2013 HPFP Failure - original tank of fuel

Sohappy

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI
Hi all,
Bought the 2013 Passat TDI SE - original tank from the dealer and on day 8, with 440 miles and a 3/8 tank of fuel - engine problems. Towed to the dealer service by VW Assist. They confirm that it is a HPFP issue. Waiting on parts - and have been without the car since Sept 8.....
VW Customer Care told me that there was fuel contamination -- and I reminded them that it was still on the original tank of fuel supplied by VW. They are apologetic and will take care of the problem. I asked how do I make sure that the diesel if right -- they said they recommend buying only from high volume stations...
Looked around and only BP seems to warrant their fuel - with a commitment to take care of any problems caused by fuel. Will start a log book with fueling date/amount/station/mileage and also receipts....
Please provide any insight/input -- 2010 MY had a .1% HPFP failure rate... that is not bad... seems even the GM/FORD Diesels are having similar issues.
Sohappy

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
I am not saying this failure isn't legit, but sometimes you question if competing brand sales guys don't troll the forums to poison the competitions well.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Some documentation of this would be awesome!

By the way, I pulled your post out of the "Made in Germany?" thread.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
PS: constructive contributions to the thread ONLY. Doom/gloom and rants go bye bye.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
After reading some of the misfuel by dealer posts, I had my dealer go to the local Shell station and swipe their card so I could fuel myself on initial delivery of my TDI(s).

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Personally if I were you I would check the applicability and possible invoke your State's lemon law, at the very least read the law to be cognizent of its requirements. Because not withstanding any other vehicles similar issues a company only really learns from its errors when they cost them as much money as possible.

And that would only be after I had a nice polite conversation with the GM of the dealer that essentially be "Your error or VW's has caused my brand new car to have a major failure within 8 days of purchase, you are VW are replacing the car with a new one."

Regardless of if it could be repaired or not I simply refuse to drive any vehicle that has that kind of failure that early on for the next 6-10 years.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Lemon law only applies to repeat failures as far as I know.

You could suggest that they trade your car for another new one.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Lemon law only applies to repeat failures as far as I know.

You could suggest that they trade your car for another new one.

Quite possible for every state, I don't know but I stated it so that they would be familiar with the law because it can be important.

For instance the Texas one is 4 or more attempts within 12mo/12k miles OR 24mo/24k with 2 attempts within 12/12 and WITH 30 days out of service. However, if you take a free loaner car from the dealer the 30 day allowance is dismissed, meaning only the first requirement is valid.

Last edited:

AtlantaRene

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG w/Sunroof and Nav
I was surprised to read about your story. I too have had a HPFP failure. I just got my car back so I can tell you... it's a hard place to be. Hopefully, the dealer is working to accommodate you.

A few things to expect:

* I was told that the HPFP was in short supply and they mine was shipped directly from Germany. The part could take up to 5 days to arrive.

* If it's a manufacturer's defect, your dealer may be frustrated for you. Try to work with them. I used the phrase "Imagine how you would feel if this happened to you?" That comment can go a way with the right manager.

* You may not get a clear story on what was found in your tank. You will get some observations from the mechanic but that's about it.

* There is a general assumption that any HPFP is caused by a misfueling. I use the same pump at the same fueling station every time to avoid the possibility of making a fueling mistake. I drive from full to reserve in every tank. I am keeping my fueling receipts for at least 90 days.

I wish the best of luck for you in your new car...

-- AtlantaRene

Last edited:

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
You should not go below a 1/4 tank as recommended in the owners manual .

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Hi all,
Bought the 2013 Passat TDI SE - original tank from the dealer and on day 8, with 440 miles and a 3/8 tank of fuel - engine problems. Towed to the dealer service by VW Assist. They confirm that it is a HPFP issue. Waiting on parts - and have been without the car since Sept 8.....
VW Customer Care told me that there was fuel contamination -- and I reminded them that it was still on the original tank of fuel supplied by VW. They are apologetic and will take care of the problem. I asked how do I make sure that the diesel if right -- they said they recommend buying only from high volume stations...
Looked around and only BP seems to warrant their fuel - with a commitment to take care of any problems caused by fuel. Will start a log book with fueling date/amount/station/mileage and also receipts....
Please provide any insight/input -- 2010 MY had a .1% HPFP failure rate... that is not bad... seems even the GM/FORD Diesels are having similar issues.
Sohappy
Customer Care concluded this, or the servicing dealer?

Use the same high-volume, name brand station whenever possible. Keep copies fuel receipts (copy them because the thermal printer ink fades quickly).

good luck getting it back on the road

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Hi sorry to hear the bad news in regards to the HPFP failure. I am looking to purchase a 2013 Passat TDI and am concerned that they appear to be having the same problems with the HPFP as the 2009-2012 Jetta TDI are having is this true?

Currently own a 2005.5 Jetta TDI and I am very happy with it

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
No, not true. The Passats seem to be good to go as long as there isn't a misfuel.
Is that accurate? I hope so. This is the first thread that I've come across with Passat HPFP failures. I was hoping that VW had finally figured out a reliable pump to handle US grade fuel.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
Is that accurate? I hope so. This is the first thread that I've come across with Passat HPFP failures. I was hoping that VW had finally figured out a reliable pump to handle US grade fuel.
So far the Passat HPFP has been able to handle US grade DIESEL, but there aren't any really high mileage ones to know for sure. So far, the issues come when somebody puts GAS in their TDI. Which in this case, apparently the dealer did!!

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
It appears that there have been at least 2 HPFP failures. These may or may not been caused by gas or other contamination in the tank; hard to tell from what was written. If either of these individuals could write some more about what happen I for one would like to hear about it. Clearly this is much less than what happen to the Jetta when it came out so at the very least things have improved.

Again thinking of buying one of these in the near future but not sure if I want the risk of a failure and a fight with the dealer or insurance to cover the 5,000? price.

Thanks in advance

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
I hope a little humor might at least give you a slight grin ..... due to your current ituatiuon would you like to change your screen name to so un happy ...

In all seriousness stick with the car you will be rewarded is VW steps up to th eplate.. KEEP after them..

VeeDubTDI

TDI
2 out of how many? Tens of thousands? Drive more, worry less! :)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Hi all,
Sohappy
With 8 days and 440 miles on the tank, I don't see how this is due to contaminated fuel. Based on other reports on failures with the jetta/golf platform, it seems that misfueling will get you very few miles before shredding the hpfp.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
If you examine the NHTSA data by miles driven, there were over 30 failures reported by vehicles accumulating less than 10,000 miles in the designs prior to the B7.

Less than half of those were misfuels.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
With 8 days and 440 miles on the tank, I don't see how this is due to contaminated fuel. Based on other reports on failures with the jetta/golf platform, it seems that misfueling will get you very few miles before shredding the hpfp.
Depends upon the robustness of the Passat HPFP and how much contaminated fuel was present.

I picture the guy they have filling your tank starting with gas, realizing the mistake after maybe a gallon and continuing the fill with D2.

What would really help the rest of us Passat owners is finding what contaminates if any were present in the tank and at what concetration. Engineering minds would like the know.

Last edited:

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
He joined on 9/18, posted in 3 threads on 9/19, then disappeared. Seems fishy to me.
ya has not stuck around to answer any questions....hmmmm....let it troll , let it troll.....big fish in the tank.....c'mon OP why dont you chime in with an update?

mnelsonx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG
Question to VW - why not upgrade the HPFP?

In my days in the Army, military vehicles were primarily diesel-fueled, but all the heavy trucks were rated to burn "anything you can find", more or less. Diesel, gasoline, kerosene, etc. was OK in a pinch (useful in a military vehicle, as you might suspect).

So my rhetorical question to VW is this - would it be possible to upgrade the HPFP so that "misfueling" wouldn't wreck it? Maybe a misfuel could be caught in software and shut the engine down. I'm sure it's not an apples-to-apples comparison, but it tells me there may be tech that could handle this problem better.