Requesting help fixing leak windshield washer tank

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Requesting help fixing leaky windshield washer tank

About 6 weeks ago my windshield washer tank light blipped on, refill me now. Usually this doesn't happen too often 2 or 3 times a year so I didn't think about it.
I filled it up and went on my way. About 1 week later it went on again. So I filled it to the brim with water and did a static test- over night the level didn't drop. I assumed I was seeing things.
Then today it happened again, low WWF. So I started searching, mainly at passatworld and started in on exploratory surgury. Removed the front wheel, removed the wheel liner and voila, we have our culprit. This little disc with the two wiper fluid tubes is leaking. But I don't know what to do at this point.

How do I disassemble further? Is it best to put in a new part or is it worth cleaning, replacing o-rings and lubing o-rings? I'm not sure how to continue with disassembly w/o breaking things. Assistance from the forum gurus is requested!
Thanks

Last edited:

Wobbly

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
Here are the parts which I ordered to fix the leak, but I haven't installed them yet:
SUPPORT Part Number 1J0955665H Qty: 2 @$5.12 Total $10.24
GASKET Part Number 443955465 Qty: 1 @$2.01 Total $2.01

From 1stVW in Washington state.

Last edited:

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
TDI Power,

Thanks for taking the time to annotate my photos. Do the fluid hoses disconnect from the elbows, or do the elbows disconnect from the pump?

Wobbly:
For the $ in parts you have listed you are about half way $ wise to a new pump.

Again, should I be replacing the pump or trying to fix it?

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
Your welcome.

You got it right first time, the fluid hoses disconnect from the elbows.
For the electrical connection, you might want to spray with wd40 lubricant or something like it since it has been in dormant for quite soemtimes

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
I have a new pump in my hands. It appears there is no locking mechanism that holds the pump to the tank- just a friction fit with the rubber grommet. Is this correct?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Yes.

The angled hose "nipples" have black locking pieces on them. Rotate them 180 degrees and the nipples can be removed from the pump.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
BONUS, thanks for the rotation info...

I'm not sure if those elbows will attach as is to the barbs on the new pump or will I have to remove the nipple elbows and hope there is enough hose to make the 90* bends?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Once you remove the elbows from the old pump, compare the pumps and you'll have your answer.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Thanks to those who gave me advice- my pump is replaced and the leak appears to have abated.

This was quite a straight forward fix and a nice sense of accomplishment. I completed this in about 40 minutes.

I found that the elbows on the washer hoses pictured above had little leaver arms (ie the white square bit) that when opened allowed the elbows to slid right off the hose barbs on the old pump. Installing the new pump was a simple reverse process. I also replaced the gasket with a fresh one to be sure.

Thanks to the forum members for the assistance.

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Those "leaver arms" are what I meant as the bits to rotate. On mine they are round and rotate around the elbows. I see square in the picture above. One is black and one is white. These do make the process very easy to do. Definitely a DIY job.