no fans and no ac need to test compressor

pigpenracing

TDI
golf jetta
I just bought a 2000 Golf. The cooling fans and ac compressor are both dead. I bought a new fan control module off ebay and had no luck. There are two wires on the AC compressor, which is hot and which is ground? I want to hook power to it for a second just to make sure the compressor does kick on. Anything else to look for? I pulled the fuses on top of the battery and sanded the contacts, still no luck.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
First, engine off, try to turn the inside part of the clutch by hand. If it doesn't turn the compressor is seized.

Attach gauges. Do you have at least 50-60 PSI on both the high and low side? If not add some refrigerant and see if it begins working.

Disconnect the connector and connect a DVOM. Have an assistant start the car and turn A/C to on. Do you have battery voltage? If so you have a clutch issue. If not it could be wiring or a bad switch/relay. If you have low voltage, it usually indicates corrosion at a connector. Time to hit the manual or bring to a professional.

Resistance checks are often inconclusive on A/C clutches.

gquenstedt

Veteran Member
TDI
'06, '03 x 2, '00
If the pressure switch is bad, neither the fans or the compressor will come on, when you turn on the AC. There is a test for the pressure switch that DanG144 explains in his A/c troubleshooting guide. Whatever you do, do not try shorting it with a jumper wire, that will fry your computer.

I highly recommend not buying fan control modules or pressure sensors from ebay. I have seen them cause major headaches.