Transmission compatibility: EGR and EBJ

tjhellmuth

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Can I put an EBJ coded transmission into my 1.9 Jetta MKIV that initially had an EGR? I'm asking this after a botched transmission job where the shop put in an EGT, from a gas engine, with the wrong ratios in 4th and 5th gears. I realized this much too late because i rarely drove the car and never at high speeds. So the shop can only cover the labor to fix the problem, but I'm sourcing the part now because they are having trouble finding an EGR.

The EBJ I have found is considerably cheaper, and local with included shipping. Supposedly the ratios are identital. I've read in this forum that the cable ends are slightly different and that the EBJ can accommodate two sizes of clutches, while the EGR can only accommodate 225mm, but basically these are the same transmission otherwise.

I don't know what clutch was installed when the EGT transmission and a new clutch were put in a year ago. So that may be a consideration as well.

If anybody can give me some assurance that the EBJ will or won't work in the car, I'd greatly appreciate it. VW can't comment on compatibility with other parts. They can only speak for EGR which is what comes up under my vin number in their system.

Thanks!

TJ

EDIT: I do have a short shifter kit, so the cable ends may not even matter presumably.

Last edited:

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
The cable attachments or ends differ between EGR and EBJ. As far as I know, that is the only real difference.