Thinking about larger tires... How big can we go?

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
I've seen a couple people mention sizes edging up to 27" outer diameter that would fit... Has anyone got any real-world thoughts on that? Pictures?

Thinking about something like a Bridgestone Ecopia 422 that is available in a number of sizes, the biggest option right at 27" seems to be a 215/65/R16 and they have others that are between 26 and that 27".

The goal is raising the ride height slightly and also giving more clearance between the road and the rim for all the potholes I seem to keep finding, and more MPG is always nicer with a taller tire.

So... Thoughts?

Dwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 VW Jetta GLS TDI; 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I’m currently running 235/40-18s on my SportWagen, which are both taller and wider than the stock 225/45-17s. Absolutely zero rubbing. I know you’re looking for thicker sidewalls but just thought I’d throw that in there for comparison’s sake.

virtualpj

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I’m currently running 235/40-18s on my SportWagen, which are both taller and wider than the stock 225/45-17s. Absolutely zero rubbing. I know you’re looking for thicker sidewalls but just thought I’d throw that in there for comparison’s sake.

Are you on stock suspension? If so, have a pic you can share?

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I think the consensus across the lifted sportwagen threads is 215/60r16 increases the ride height, adds sidewall and keeps the speedo reasonably close. That's what I'm looking at getting once I install the lift kit I've cobbled together for the car.

For now it's running stock suspension on 245/40r17 and looks great, rides really well. No rubbing so far.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Yeah, a bit more sidewall is a goal for sure. Interesting on the sizes that you guys have though, mine came with 16" wheels (I know the 17 were a purchase option) and what it was / is wearing are Valterra 205/55/R16. With something like a 235/40.... WOW that has to be a short sidewall.

Here's how mine looks, ignore the spare rim b/c I picked up something (or popped the other one on a pothole) which is why I'm thinking about this right now.

So I'm definitely looking for something a bit taller. With the tune I also have plenty of power and can easily break the tires loose, so a taller tire might lower the ratio enough to put all the torque into the road instead.

Dwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 VW Jetta GLS TDI; 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Last edited:

LittleRedExpress

TDI
2012 Golf Sportwagen TDI 6MT / 1998 Jetta TDI / 2004 Jetta Wagon 5MT / 2004 Golf 4dr 5MT
following as i would like to do the same....followed later with an inch or two lift.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
With something like a 235/40.... WOW that has to be a short sidewall.
I'm running 245/40R17 (just a set I had on hand in the garage from my old UrS4). Which, according to the tire size calculator at 1010tire.com, is actually only 0.58" of an inch difference in sidewall height.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I’m running 215/55-17 on OEM Golf rims, 7 in ET54. No rubbing but at full lock they are pretty close to the rear side of the fender liner.

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
I went up a size, maybe 215's maybe 60's, I can't remember which. IIRC it was about 3% more in circumference. I didn't notice any improvements in fuel economy.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Here you go

The gas shocks lift the front a little so the gap isn’t even.

I can just get my finger in there and the tires are well worn.

Tigge springs

sinfony78

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 sportwagen
are you seeing a difference in your fuel mileage?
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

AllieJetta

TDI
2014 GSW 6M/TDi Wolfsburg
I think that 26.5" would be about the limit for JSW fender sizes. I'm currently running almost new 225/50R17 (Which works out to around 25.9") and they are very close on both front and rear. YMMV.

PlatinumGreyMk6

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen SEL
Wow, super meaty tires! Looks nice. Do they rub at all? Much of a difference with your speedo and odo?

Do I see Rally Armor mud flaps??

Really like your ride. And love the color!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

AllieJetta

TDI
2014 GSW 6M/TDi Wolfsburg
Zero rubbing through any normal driving, and clear lock to lock. My speedo has always been about 7% off and now its dead on which is a nice coincidence.

I'm running RokBlokz flaps for a MK6 Golf. Fronts were bolt on, rears required two extra holes be drilled in the flaps. I've got springs and shocks on order from ID Parts right now so she'll be a little higher once those arrive.

ewdysar

TDI
2014 JSW TDi 6m
Thanks for the info, Allie. I am thinking about 225/50R17 at 25.9" or 215/55R17 at 26.3" to go taller on my stock 17" rims to flesh out the tires along with the standard lift kit (Tiguan fronts and JSW towing rears). Good to know that the 225/50R17s don't rub, even without the lift.

With the stock 225/45R17 tires, I have found that my speedo is 2mph fast, regardless of speed. I have confirmed that via radar speed signs from 25mph up to 70mph. More surprising, after I installed a P3cars multi-function gauge, I can see that the OBD2 speed reading is dead on, therefore the ECM knows the actual vehicle speed, only the speedo gauge in the dash reads fast. Apparently, the ECM reads the speed and distance from the ABS sensors, so the odometer can be correct even when the speedo is off. If your speedo is now reading correct, your odometer may no longer be accurate, which is typical when increasing overall tire diameter.

What I have read is that the ECM can be adjusted to compensate for the tire size using a VCDS. That would bring the odometer back into spec, but your speedo would start reading high again.

Anyway, thanks for the pics.

Last edited:

PlatinumGreyMk6

TDI
Liking the 225/50/17, but thinking that it might be a BIT too big...

I'm wanting to get a bit extra sidewall with stock springs, but still have the wheel/tire be able to fit in the spare tire well. I plan on purchasing another OEM wheel and then rotating it out when I need to rotate tires.

Can anyone confirm it the 225/50 will fit?

I've been seriously thinking about 235/45/17. Anyone running that?

ewdysar

TDI
2014 JSW TDi 6m
@platgrey

AllieJ posted a link to pics of her sportwagen with 225/50R17s and reports no rubbing with the stock suspension. Since the 235/45s that you are considering have a wider section width and tread width than the stock 225/45s, or even the 225/50s, there may be interference while turning hard with suspension compression (dips and driveways, etc.)

My previous experience with larger tires on 4wd trucks and wider tires on lowered sports cars is that tire width causes more issues than tire height.

PlatinumGreyMk6

TDI
@platgrey

AllieJ posted a link to pics of her sportwagen with 225/50R17s and reports no rubbing with the stock suspension. Since the 235/45s that you are considering have a wider section width and tread width than the stock 225/45s, or even the 225/50s, there may be interference while turning hard with suspension compression (dips and driveways, etc.)

My previous experience with larger tires on 4wd trucks and wider tires on lowered sports cars is that tire width causes more issues than tire height.
Thanks for the input.

I thought that I found someone in here who has run the 235/45s...I cannot imagine that they'd cause rubbing with only being almost half an inch wider.

As I said before I am concerned with the new tire being able to fit in the spare tire well, as well as not getting my speedo and odo off too much. Hence the 235s.

Or maybe I should look at 205/50 or 215/15? I'm wanting to have more sidewall for both comfort and looks. But need to know if they fit in the well.

Any help is much appreciated!

ewdysar

TDI
2014 JSW TDi 6m
if you want more sidewall, with the same size rims you will get a larger diameter tire. Alternatively, getting 16" rims will allow for 0.5" more sidewall with the same overall tire diameter.

The 235/45s that you mentioned are 25.3" tall compared to the 25" stock tires and therefore have sidewalls that are 0.15" (just less than 3/16") taller than stock. I don't think that they will look or ride much different, but the extra 0.6" tread width could be helpful for racing or autocross.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about a greater tire diameter in the spare tire well, my stock spare looks like its got more than 1" clearance all around. A wider tire might press up on the luggage compartment floor and storage tray, but I think that might be a little bit of space above the stock spare. I would suggest using a blob of clay on the spare tire to check the sidewall to bin clearance if you're very concerned.

Last edited:

PlatinumGreyMk6

TDI
if you want more sidewall, with the same size rims you will get a larger diameter tire. Alternatively, getting 16" rims will allow for 0.5" more sidewall with the same overall tire diameter.

The 235/45s that you mentioned are 25.3" tall compared to the 25" stock tires and therefore have sidewalls that are 0.15" (just less than 3/16") taller than stock. I don't think that they will look or ride much different, but the extra 0.6" tread width could be helpful for racing or autocross.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about a greater tire diameter in the spare tire well, my stock spare looks like its got more than 1" clearance all around. A wider tire might press up on the luggage compartment floor and storage tray, but I think that might be a little bit of space above the stock spare. I would suggest using a blob of clay on the spare tire to check the sidewall to bin clearance if you're very concerned.
Right, that's a great idea about the clay. Need to try it.

I understand that I will change the tire diameter slightly, and am okay with that. I just don't want to change it that much to make everything out of whack.

I think the 225/50 is greater than 3% difference from stock (should I worry about this or is it insignificant?), which is what I was originally concerned about. The 235/45 is much less of a difference (tire calculators show it as a good alternate size).

ewdysar

TDI
2014 JSW TDi 6m
The good news is that you can correct your speedo and odo through the ECU using a VCDS or the dealership. Our cars use the ABS sensors to track distance and speed and the ECU has a code setting that allows for different tire rotations per mile, i.e. tire diameter. There is a limit to how much correction can be applied, but I believe that all the tire sizes discussed so far should be able to be dialed in.

PlatinumGreyMk6

TDI
The good news is that you can correct your speedo and odo through the ECU using a VCDS or the dealership. Our cars use the ABS sensors to track distance and speed and the ECU has a code setting that allows for different tire rotations per mile, i.e. tire diameter. There is a limit to how much correction can be applied, but I believe that all the tire sizes discussed so far should be able to be dialed in.
Thanks for sharing. I don't know much about VCDS as I'm new to VWs.

I understand that it allows modification to the computer and such. Is it worth a purchase or better to just find someone willing to loan it?

I found some on eBay for around $150ish.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I have some pics but not online at the moment. Once I lift the car I'll probably post pics.

Definitely get VCDS. It'll pay for itself. If you are patient you should be able to get a HEX+CAN cable for about $200-225 shipped and not have to worry about losing resale value as the available VINs decreases with use.