasons, such as time etc), I'm still at it although a lot slower (a mortgage and a wife will put a brake on a lot of car activity), I did manage to move to a front mount intercooler set up (too many popped of hoses from its initial set up) and got a Porsche 944 turbo intercooler plumbed.

I know Ron's Parts can do the swap and it won't be cheap. But call around to different shops. It is an involved swap. It helped that I already had a diesel so I didn't have to worry about tanks & lines.

Its not easy to do it yourself, but there are a couple people who have done it. Look for Farfrompumpin's project (I think that's his moniker)

J. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Jason Crabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2002, 20:13   #6
tango_28
Veteran Member

Here's one for sale:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/NonCGI/ult...c;f=7;t=003081
tango_28 is offline   Reply With Quote