Real World MPG with DSG

aliasbane

TDI
Passat 2013
Hey All,

I am barely hitting 500 to 550 miles per tank of fuel on my Passat, which i think is really low at about 32MPG, its kinda getting aggravating... I only drive at 60-65MPH, and drive 16 miles to work one way everyday with 13 being highway and 3 being normal roads, I dont sit in traffic 80% of the time.

So i am worried cause its not performing any where near what it should i think...

EDIT: I should have stated yeah I have a TDI Sel Premium model 2013...
I have about 13000 miles on the car at 1 year old and I fill up about 2x a month so I have had about 26 fill ups

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Hey All,

I am barely hitting 500 to 550 miles per tank of gas on my Passat, which i think is really low at about 32MPG, its kinda getting aggravating... I only drive at 60-65MPH, and drive 16 miles to work one way everyday with 13 being highway and 3 being normal roads, I dont sit in traffic 80% of the time.

So i am worried cause its not performing any where near what it should i think...

I would think 32 MPG is pretty good for a tank of *gas* especially since the only gas DSG is the VR6 engine. ;)

Now if you're talking about diesel, then that does seem low and would indicate a problem with either the vehicle or your driving style, most likely overuse of the brake pedal.

aliasbane

TDI
Passat 2013
I would think 32 MPG is pretty good for a tank of *gas* especially since the only gas DSG is the VR6 engine. ;)

Now if you're talking about diesel, then that does seem low and would indicate a problem with either the vehicle or your driving style, most likely overuse of the brake pedal.

I should have stated yeah I have a TDI Sel Premium model 2013...
I have about 13000 miles on the car at 1 year old and I fill up about 2x a month so I have had about 26 fill ups

Well i typically try to accelerate slow and coast...

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Hey All,

I am barely hitting 500 to 550 miles per tank of fuel on my Passat, which i think is really low at about 32MPG, its kinda getting aggravating... I only drive at 60-65MPH, and drive 16 miles to work one way everyday with 13 being highway and 3 being normal roads, I dont sit in traffic 80% of the time.

At 13k miles, you still have a long ways to go until fully broken in. Look at your average speed per trip and I think you'll be surprised at how slow you're really going. My guess is that you're sitting more than you think you are and are probably doing short trips on the weekends that hurts the overall miles per tank. Plan a nice long vacation where you can just cruise in the passat and see what full highways miles get you.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
That does seem pretty low, given the type of driving that you do. My last 4 tanks have gone 702 miles, 727 miles, 682 miles and 719 miles. And I usually fill up before the fuel light comes on...so I never run it down to the end. Most of my driving is city/urban where my 13 mile commutes to work average about 28mph with major intersections every 1 mile and 40mph speedlimits. I've been tracking mine for 14,900 miles on fuelly. My overall milsage on last 5 tanks has been 41.73, 41.29, 41.88, 41.52 and 42.54.

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
Hey All,

Check out my Fuelly and I was with you until I was edumacated by this forum on my last tank. I really had to rethink the way I drove. Coast a lot, consistent speeds, anticipate the red lights, and brake as little as possible.
I really did do a lot of coasting and really put an egg under the pedal. I pretty much drove 70 mph or less. The hardest part was taking off so slow.

574 miles (filled up with 1/4 tank left)
Average speed 28 mph
Travel time 20 h 18 m
average consumption 42.3 (manual fuelly stats show 41.4)

I will probably start taking off a little quicker and go a little faster on interstates. I should be able to get high 30's anyways which is what I expected when I bought the car.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Taking off slowly can actually reduce your average fuel economy because the engine is not in the most efficient spot of the BSFC (brake specific fuel consumption) map.

If you accelerate moderately, you can improve your fuel economy (as long as you don't overaccelerate and then slam on the brakes).

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
Taking off slowly can actually reduce your average fuel economy because the engine is not in the most efficient spot of the BSFC (brake specific fuel consumption) map.

If you accelerate moderately, you can improve your fuel economy (as long as you don't overaccelerate and then slam on the brakes).
Is there an RPM number that you would say stay below for moderate acceleration? Maybe 3?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I would recommend accelerating at 30%-70% throttle in most cases, obviously while remaining cognizant of traffic conditions and allowing for a nice margin of safety. You can accelerate as quickly or as slowly as you want, I just want people to know that painfully slow acceleration is actually detrimental to fuel economy, despite popular belief.

Last edited:

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I've tried taking off more swiftly as I've read it's more fuel efficient, but that doesn't seem to be panning out in my MFD numbers.

I'd guess that I accelerate at 20-30% of throttle. I don't crawl up to speed, but I'm certainly nowhere near laying down rubber. I'll do some time tests today to see what my average acceleration actually is.

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
I would recommend accelerating at 30%-70% throttle in most cases, obviously while remaining cognizant of traffic conditions and allowing for a nice margin of safety. You can accelerate as quickly or as slowly as you want, I just want people to know that painfully slow acceleration is actually detrimental to fuel economy, despite popular belief.
I've tried taking off more swiftly as I've read it's more fuel efficient, but that doesn't seem to be panning out in my MFD numbers.

I'd guess that I accelerate at 20-30% of throttle. I don't crawl up to speed, but I'm certainly nowhere near laying down rubber. I'll do some time tests today to see what my average acceleration actually is.
I am going to give it a try on the way home today as well. The consumption MFD on my car drops a lot when I accelerate quickly as well. Maybe it is because you get up to a cruising speed sooner to make up for the hit at acceleration?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
It will drop when you accelerate, but it should go back up when you reach your cruising speed. It's a balancing act, so try a few things and see what works best for you.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
The MFI indicated about 47.7 mpg on our 540 mile trip today. Almost the whole trip was spent with the cruise on 75 mph, and the A/C was on auto at 72F all the way. I'm impressed. Now we'll see what happens when I fill up and to a real mileage calculation.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The MFI indicated about 47.7 mpg on our 540 mile trip today. Almost the whole trip was spent with the cruise on 75 mph, and the A/C was on auto at 72F all the way. I'm impressed. Now we'll see what happens when I fill up and to a real mileage calculation.
Fill it up before you dilute it with city driving. :)

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
My average 0-40 is 12-14 seconds under my typical acceleration. 20-40 is about 9-10 seconds.

I tried about 50% throttle and my 0-40 was around 6 seconds.

scottysize

TDI
Passat SE/Sunroof
Depends on who's driving. Me, over 42-44. Wifey 34-36. She's killing our Fuelly in my siggy. I can't get it to go above 40 because she keeps knocking it back down. :D

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Depends on who's driving. Me, over 42-44. Wifey 34-36. She's killing our Fuelly in my siggy. I can't get it to go above 40 because she keeps knocking it back down. :D
Time to get her a bicycle or a bus pass! ;)

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Same happens to me. But my wife only drives my Passat a couple times a month. But those times are easily discernible from mine. I usually get high 40's low 50's. When she has driven it it gets mid 40's for that specific tank.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My wife used to do that with the beetle. Always shifting it like a gasser and keeping me from passing 600 miles on any tank that she had more than 50 miles on. Her golf is starting to get broken in and reaching the mpg average of my JSW.

Good4U2SS

TDI
2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDi
It's the opposite for us. My wife consistently gets an average of 40 mpg on the drive to and from our daughters school; about 16 miles. I get around 38 for the same trip. However, I like to put it in manual mode and punch it for the 1 mile twisty bit near the house. I also accelerate a lot harder up to cruising speed. Hey, it's got a fun torquey engine, might as well enjoy it. Not too happy with the slight lag in take up even in Sport mode.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
The major highway to take me to and from home is closed and has been for awhile and will be until winter. Because of that, I have to take city and back roads.

Tonight I took the scenic parkway drive home. It's about 13 miles with a 40mph speed limit on that road. I got stopped 6 complete times on my way home, but managed to cruise at 42mph down the road and my MFI read 61.6MPG when I got home. First time ever I was over 60 on a work commute.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
The main reason the DSG gets less MPG than the 6M in highway driving is the different final drive ratio. If they had the same final drive ratio, the highway MPG would be nearly identical, as the only difference would then be the DSG transmission is somewhat heavier, which really doesn't factor into steady-state highway driving. The only reason I can surmise they did that is to take some of the load off of the twin clutches in the DSG that the higher ratio would cause. Actually, I put taller wheels/tires on my DSG JSW and got back about 50% of the final drive ratio, and I have seen as high as 59mpg on a 70 mile commute.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The DSG has a few more parasitic losses like the hydraulic pump, but it would be pretty close if the ratio was the same.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
On my last tank, I reset the MFI #2 to track what the MFI said versus what Fuelly said on my fillup. It was a lot closer than i would have suspected.

Over the course of 717 miles,
--MFI said 43.3MPG
--Fuelly says 43.1MPG.

I also had a great drive home the other day. The highway is closed by my house for nearly the rest of the year, so I have to take backroads. The other day, I decided to take the 40mph scenic parkway home, which is about 9 of my 13 mile commute. The weather must have been perfect, my windows were down, the AC was off and this is what I netted between work and my driveway. First time I've gotten over 60 on a real drive of a reasonable length.

Last edited:

buffa98

TDI
2013 SE DSG White/Cornsilk
49.5 mpg on my last tank. I ran the AC a bit too much to get 50 mpg this time around.
I just did a trip from Tx to Pa. I had the cruise set at 78 with the AC on. MFI said 48.7 pen and paper was 46.6. I'll take it for that speed!! I'm going to try to set the cruise at 72 on the way back and see if I can break 50 pen and paper.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
I just did a trip from Tx to Pa. I had the cruise set at 78 with the AC on. MFI said 48.7 pen and paper was 46.6. I'll take it for that speed!! I'm going to try to set the cruise at 72 on the way back and see if I can break 50 pen and paper.
You will probably hit it, but to be safe I'd try cruising at 70.

I don't know how my wife does it. I filled my car up Saturday after work, she takes it to do a little shopping. Returns it to me after putting 62.4 miles on the tank and its already down an eighth. I always, except in the winter months, get right at 100 miles per eighth of a tank. Shes already screwed up this tank for me :(.