Blinking Oil Light, Battery not charging

dre77vw

TDI
Weiß ~ 97 White Passat Wagon B4V, 5sp, 360k
My B4 1Z has done this a few times, only when its below freezing. The oil light flashes, the battery isn't getting charged, and the battery light eventually comes on (solid). On two occasions, after a jump, everything was back to normal. Tonight it happened while I was driving. I was almost home so I was determined to ride it out. The battery went dead, lights almost out, and it started running rough (as one would expect without electrical current). Then miraculously, lights bright, warning lights go away, everything running normal. Similar posts lead me to think the first thing I should check are the grounds? I am not sure how to do this. I have a good local mechanic, but the nearest guru is almost 2 hours. If it's simple enough for me to remedy, I'd rather not waste the time and money to take it to the shop. Any help is greatly appreciated.

dre77vw

TDI
unrelated coincidence?

This problem started when I had it in the shop for the oil line feed for the turbo. It had blown tons of oil into the engine compartment.

Also, I'll probably catch hell for this. The alternator is fairly new, replaced by the PO, but it is some kind of Chinese Autozone crapola. Do alternators fail because of cold weather?

I've had the block warmer plugged up for the first time overnight, so I'm giving her that advantage for today's test run.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Alternators fail because they're Chinese Autozone crapola. You probably just need to change out the alternator....again. Is the new turbo feed line tight or is it blowing oil? Is your oil level correct?

dre77vw

TDI
The oil level is good. It started right up today. Then lost power and died. Is the oil light somehow linked to the alternator?

I found another possible issue. There is a small blue wire going into connector that seems to be frayed/cut. It probably happened during the oil feed line repair. Is that possibly the source of this whole issue? I'm going to attempt to splice it and see what happens.

I'd hate to replace the alternator and that not be the issue.

dre77vw

TDI
Alternators fail because they're Chinese Autozone crapola. You probably just need to change out the alternator....again. Is the new turbo feed line tight or is it blowing oil? Is your oil level correct?
Thanks for the help!

dre77vw

TDI
The oil level is good. It started right up today. Then lost power and died. Is the oil light somehow linked to the alternator?
I found another possible issue. There is a small blue wire going into connector that seems to be frayed/cut. It probably happened during the oil feed line repair. Is that possibly the source of this whole issue? I'm going to attempt to splice it and see what happens.
I'd hate to replace the alternator and that not be the issue.
Successfully spliced the blue wire. Problem solved!