Getting DPF data from 2009 A3 TDI CR 140 (ps)

Scotty45

TDI
Audi A3 2.0 TDI
Hi folks, I have a 2009 CBAB TDI Audi A3, and VAG DPF reports " engine not compatible", so I started down the Torque Pro route and got mixed results. None of the standard torque pids work (in regard to DPF / Soot / Ash etc, all regular ones like RPM etc are ok), nor do the ones in HPD's CSV file for VW however I get data from a couple of PIDs using custom queries, but using the equations I have read on here, they make no sense and jump around like mad when I am above 65mph / 2k rpm. They sit static below that speed or RPM. My daily commute is 20 miles each way of crawling city traffic with a 3 minute burst of 60 mph plus, then back to crawling so I am terrified my DPF is getting worse and worse. I need the data badly - can anyone help solve this?

I get a response only to 2 PIDs - 06b2 and 0601 (for DPF stuff anyway)

06b2:

0: 46 B2 C2 17 03 16
1: 00 6E FF FF 00 00 00

Now, only the last 2 bytes on line 0 ever change and only when I am over 2krpm in 4th upwards, say 40 to 60 gear dependent.

0601:

0: 46 01 C0 30 35 D4
1: 25 5F 41 45 00 00 00

I have not yet seen any of these bytes change.

Mode 06 on OBDFusion reports only 3 things:

$01 EGS B1S1 TID $C0
Min 14.55 Value 20.836 Max 25.49 Unit %

$31 EGR B1 TID $C0
Min -85 Value -22.5 Max 150 Units N/A

$B2 PM Filter B1 TID $C2
Min 0.1595 Value 1.0588 Max 95.050 Units PSI

Again, makes no sense. Has anyone ever gotten any custom PIDs to work on the CBAB engine to reveal DPF Temp, Soot load, Ash load etc?? I read all of the threads Google could dig up but got nowhere. I also can't work out where the equations come from to evaluate the numbers I am getting.

Hopefully someone on here can help or advise. I'm in Scotland btw hence the 2009 A3.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Have you tried any other engine types besides that one? In the US the CVCA isn't listed as supported but I tried some of the others and found one that works for me. The app owner is European and has no access to US cars so they will never be supported. Working for now though. this is for VAG-DPF.

Scotty45

TDI
Audi A3 2.0 TDI
Thanks buddy. I had tried all 12 groups in vag dpf but all gave no data. I was then hoping torque pro was the answer but so far had limited results that make no sense. I'm going to try working with the pids found in torque pro but need some help in working out how the equations are constructed.

Scotty45

TDI
Audi A3 2.0 TDI
Hey all, not to confuse this issue, I'm trying to get dpf soot info from torque pro. Can anyone shed any light on this? See my 06b2 response in post #1

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
What values in 06B2 does the torque test mode show?
(Test mode produces a long list of supported variables; it takes a while to populate, but then you can scroll through it.)

Scotty45

TDI
Audi A3 2.0 TDI
Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply, sorry I've not been on the forum for a few days. If I send a test command of 06B2 I get back the following data:

0: 46 B2 C2 17 03 16
1: 00 6E FF FF 00 00 00

If I am driving above 60mph in 5th then the last 2 bytes on the top row change values abruptly but then at a steady cruise below 60 they remain static.

If I use the scan function, it takes forever, starts at 2200 and never finds anything! I have looked at the test function but it does not show any DPF related items. I can read them (DPF stats) with VCDS and my Foxwell NT520 but that is cumbersome on the go, I wanted the VAG DPF app to work so bad. It seems Daaren Fonloil (the app writer) says he has no support for the CBAB 103KW CR TDi engine as he couldn't get the protocol figured out.

Last edited:

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
So, the torque test function from the main menu (not the scan function, and not the single command test) shows no variables in the 6b2 range?

fastboatster

TDI
09 jsw 2.5 gasoline:(
interesting. do we know which measuring block numbers correspond to DPF data in vcds? you can either just continue to monitor dpf values using vcds or your other scan tool, or, if you know measuring block numbers, you can try to monitor it with my app, there're a couple of posts about it in the OBDEleven thread. Don't want this to sound like a shameless plug, though. You said that VAG DPF doesn't support that engine's protocol, do we know which protocol that is?
P.S. seems like it's not UDS, so that's good. Looks like meas block values of interest should be 97, 99, 100, 101, 105, 106 and 108

Scotty45

TDI
Audi A3 2.0 TDI
So no, the last time I checked the main test function on the front screen (with the red and green bars icon) showed nothing at all to do with DPF or any sensors in the cat, or the O2 sensors. The data is readable on DPF from channel 100 to 108 in the engine blocks using my Foxwell NT520 or VCDS. I think the car is mixed UDS and KWP / ISO as some modules have no blocks to look at in VCDS and the button is greyed out. This is a Uk car built on the turn of 2009 when UDS came out and it's a face-lift model here in Scotland when others a few months older are totally different looking and even work on VAG DPF. A friend's car is a year newer and it works too.

I just wanted to use VAG DPF and the mobile instead of a handheld or laptop while I'm commuting. When I checked 0600 I get (with no headers) 00080001 or similar showing it only supports one PID (or TID) and the next bank (0620) show 00000001 and then 0640 again shows 00000001 then 0660 = no data. so 06B2 is the only address that works and that only sends the 2 strings shown in an earlier post.

It looks like the car only responds to CAN requests to query DPF data? I think that's why the Carista adaptor and the ObdLink LX couldn't read it, yet when I use Carista to alter coding, it does it no problem suggesting CAN is in there, yet TorquePro seems unable to detect CAN capability in the adaptor.

Last edited:

Scotty45

TDI
Audi A3 2.0 TDI
interesting. do we know which measuring block numbers correspond to DPF data in vcds? you can either just continue to monitor dpf values using vcds or your other scan tool, or, if you know measuring block numbers, you can try to monitor it with my app, there're a couple of posts about it in the OBDEleven thread. Don't want this to sound like a shameless plug, though. You said that VAG DPF doesn't support that engine's protocol, do we know which protocol that is?
P.S. seems like it's not UDS, so that's good. Looks like meas block values of interest should be 97, 99, 100, 101, 105, 106 and 108
hey you're spot on about the block numbers, I hadn't tried 97 or 99 but the rest are correct. What is your app buddy?

I did converse with Daaren Fonloil, the writer of VAG DPF and it was he who told me he couldn't get the CBAB engine to work as it uses an old protocol and he hadn't taken it further. I can only see references to OBD II CAN bus or Bosch-Audi proprietory protocols online.

Last edited:

fastboatster

TDI
09 jsw 2.5 gasoline:(
My app is called iOBDScanR, it is for iOS currently. If you have an iPhone, then you can try it and see if it works for you and/or why it doesn’t.

Scotty45

TDI
Audi A3 2.0 TDI
Yeah it is mixed UDS/KWP2000 CAN, and the engine is non-UDS.

I am a long time Android user, so no go on the iOS app!