Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
I should not read some of these post - a few weeks ago I had a nightmare about filling up with gas. The pump was a old Sohio pump I remember from high school. I felt so stupid, I did not start the car, but I was so embarrassed I walked inside and said. " I need flatbed to haul my car home, the attendent ask why and I said, I am to drunk to drive could you please call for a truck. :). I was so glad to wake up. :)

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Remember with Sohio Gasoline, no fuel line freeze up, Or Sohio pays your tow.

Sam who misses those Sohio stations that are now BP's.

VictrolaJazz

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle GL 5-Spd Sunset Orange
wjdell said:
I had a nightmare about filling up with gas.:)
See Post #1498, pp 100--I've put diesel THREE TIMES by accident in my gasoline powered Cadillacs--didn't hurt a thing!

Last edited:

jimnms

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon 5-speed Tiptronic
scooperhsd said:
You want to give the tanks time to let the "crap" in the tank settle out so it doesn't end up in your fuel tank. This applies to gasoline as well as diesel.
I heard that the fuel pumps now have this new invention called a filter, which prevents that crap from being pumped into your tank.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Who said anything about your own filter?

jimnms said that the fuel PUMPS have a filter.

That said, if that filter were to fail (and that has happened to people on here before), it would be VERY bad.

scythefwd

Veteran Member
TDI
99 beetle GLS TDI
darkscout said:
Um... then what does?

-

On topic. Dec 1 we had a MASSIVE snow storm in Central, IL. Everything was shut down for the day. I finally decided I wanted to go out and play so I spent a good hour or so digging out my drive way then I idled it around town. (Passing SUVs and RWD vehicles who think that spinning tires is better.[0]). Finally got to a gas station with all the gas pumps shut off. Pulled right up to the Diesel and filled up. The attendant comes out "Those things take Diesel. I never saw a car that's taken diesel." Mind you I think Peoria has one of the highest per/capita TDIs I've ever seen[1].

[0]. When trying to explain this one to people I use this analogy: When you're walking on slippery ice do you A) Walk slowly. Make sure each foot is planted then pull your self along or B) Run as fast as you can and slip in 1 spot. Usually that makes the light bulb go off.
[1]. Working for a company that makes diesel engines must help
Really, I dont see many when driving round town when Im back home. You work in the Metamora plant? or the East Peoria plant, or the proving grounds?

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
scythefwd said:
Really, I dont see many when driving round town when Im back home. You work in the Metamora plant? or the East Peoria plant, or the proving grounds?
I'm in the engineering rotational program. I started in TC-L In Mossville, Then to AC then to East Peoria.

I think leaving the plant I pass at least one.

scythefwd

Veteran Member
TDI
99 beetle GLS TDI
my old man works in mossville (well, i think he still does)
I didn't mean metamora, mossville... been about 8.5 years since I left (graduated woodruff and enlisted)

Last edited:

vwestlife

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat TDI sedan (sold)
Here's my story of the day... I pulled in to my favorite Gulf station, and right away I knew there was trouble. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, one of their two diesel pumps was crashed-into and removed about two months ago, and they still haven't replaced it yet. So today I saw an 18-wheeler filling up on the small-nozzle side :eek: of the one remaining diesel pump, and on the other side was a diesel pickup. Parked behind the pickup was another commercial truck, but at a glance I didn't know if it was diesel or gas.

So I asked the attendant "Do you have a lot of people waiting for diesel?" He said yes, and just at that moment another diesel truck pulled in, and when the attendant saw it he said "Oh my God..." That was my clue to get out of there and find another source of diesel fuel. :mad:

Even though I had been driving for the past 15 miles or so with the fuel gauge pinned at empty, I knew from experience that meant I still had half a gallon left in the tank, so rather than join an angry mob of truck drivers waiting for diesel at the Gulf station, I backtracked through city streets to a Shell station I passed on the highway about 2 miles back. Both stations offer ULSD "Premium Diesel", but Gulf is usually 10 cents/gallon lower than Shell, but in this case Shell won out due to their no-wait diesel pumps.

Total cost to me was $45.00, for 18.008 gallons of fuel in an 18.5-gallon tank. :cool: I often wish I had the same setup as the "Black Gold" Datsun 240Z, which had two fuel gauges -- the second one showed only the lowest 1/4th of the tank, in 1/10th of a gallon increments. :eek:

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
vwestlife said:
I often wish I had the same setup as the "Black Gold" Datsun 240Z, which had two fuel gauges -- the second one showed only the lowest 1/4th of the tank, in 1/10th of a gallon increments. :eek:
Sounds really cool. Got any pics?

I suspect that this would be a highly sought-after mod 'round these parts, if you could figure out how to add it to a TDI...

MantyTDI

TDI
1999.5 Jetta GLS TDI
Rob Mayercik said:
Sounds really cool. Got any pics?

I suspect that this would be a highly sought-after mod 'round these parts, if you could figure out how to add it to a TDI...
Check out some Z cars on ebay, look at a dash pic. The Z I had back in highschool had that too, it was an early 300zx.

Brock_from_WI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon
scooperhsd said:
Doesn't that ScanGuage give you a reading of how much fuel has passed through ?
Yes but unless it is adjusted just right it is guessing from the last tank setting. I have noticed if I adjusted mine on each tank I go from a correction factor in the mid 20's in summer to about 0 in winter. I leave it set at 15 all the time so I can compare mpg across the board.

kengruven

TDI
2003 Golf -- white
Tom Servo said:
Call me stupid (everyone else does) but even I knew as a kid that the lonely, neglected, uncovered and messy pumps weren't for "normal" cars.
Reminds me of the movie "The Money Pit", when Tom Hanks is trying to convince his wife to buy a too-good-to-be-true house:
him: You know what this is? This is the short line in Motor Vehicles.
her: What?
him: Yeah! You go to Motor Vehicles to get your license renewed, and you get on this line that reaches to Spain, and right next to it is this little short line with only two guys on it, but you don't get on that line, 'cause you think something must be wrong with it -- otherwise everyone else would be on it -- so you waste three hours!
her: I got on the short line once. It was for farm vehicles.
If only us "farm vehicles" got our own line at the DMV...

Sorry, no great fill-up stories here. Either nobody in my neighborhood knows, or nobody cares. I've never even had anybody notice my "powered by biodiesel" license plate frame.

Maybe next time there's a big storm, I should go driving and fuel up at some place that's out of gasoline, just to get a good laugh. But nah, I'm not that mean.

jkeller

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Tornado Red
I had someone notice my "Powered by Biodiesel" license plate frame recently!

I was sitting at a stoplight and a car with an older (late 60s?) couple pulled up behind me. I don't know why but I was checking them out in the rearview and I saw the guy nudge his wife and I could clearly see him say "Look, it is says biodiesel." I couldn't lip read any more of the conversation, but they talked about it for a while. :)

VWWV

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 96, candy white
jkeller said:
I had someone notice my "Powered by Biodiesel" license plate frame recently!

I was sitting at a stoplight and a car with an older (late 60s?) couple pulled up behind me. I don't know why but I was checking them out in the rearview and I saw the guy nudge his wife and I could clearly see him say "Look, it is says biodiesel." I couldn't lip read any more of the conversation, but they talked about it for a while. :)
"leseidoib syas si ti, kooL" Reading lips in a mirror is difficult for most people.

vwestlife

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat TDI sedan (sold)
VWWV said:
"leseidoib syas si ti, kooL" Reading lips in a mirror is difficult for most people.
Unless you talk out of both sides of your mouth, I don't see why it would make any difference.

Anyway, today I passed by a white B4 Passat TDI sedan that was pulled over, with another car behind it, and a police car behind both of them. The Passat didn't looked damaged from the sides I could see, but the other car might've bumped it on the passenger side at the merge that was a few hundred feet back from where they were stopped. I actually went around a second time to make sure the Passat was a TDI, because the first time I wasn't paying attention to its badges. The Passat driver was out standing on the curb, so hopefully he saw and heard my B4 TDI as I passed by twice. :D

Revelance to this thread: the Passat was stopped just before a Shell station where I filled up yesterday with ULSD Premium Diesel. :)

slotracer577

TDI
06 jetta
First time I filled up my Jetta a guys asks "You know thats diesel". I replied, I sure hope so.

I will probably put diesel in my wifes jetta some day by mistake since both vehicles I drive regularly are both diesel. I find that I wait for the glow plugs to warm up on her car now.:eek: Hers is a MKIV GLI, I must say her seats are better and it handles better.

John

06 Jetta
01 E350 PS

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
slotracer577 said:
I find that I wait for the glow plugs to warm up on her car now.:eek:
Yeah, I bet many, many TDI operators do that when getting in a gasser.

But have you ever gotten into a rig with no power windows and were rolling the window up with one hand on the key, waiting until the window reached the top before shutting off the key?

Dog has.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
It's a gas, baby

(touch wood) Luckily I haven't miss-filled a car yet. When I do have to fill up a car with actual gasoline, I am reminded of just how BAD that stuff stinks!

Give the sweet aroma of diesel anyday.

A friend once confessed he liked the smell of gas -- I countered that I'd prefer to stand behind a municipal bus. *cough* *cough*

jkeller

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Tornado Red
whitedog said:
Yeah, I bet many, many TDI operators do that when getting in a gasser.

But have you ever gotten into a rig with no power windows and were rolling the window up with one hand on the key, waiting until the window reached the top before shutting off the key?

Dog has.
Ha Ha. I do that at work all the time. I turn the key and sit there for a minute, passengers looking at me like "well what are you waiting for?" :D

Veruca Salt

TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI
Very Smug

I have a story about NOT filling up...:)

My fiance' recently traded in his gas hog GMC Yukon for a gas hog Nissan Titan. (Sad story about the Yukon: heavy boat to tow+no straight answer about tow capacity of Yukon+loud bang and grinding from rear differential=need for bigger truck...). He found his new Titan out near Hickory, approx 3.5 hr's drive from our house. We took my car on the way out, and I filled up at the station near our house. We drove out, picked up the truck, and headed home. He filled up his new truck just after leaving the dealership, but I didn't have to refill yet. Once we got near home, I turned off to take the shortcut to our house, but he kept going straight. The only reason to do this is that he was going to the BP station at the next corner to refill. I tried not to smirk when he finally arrived at home. I still didn't have to fill up for another 2 days! :D

He says I'm emitting a lot of smug (anyone see that South Park episode?) I told him that once the biodiesel station opens closer to our house so I can finally start using biodiesel, then I'll really be emitting smug!

rickdick80

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 5spd, 2004, Reflex Silver
Veruca Salt said:
He says I'm emitting a lot of smug (anyone see that South Park episode?) I told him that once the biodiesel station opens closer to our house so I can finally start using biodiesel, then I'll really be emitting smug!
OH! OH! OH! Of all the places and times for that episode to air, it was when I went out to visit some family members in the bay area! Die-hard Democrats! Grateful Dead self-proclaimed hippies! A Stanford professor! Really, I couldn't have picked a better setting to watch that episode.

To get things back on-topic:
The last time I filled up was last Sunday in the Chicago area during the Superbowl. Surprise, surprise, no gas stations were open...I finally found one with ULSD for $2.79/gal :)eek:); the attendant asked me twice if I was sure I wanted diesel. He and I ended up talking TDI's for a bit. He was impressed with the mileage, and that was with a PD!

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Not really a "WAIT, that diesel!" story. I found a BP station selling D2 2.419/gal off to itself with local average around 2.60/gal. So I pull in on the other side of the only D2 island next to a GAS F350 pulling a rather large boat (diesel, maybe:confused:). A couple of them glance over as I pull up and smirk a little, going back to their conversation. I go through my normal fill up fun then go in to get some snacks. (I pulled off the island to get my snacks)

As I pull off a couple of diesel p/u's pull on to the island. I didn't even notice them pull up. The GAS truck is still sitting on the other diesel island bs'ing with their buddies. I bet that Duramax behind me was thinking some dirty thoughts until I pulled off. I wonder if he noticed the gas hog blocking the other pumps?

Around here most people already know about TDI's or don't care.

VWWV

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 96, candy white
rickdick80 said:
To get things back on-topic:
The last time I filled up was last Sunday in the Chicago area during the
Superbowl. Surprise, surprise, no gas stations were open...

RickDick80 -

Down here in Fl. the only time the fuel stations are closed is during the World Cup. LOL