2005 VW Passat TDI Wagon with WVO conversion

kirs0037

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon-Greasecar, 2005 Passat Wagon-Greasecar
We have a beautiful, very rare 2005 Passat wagon in excellent condition for sale. It has 82,500 miles and has many desirable features including:

6 cd-changer with Monsoon stereo,
GLS model with sunroof,
power windows,
leather, heated seats.
ABS brakes
Air conditioning
Keyless entry
Power heated mirrors
Power steering
Power windows with one-touch up and down
Tinted windows
Folding rear bench seats
Rear defogger,
and many more features.

It has a waste vegetable oil conversion in place, made by Greasecar (www.greasecar.com). We get up to 45 mpg, whether on grease, biodiesel or regular diesel.

The car runs beautifully, has no rust, only very minor scratches that come with wear, has had regular maintenance and is fun to drive.

If you are interested in an alternative fuel car (we go for months at a time without using any petroleum!), and are willing to put in some extra time filtering waste vegetable oil, this is an excellent car to own. Waste vegetable oil is usually free and the setup is minimal. We've taken long distance trips when diesel cost $5 and we drove 400+ miles without spending a dime on fuel!

We are a family, have another similar Greasecar wagon and are only parting with this vehicle because we carpool with our kids and no longer fit in this vehicle.

Lastly, I can deliver this vehicle to you, assuming it is a reasonable distance and give a tutorial on grease filtration to get you set up your system.

Basically, it is rust free, excellent condition, the Greasecar kit works beautifully now, thanks to you and getting the new greasepump, 6 cd-changer with Monsoon stereo, GLS model with sunroof, power everything, leather, heated seats. 82K miles.

We are asking $17,900, which is below Blue Book value.

I'm happy to talk about the car, if you have serious interest in purchasing it. :p

Last edited:

kirs0037

TDI
Timing belt has been changed. I'm not sure about the balance shaft chain and sprocket. I can look into it if you are interested in purchasing it. I would be happy to send you as many pictures as you like, but couldn't figure out how to post them on the site.

As far as price, we are asking $17,900.

As for being very rare, it is because it is very rare. I see you have one as well, but if you search around on line, they are very difficult to find. Maybe I should just say 'rare'.

Take care and let me know if you are interested.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Hi Kris: I am just trying to help you get started with a proper ad here. You can post pictures on Photobucket and easily link them to your post. This is a forum filled with knowledgeable folks who are very critical of cars for sale and need a lot of info.

BTW, 20,000 of the 2004 -2005 Passat TDI's were produced and sold in North America. The wagons are harder to find in those years.

Also, you have posted this in the wrong foum, use this one:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51
Tony

Last edited:

kirs0037

TDI
Thanks for the help, but I'm confused. This forum is called "Private TDI Items for Sale/Wanted". Seems like that would be the right place to post, but I'm happy to post it elsewhere.

Also, my car for sale is a wagon. I'm not sure how many 2005 wagons were sold in the U.S., but they are certainly rare.

Thanks for the help.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Post the new ad here: "TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted"

That sub-Forum is the correct one. You posted this in the "Private TDI Items For Sale/Wanted" sub-Forum which is for everythig BUT cars for sale.

If you want to leave your ad like it is, just cut and paste in a new thread in the correct sub-Forum.

Oh, one "rare" thing about ONLY these TDI Passats (2004-2005) is that the engine comes with the dreaded balance shaft chain drive which when it fails can cost the owner an $8000.00 engine since it drives the oil pump. The cost to replace this chain drive is about $3000.00. Aske me (or most anyone here) how we know.

Hope this helps,

Tony

kirs0037

TDI
Aaaaaahhhhhh. Yes that is exactly what happened to me! I didn't realize that was a common problem. I drove a very loud car for a while wondering what was going on until my very astute mechanic figured it out. Luckily, it hadn't done any damage. That makes me feel so much better, knowing that I'm not alone in this. My mechanic was amazed that the actual oil pump never actually stopped pumping, but said that it could have happened any minute.

I still take issue with your refusal to acknowledge that these cars are rare, but what the hell, I'll drop it. :>

kirs0037

TDI
Yes, if this is chain that runs the oil pump, it has been replaced and was caught before any damage was done.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
kirs0037 said:
Yes, if this is chain that runs the oil pump, it has been replaced and was caught before any damage was done.
If they replaced it with new chain, then you still have the problem with the balance module shaft and the chain. To solve the problem permanently, you need to replace the BS module and chain with a geared assembly.

SnowCub

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
kirs0037 said:
I still take issue with your refusal to acknowledge that these cars are rare, but what the hell, I'll drop it. :>
The 1996-1997 Passat TDI Wagons are rare with only 1700 sold in the US. Compared to that, your 2005 Wagon is down right common. There are 4 '96-97 TDI wagons for sale right now in the entire US, comparatively autotrader has 31 of your wagons.

As a warning, prepare to get flamed to hell and back for putting a GreaseCar kit on that car. Folks around here hate them and most of the gurus refuse to work on cars with them installed.

Good luck, you're going to need it on this site.

SnowCub

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
What kind of oil was used in the car? How often was the oil changed?

Where did you get your grease from? How was it filtered? Did you do any de-watering? How often did you change your Grease Filter?

How many miles has the car been run on grease? Does it have a FPHE?

kirs0037

TDI
We are selling because we already have one greasecar, a 2003 Jetta and we have 2 kids and carpool with 2 other families, so can't fit into the Passat or the Jetta. We're keeping the Jetta because it is primarily a commuter car for my wife. I'll work on getting the pictures up later this afternoon. Thanks.

kirs0037

TDI
Synthetic oil since I purchased it at ~60,000. Grease was from falafel cooker and from Mexican restaurant. Filtered through 5 and 1 micron double filter. Used gravity to dewater, never had troubles with it. I also have a Jetta with 120K on it, have used grease for 40K miles with minimal trouble. Changed grease filters every 2000K or so, sometimes 3000K. I don't know what FPHE is. I've probably put about 15K of grease miles on the car, hard to say.

kirs0037

TDI
Hi, I just discussed this with my mechanic and the whole balance shaft chain and sprocket were replaced. The timing belt was replaced at that time. A new water pump was put on. Also, photos can be seen here:

Also, this is a wagon for sale. If anyone is interested in purchasing this car, please let me know. I'm not looking for a huge discussion about whether it is right or wrong to run on WVO. If that is your passion, there is a separate forum. If anyone is interested in owning this car, I'm more than happy to discuss anything you like.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
kirs0037 said:
Hi, I just discussed this with my mechanic and the whole balance shaft chain and sprocket were replaced. The timing belt was replaced at that time. A new water pump was put on. Also, photos can be seen here:

Also, this is a wagon for sale. If anyone is interested in purchasing this car, please let me know. I'm not looking for a huge discussion about whether it is right or wrong to run on WVO. If that is your passion, there is a separate forum. If anyone is interested in owning this car, I'm more than happy to discuss anything you like.
Lots of people are concerned (and should be) about the balance shaft upgrade, which has apparently already failed once on your car and has still not been upgraded. This is a ~$3000 upgrade that NEEDS to be done. The WVO mess is another thing altogether. I do not think you will find a buyer here for your car with these two very serious issues unless your price was signifigantly less to overcome these other costs.

kirs0037

TDI
Actually, the whole mechanism has been replaced, including balance shaft chain and sprocket with the whole balance shaft upgrade. It did cost $3000.

You are quite antagonistic about the WVO. Calling it a mess is downright antagonistic and misguided. If you want a discussion, please discuss. Mudslinging can be left for elsewhere. I'm trying to sell an outstanding car with the option of avoiding the use of petroleum, which I have successfully done for over 50K miles with my two cars combined. Go ahead and discuss this on the forum if you are interested.

kirs0037

TDI
Actually, there are 2 of these cars on autotrader, not 31. Get your facts straight. Also, this is setup as an alternative fuel vehicle, and it is the ONLY one of those, so it actually is exceedingly rare. Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

"folks" aren't always the smartest. Some people are resistant to change, and 'guru's' refusing to work on them doesn't prove that the system doesn't work. Do your homework and read about WVO. If are really interested in the subject, stop harassing me and start posting on an interest forum, where this type of batter is more appropriate.

I wouldn't go into a store and start telling people not to buy a product because I don't know all of the details, but have some prejudice about the product. It is inappropriate and mean spirited. Grow up.

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
kirs0037 said:
Actually, there are 2 of these cars on autotrader, not 31. Get your facts straight. Also, this is setup as an alternative fuel vehicle, and it is the ONLY one of those, so it actually is exceedingly rare. Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

"folks" aren't always the smartest. Some people are resistant to change, and 'guru's' refusing to work on them doesn't prove that the system doesn't work. Do your homework and read about WVO. If are really interested in the subject, stop harassing me and start posting on an interest forum, where this type of batter is more appropriate.

I wouldn't go into a store and start telling people not to buy a product because I don't know all of the details, but have some prejudice about the product. It is inappropriate and mean spirited. Grow up.
The thing is though, the Guru's around here are the ones who have seen it all, worked on it all, and been through it all. I suggest you focus on you desire to sell the vehicle and not alienate yourself or any of the more senior members here by arguing about grease in a diesel.

That being said, Welcome to the TDIclub. <Free bump to the top>

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
kirs0037 said:
Actually, there are 2 of these cars on autotrader, not 31.
You get your facts straight. I just did a shotgun search for Passat TDI, 131.

If you narrow it down to only 2005 it cuts that down to 128. So I think you fail at searching.

Also, this is setup as an alternative fuel vehicle, and it is the ONLY one of those, so it actually is exceedingly rare. Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.
I met a girl with the Hiv. Not everyone can get the Hiv. It's exceedingly rare. Do you want a date with the girl?

"folks" aren't always the smartest. Some people are resistant to change, and 'guru's' refusing to work on them doesn't prove that the system doesn't work.
IF this was an ALH, I might sort of agree. IF this was an AHU, I may agree a bit more. IF this was an IDI I'd probably agree quite a bit more. This is a PD.

You never said what type of oil you used. "Synthetic" doesn't narrow it down enough. Did you use Rotella 5w-40 or Mobile 1 Truck & SUV/Turbo Diesel Truck?

Do your homework and read about WVO. If are really interested in the subject, stop harassing me and start posting on an interest forum, where this type of batter is more appropriate.
The words you are looking for are Internet and Banter. Batter is what you make pancakes with.

Can we get some pictures of the WVO conversion? Specifically the spaghetti confetti that is the engine bay?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
kirs0037 said:
As for being very rare, it is because it is very rare. I see you have one as well, but if you search around on line, they are very difficult to find. Maybe I should just say 'rare'.
There were 2,143 Canadian and US 2005 Passat TDI wagons in the GLS trim and leather.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Posting on these forums with a greasecar PD is equivalent to jumping in a pool full of tiger sharks just after slitting your wrists and expecting not to get eaten alive.....the good luck with the sale I love these passats free bump!!!