leaking final drive oil

hgsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
I have a 2003 auto with 285000 miles. I have noticed a light oil on the dogbone when I change the oil. I assume this is coming from the final drive. Not a lot but just wondering why it would be leaking. The Bentley says to check level with the drive gear after removing the speedometer. I am not sure where all of this is located. Does any one have pictures. I searched and found someone with the same problem but no final solution. Please inform me if you know of this problem. Thanks

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
the speedo drive gear is the "dipstick" on the 01M final drive ....it's located above the drive flanges on top of the differential area passenger side....it has a 3 wire harness connector.... pull the connector, unscrew the speed sensor, unscrew the drive gear from the trans ....wipe it off reinstall (screw it in) remove....oil level should be to the bottom of the drive gear....it takes synthetic gear oil

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
Thanks jimbote, will check it out. Why would it leak out ?

There is a paper type seal there that over time tends to seep. Mine did that too. I tried to tighten the bolts a bit and it didn't help. I ended up draining the oil, removing the cover, and making my own seal from some Buna N tubber I had around. Permatex UltraGrey would probably be suitable also as long as the old gasket is thouroughly scraped off, and everything is pristinely clean at the sealing surfaces.

rensho

You ever figure out what caused the leak?

I'm on a 01P eurovan tranny, and the yellow fluid is leaking out the breather. 190kmi, tranny rebuilt 3yrs ago, ~15kmi.