Mazda SkyActiv Diesel Engine

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
I am waiting for confirmation of this, but I've heard that Mazda is quietly trying to judge if there is interest in the diesel version of the Mazda5 sold in Europe (which has a 6 speed manual transmission).

The Mazda5 is a microvan based on the Mazda3 chassis, and seats 6.

I will post more as I have it, but if you would buy one, let me know here.
I would take at least one!

Here's a review:
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123633092

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I have only driven the Mazda 3&6. They are good drivers. I think the minivan looks better in the flesh. It looks like a real nice package and would be an excellant test for the market place. I would be very tempted by a diesel version. The 140hp model would be sweet.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I would not be interested in a diesel Mazda5. (Because I wouldn't be interested in a Mazda5, or any other vehicle in that class. ;))

However, a friend of mine has a Mazda3, and it's a HOT car. Put a diesel in, and VW will have trouble keeping me as a customer. BTW, if Mazda would have had a diesel that were biodiesel compatible, I suspect that that friend of mine would have gotten it instead of the 2.3 that she got.

VWannabe

Veteran Member
Yes, I would consider one VERY seriously. I will have a family of four shortly and this would be awesome with the diesel (I will take the high output version, please). The sliding doors are also very nice, especially in a small vehicle like this. My wife would probably want it, but I would drive it if I could. Very cool and the Mazda5 has been well received in the states. A diesel version would change a lot of minds about diesels.

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
owr084 said:
MPV - more room than the 5, but not a pig like the oddy or sienna...
So what makes the Odyssey a "pig"? I've achieved over 27 MPG on the highway with my VCM equipped Odyssey. (It's rated at 28 hwy). That mileage beats the socks off the scrawny MPV. This is probably the reason Mazda is DROPPING the MPV after the 2006 model year. I didn't even consider it after I saw the mileage ratings. Now if Honda chooses to offer us a turbo diesel Odyssey with VCM (variable cylinder management) I'll be first in line. I would like to see the Mazda 5 offered in the US, but Mazda would have a hard sell to me as it is just too small to work as a family vehicle (for me). Plus Mazdas aren't known to achieve the MPGs other makers are able to deliver. I had a Mazda 6 for a rental car last summer in South Dakota. No matter how hard I tried I could only get 21 MPG with that car. The interior was certainly not VW quality either... not even close.

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Sign Me Up!

What Mazda needs to do is bring in common rail diesel 3's and 6's to the U.S. Secondly, although Hondas may have fewer "bringbacks" to the dealer, I would never buy a Honda over a Mazda. The Mazda engines are extremely reliable and rugged, and their metal is a lot better than that "Renoylds Wrap" TIN that Honda uses on their cars. HONDA...ON A QUIET NIGHT YOU CAN HEAR IT RUST!:eek:

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta-sold
"I would never buy a Honda over a Mazda." You got that right:) .

A Mazda 3 or 6 diesel I would buy. Honda Accord or Civic, no. I had a "premium" Honda-Acura RSX Type-S. Nice engine and shifter, and that was it. Leather no good, considering how much it cost lacked items its competitors had/have.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Well, the official word from Mazda is no, they are not considering it. But we'll see...

buckeye96

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta ?
Mazda makes commitment to diesels

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/26/mazda-makes-commitment-to-diesels-weight-reduction-over-hybrids/

Mazda makes commitment to diesels, weight reduction over hybrids

Not long ago, the premium German manufacturers said they were going to push diesels instead of hopping on the hybrid train, but we see where that's gone: Porsche has hybrids, BMW is pushing its coming hybrids, and Mercedes is oozing its hybrid desires everywhere. Of course, all three brands have diesels, too, but they seem to be hedging their bets that gas-electric is the wave of the future... at least for North America. Now, Mazda has gone on record with CNN, saying that it is dedicated to diesels and weight reduction, and the company plans to have a diesel that can post mild hybrid-like fuel economy numbers by 2011.

The 2.0-liter clean diesel that Mazda has in mind would sip gas like the 660-cc gas engine in a kei car, and be as efficient as a hybrid like those using GM's BAS system or BMW's Efficient Dynamics. The diesel will employ Mazda's single-nanotechnology system, which can allow for fewer precious metals in catalytic converters, and a newly developed particulate filter that alone can do the job of additional treatment systems.

What's special about the plan is that Mazda says its diesel engine will be cheaper, and the weight reduction will "be achieved at lower cost." Mazda's R&D chief said, "We believe that improving today's conventional engines at a low cost is the most effective way to get fuel-efficient cars to proliferate." If Mazda really can sell a lighter, more efficient production car with proven technology, then sign us up.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I doubt Mazda will do much of anything without Ford's approval. After all, pretty much everything they currently sell in North America is mostly Ford, powered by Ford, rebadged Ford, built by Ford, controlled by Ford, etc.

lbhskier37

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet (2008 soon)
oilhammer said:
I doubt Mazda will do much of anything without Ford's approval. After all, pretty much everything they currently sell in North America is mostly Ford, powered by Ford, rebadged Ford, built by Ford, controlled by Ford, etc.
Maybe this is actually a Ford move. It seems like Ford is betting on DI gas engines, but maybe it is hedging that bet by putting diesels in Mazda to test the waters. I would love a Mazda 6 with a diesel.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
I bet Ford is behind this given the backlast to not bringin the ECOnetic over.

It would be interesting if the Mazdas sold well, if they did I bet we'd see Focus CRDs available. If so my mom might actually consider another Ford product (setting ourselves up for failure, again?)

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
They could have worded this sentence differently:

"The Hiroshima-based automaker has set a target "

I guess as long as they don't call the car the Enola Gay.

oilhammer

TDI
RC said:
.... Or a 6 wagon.
And that would be easy, since Ford already sells the Mondeo Estate in Europe with a diesel engine. :) Which is the same car, just different badging.

They already sell a Focus diesel there too. Which is the same as the 3 (and the smallest Volvo) with different badging.

So if Ford has not done it, and WON'T do it apperently, I would not hold my breath that Mazda will.:rolleyes:

...oh, the Mondeo Estate is one of the top picks for use as a tow car for travel trailers in the UK. Amazing! A whole country CAN function without the use of big gas V8 pickup trucks everywhere!!! :cool:

Kiwi_ME

Veteran Member
TDI
'18 Kona EV, ex '03 Golf TDI, '82 Rabbit Diesel
oilhammer said:
Amazing! A whole country CAN function without the use of big gas V8 pickup trucks everywhere!!! :cool:
Of course sometimes the Brits, like Kiwi's here are (ahem..) over-optimistic about what sort of car is suitable and safe for towing. No Class-3 spec hitches here, it's whatever the local garage can throw together with an arc welder.

People want what they can't have. Here, a American V8 pickup with a right-hand-drive conversion will sell for the price of a small house, while new diesel Corollas languish on the dealer's lots.

oilhammer

TDI
paul a said:
Of course sometimes the Brits, like Kiwi's here are (ahem..) over-optimistic about what sort of car is suitable and safe for towing. No Class-3 spec hitches here, it's whatever the local garage can throw together with an arc welder.

People want what they can't have. Here, a American V8 pickup with a right-hand-drive conversion will sell for the price of a small house, while new diesel Corollas languish on the dealer's lots.
You and I should buy a boat, I think I have a good business proposition for the both of us. :D

oilhammer

TDI
It was so funny, someone I knew had a relative that was visiting from England. We went out one night, and he simply could not stop gawking at Camaros of all things. :rolleyes: We (Yanks) all laughed, because we were all pretty much in agreement that the F-body was the poster child for white trash trailer parks. He (the Brit) did not get the joke. We all got a good laugh.

I guess anything that is built of pure 'Unobtainium' will be coveted. Look at what T3 Dokas sell for here when people have them! :eek:

Kiwi_ME

Veteran Member
TDI
Generally folks anywhere outside of NA are fascinated with American muscle and classic cars, and Kiwi's are huge fans. But they are completely unaware of those long-developed stereotypes. Our equivalent to the Camero is a 90's Nissan Skyline - the choice car for boy racers - not new, but imported as a used vehicle from Japan as most of our incoming vehicles are. It is not possible to own one without looking like a complete tool.

On a similar note, owning a diesel here gives me no street cred at all. Diesel SUV's are in the vast majority and mentioning you own one is social suicide - unless it is towing a very nice boat. The person who wishes to stand out buys a gasoline SUV.

Diesel cars on the other hand are still uncommon but readily available new. There is a strong public perception that the diesel version is more expensive to maintain and saves you nothing in the end. With a new-price premium of about 10%, that unfortunately ends up being nearly true.

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Mazda Fan

I have never made any secret of the fact that I bought my TDI's because they were diesels; NOT because they were VW's. You heard it here: if Mazda gets serious about this diesel technology, they will administer the biggest a$$ kicking to VW that they have ever experienced.:eek:

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I wish they still offered the 6 wagon here, which was replaced by the CX7. The wife's 04 wagon has been a delightful car, so far. The suspension, handling, ride quality are much nicer than my 03JW. A diesel version would be sweet.

Kiwi_ME

Veteran Member
TDI
The comments from Mazda in the CNN article were not directed specifically at supplying a NA market, even though a mention was made by the writer regarding hybrid technology as being the "the wave of the future" for many other brands in NA.

No doubt if Mazda identified a viable diesel market in NA for themselves than you would think Honda and Toyota at minimum would re-evaluate their hybrid vs diesel offerings.

raybo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold
BRUSSELS BELGIAN said:
I have never made any secret of the fact that I bought my TDI's because they were diesels; NOT because they were VW's. You heard it here: if Mazda gets serious about this diesel technology, they will administer the biggest a$$ kicking to VW that they have ever experienced.:eek:
BB -

With all due respect, check out the latest SUV rollover ratings - Tiguan is 5-Star. We buy these VWs because they are the safest small cars. Mazda = tin can. Ford forced Volvo to stop advertising their strong roofs because folks were/are getting crushed in Explorer rollovers.

We need the German engineered safety VWs provide. Do a search for the wrecked Golfs on this forum where the driver walked away.

Ray

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
On the interview show called "your show" from channel 9 Denver today the head of Toyota NA stated with no ambiguity ;

"It all depends on how far & how quick we are willing to go with CAFE increases as to whether Toyota will bring diesel models to the US anytime soon ." From what was said it sounded like Toyota has a diesel ready to sell here now if CAFE forces it .

From what I read this weekend a requirement of 24 mpg for light trucks & 30 mpg for cars highways CAFE starting in 2011 is being announced this week . Depending on how much CAFE increases & how little time the automakers are given to reach proposed increasing CAFE rules will dictate what diesel models we get here in coming years . Currently diesel tech is the only real way to meet meaningful CAFE increase today and for the foreseeable future .

The 2011 target for a north American spec Mazda diesel is likely tied to that administrations pronouncement this coming week of the coming increasing CAFE requirements starting in 2011 .