FS: '06 Smart Fortwo cdi (tdi) DIESEL NY $8,500

Status
Not open for further replies.

robfrey1

TDI
'05 VW Passat tdi
Selling a '06 Smart diesel coupe w/ 76K miles and in very nice condition. Standard options including traction control, block heater, keyless entry, electric windows, and power locks. Optional accessories include air conditioning, panoramic glass top with sliding sunshield, window tint, power heated mirrors, premium sound system, and premium wheels. Winter tires on rims are available.

Mechanically, everything works on this car. In one pic, you will notice a red light on the dash and this is simply the parking brake indicator. There are no codes or check engine lights illuminated on this car. Smart starts right up on a cold morning without even needing to plug in. Does not leak any fluids whatsoever. This car is definitely more then capable of doing a cross country trip. Cosmetic, the car looks great. However this car does have origins in Canada. Smart has designed a large plastic tray to cover the majority of the undercarriage to prevent rust and corrosion. Therefore any issues due to this are minimal.

Photo's:
http://s819.photobucket.com/user/robfrey1/slideshow/Gray%20Smart

Car is located in Buffalo, NY. If you have any questions or to request pics, feel free to reply or give me a call (650) 469-3828 Rob

Last edited:

robfrey1

TDI
'05 VW Passat tdi
Actually I am not a dealer. I do buy, sell, and trade a few unusual cars though to supplement my income. The photo's were taken on the grounds of the dealer I purchased the car from about 3 weeks ago.

The mpg's range from 34 to 36 highway, depending on my speed. If travelling at a constant 80mph, it does drop somewhat dramatically.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Just my 2 cents here: 1. If you buy and sell cars to supplement your income as you stated, you're a "dealer" and you should register as a vendor. 2. For $8500 you can buy a nice ALH 5speed wagon and have MORE room than a smart car (ie trunk and 2 extra seats) and get better mpg (50). GLWS!

robfrey1

TDI
'05 VW Passat tdi
JDS,
You are welcome to check with Ohio Dept. of Public Safety where they spell out who is entitled to register as a dealer and who is not. From a financial perspective, it makes sense for me to register except I don't qualify so I'm stuck paying sales tax on purchases I rarely keep for more then a month. So, NO, I do not qualify as a dealer. Oh, BTW, I get well over 50mpg with the Smart diesel, but if space is important to you, then your best bet is not this car.

Hope this helps put you at ease.....

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Thank you for informing me of that. Am I correct in that the current car for sale is an automatic and yours is a manual? That would explain the difference in mpg? I'm not trying to start a war here, just conversation.

straw10

Veteran Member
TDI
looking to get back to the TDI soon
Does it get 34-36 or 50? Just curious, was this the car on CL a couple of months back? It caught my eye as something original then.

robfrey1

TDI
'05 VW Passat tdi
34 to 36 mpg refers to the Smart with the lousy gasoline Mitsubishi engine. This car has the cdi turbo diesel. I have averaged about 54mpg with mix of highway city. If you read online, some refer to these getting in upwards of 70 mpg. They are probably referring to fuel economy measured in imperial gallons.

The car is a clutchless manual transmission with a full automatic selector if desired. I've heard it called a "slapstick" before mostly because to upshift through the gears, you simply nudge it forward (or back for downshifts). Very easy to do. My wife who has never driven a manual transmission in her life figured it out in about 5 minutes.

Thanks for the good discussion.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Actually I am not a dealer. I do buy, sell, and trade a few unusual cars though to supplement my income.
The mpg's range from 34 to 36 highway, depending on my speed. If travelling at a constant 80mph, it does drop somewhat dramatically.

Oh, BTW, I get well over 50mpg with the Smart diesel, .....

Does it get 34-36 or 50? Just curious, .
34 to 36 mpg refers to the Smart with the lousy gasoline Mitsubishi engine. This car has the cdi turbo diesel. I have averaged about 54mpg with mix of highway city.
Either it's diesel or "lousy gasoline Mitsubishi"? ...Your post contradict themselves.
For the benifit of the dought maybe it's an honest mistake and you can clarify? Right now sounds dealer doubletalk to me.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Either it's diesel or "lousy gasoline Mitsubishi"? ...Your post contradict themselves.
For the benifit of the dought maybe it's an honest mistake and you can clarify? Right now sounds dealer doubletalk to me.
You are out of line. Just read the first half line of the original post.

He said he was selling an 06 Diesel.

And yes, anyone can make an honest mistake. I have failed to properly read things before also.

To the OP: If you flip cars, then you are not a private seller. You are an unlicensed dealer. I do appreciate that you disclosed.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
You are out of line. Just read the first half line of the original post.

He said he was selling an 06 Diesel.

And yes, anyone can make an honest mistake. I have failed to properly read things before also.

To the OP: If you flip cars, then you are not a private seller. You are an unlicensed dealer. I do appreciate that you disclosed.
No not out of line at all, actually respectful in a quest for the MPG. I did read the 1st post, yes it is stated as diesel. One must also read the 3rd & 4th post
3rd post by wankl7 asking for MPG "How are the mpgs?"
4th post confirmed MPG to be that stated by O.P. that of Mitsubishi "The mpg's range from 34 to 36 highway, depending on my speed. If travelling at a constant 80mph, it does drop somewhat dramatically". Maybe it's just me (oh yeah & others) that are just plain confused???:confused:;)

Now lets let the O.P. clear it shall we?

Shaeet

TDI
12' JSW with mods, 05 Golf GLS 5spd
Hmm, i had no idea that the smart cars were offered with a diesel. I must have been living under a rock.

Then again, i've always been unimpressed with those cars. You'd think with the size/weight that the gasoline motor would net nearly 50mpg and a diesel would be well over 50 and probably more like 60 but NOPE.

What ever happened to the late 80's / early 90's econoboxes that easily got over 40mpg and some even 50? Cars like the CRX HF, EG Civic 1.5L, geo metro 1.0L, Ford Festiva, 1.6L Tercels & Corollas, etc.

robfrey1

TDI
'05 VW Passat tdi
Well, I do actually routinely get between 50 and 60 mpg depending on the speed I'm travelling and how weighted down the vehicle is. At 75 to 80 mph I'm pulling in only about 54, but at 55 to 60 mph it increases to about 58 mpg.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Hmm, i had no idea that the smart cars were offered with a diesel. I must have been living under a rock.
Lots of diesel Smart cars...just not in the USA.

Rob, is the buyer of this car going to be able to license/register it for use in the 50 states? Have you looked into that :confused:

Welcome aboard!

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2003 GLI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2010 TDI Sportwagen, 2010 Touareg v6TDI, 2005 TDI Wagon, current - 2006 v10TDI
No not out of line at all, actually respectful in a quest for the MPG. I did read the 1st post, yes it is stated as diesel. One must also read the 3rd & 4th post
4th post confirmed MPG to be that stated by O.P. that of Mitsubishi "The mpg's range from 34 to 36 highway, depending on my speed. If travelling at a constant 80mph, it does drop somewhat dramatically". Maybe it's just me (oh yeah & others) that are just plain confused???:confused:;)

Agreed. Very confusing, perhaps misleading?

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2003 GLI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2010 TDI Sportwagen, 2010 Touareg v6TDI, 2005 TDI Wagon, current - 2006 v10TDI
Lots of diesel Smart cars...just not in the USA.

Rob, is the buyer of this car going to be able to license/register it for use in the 50 states? Have you looked into that :confused:

Welcome aboard!
Wondering the same thing...?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's my understanding that the diesel version has never been certified for the USA by anyone. The tiny handful of cars in the USA can't provide any EPA release.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI

Well, I do actually routinely get between 50 and 60 mpg depending on the speed I'm travelling and how weighted down the vehicle is. At 75 to 80 mph I'm pulling in only about 54, but at 55 to 60 mph it increases to about 58 mpg.
It IS becoming pretty clear that this IS salesman double talk, and not to just me but many other posters on this thread.

Maybe I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the 1st time. ALL it should take to be clear this all up is a simple "yes it IS a diesel I'm advertising for sale" What do you say robfree, inquiring minds wanna know?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Greetings to fellow Smart Insider's. My name is Rob Frey and I've bought, sold, and traded approximately 45 Smart's over the years. I deal mostly with the former Canadian 450 diesels that have found their way into the US market. Until the 451's are introduced over here with the diesel engines, I'm settling for the 450's for now.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
At a minimum, it appears that the original poster is an unregistered dealer. For purposes of TDIclub participation, WE consider such a person to be a vendor.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=233777
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=222446
Potential purchasers of the particular vehicle under discussion in this thread need to be alert to the possibility that it has never been certified to meet US safety and emission standards, because that particular model and year were never sold in USA. While Canadian safety and emission standards are substantially similar, that's typically not good enough when the government comes calling. Check the paperwork of any such vehicle very, very carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.