purchasing passat TDI 2005

pbraunton

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
Hello:

Been a long time since i have posted on here, but I have found a 2005 Passat Tdi to replace the gas guzzler passat that we currently have

the Tdi passat has 198, XXX km's, the owner says the timing belt was done around 150,000 (have not seen the receipt but he has it), .....

what other things shoudl i bee looking at

here is what concerns me, ......

BSM

What does it sound like?, is it obvious when it is on it's way out? or starting to make noise, i know it cost $$ to fix this but if it is ok now, then i can get it done with the next TB job...., but I have no idea what it would sound slike if it were going bad??.......

Oil used

Does the cam wearing issues apply to this engine, (I forgot to look at what engine code it is) is there only one for the 04/05 passats??? and what is the engine/ oil i should be watching out for?? (don't want this to turn into a debate though LOL)

glow plugs - i thought i saw something about a glow plug recall, and reflash?.......is it important to have this done, and if it is not done how much, "RISK" is there for me to take it into the dealer to get it done???

as far as the car, it is in really good shape, few small stone chips in the hood, ...........and i am going to take it to a "guru" this afternoon, to have them take a look.....

anything else besides the normal car stuff (rust, brakes, A/C, heater, tires normal wear and tear) that i should be looking out for????

thay are asking $9,500.......cert and E-tested, he is the second owner, ......

thanks ALL!!!

Last edited:

dhuddleson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Highline TDI sedan
Welcome back to the forum. Please do browse our "sticky" posts at the top of this B5 Passat TDI section. There are a couple that are very useful. You know that buzzword BSM already, and another topic that may be worth investigating when you do that job, is the transmission fluid. You know, that "lifetime" fluid... not!

There are a couple of decent VW repair shops south of you in Toronto that have done many BSM jobs. The one most well-discussed here is DCB Automotive, with VW-trained Brandon as the owner. He replaced by BSM in 2009.

The glowplug recall can be verified by any VW dealer (hopefully...), and experience of most here say the second recall (going back to another ceramic glowplug) seems to work well in cold environments. It works well for me in the dead-cold of January/February in Ottawa.

Finally, yes the Passat can be affected by poor quality oil and camshaft wear. This engine does not seem quite as affected as the BRM, but yes at higher mileages it can start to have same wear problems.

Take the cost of BSM along with Timing Belt "kit" (could be around $3500 CDN) into account in your negotiations.

pbraunton

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
thanks

so what does the BSM sound like when it is starting to go?,

and how would i tell if the cam shaft has improper wear?? other than tkaing things apart....which i am not sure thos guy will allow me to do, ....

and the oil it should be using is 505.01 right, 5W 40?????

cconrad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Passat

The BSM noise is no indicator of its condition, Oilhammer has heard noisy and not noisy ones ( that had broken tensioner parts ) So it needs to be addressed period.

The correct oil is 5W40 505.01, and it is important to know it has been used each time.

Although not hard to get at the cams, a guru would be your best bet to check their condition, and or just give it a look over prior to purchasing.....

dhuddleson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Highline TDI sedan
Yes, as stated, there really is no absolute for knowing the BSM is heading for failure. Those who see many of these motors can hear the difference and comment, but I could only notice the change after it was complete...

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
There are lots of threads with pictures on the BHW cam wear. Search threads by CharlieT for a good one.

I can have my valve cover off in ten minutes to check the cam.

pbraunton

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
ok, sounds good, I will ask Brandon to take the valve cover off, and check the cams for me, .......is there a gasket that needs replacing?? or a re-usable one?

he did show me the oil that he used, and it had a bunch of VW numbers on it, i'll just have to confirm that it is 505.01......which i am 95% sure it was, ......

BSM I am ok with so long as it lasts until the next TB change, ...

anyone want to buy an 2001.5 passat wagon 4motion, .....124 XXX km's......runs great, (will be replacing the upper control arm bushings, and the valve cover gaskets on both sides) timing belt was done by brandon at 100,000.......no receipt but he can confirm everything was replaced, ....

Last edited:

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
The valve cover gasket is reusable, you may want to put some gasket sealer in the couple of sharp corners just to make sure it seals.

pbraunton

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
So i took the car to Brandon, and ended up passing on it, .........

on the drive to brandon's he was talking a lot about how he runs his MB off veggy oil, just put into the tank, and no filtering or water separation or anything, as we pulled into brandon's I asked if this car (pointing to the passat) has been run on veggy oil, ......he paused for an uncomfortable amount of time and then said no, only my previous jetta, ..........

so at that moment i knew i was kinda wasting my time.......

Brandon looked the car over and it was in good shape needed brakes all around (which wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me), .....but then we got talking about the BSM and how much he was asking ($9500).........

also it almost didn't start when he started it to back it out of the garage, .....Brandon looked at me laughed and said I would pass on this on that point alone!!!

on the way home i jokingly offered him $6000, explaining about the BSM replacement, brakes etc, and he said no I will just sell it to someone who doesn't know about all that stuff.

if anyone want to know who or where this passat is located i can post it, but will only post if people ask, .........I will say it is located in Richmond Hill, and has 198 XXX km's on it,.... silver in colour.......

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Not sure where you are located, but I have a 2005 for sale with all upgrades (BSM, new cam, TB, motor mounts etc.) for sale for $9500.

Will have a second one ready in about 1-2 weeks.

PM me if interested.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
a Southern car might not be a bad thought for someone in in a cold climate. less or no salt exposure and more temperate climate is usually easier on mechanical s.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Yep, one is from SC and the other is from NC. No rust or frozen parts. In fact one of them is as clean underneath as I have seen on any used Passat.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
05 TDI sedan

Getting ready to sell an 05 sedan with 39,000,miles on it, 15,000 of which I put on, trouble free, Texas car,

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
that car doesn't sound like you'll have any problem at all finding a buyer. that ought to get 50 or so bids on ebay.