Tdi Transmission from my ALH to my 1.8t ???

ob1coby

TDI
Seeking
Folks in the DubClub installed a ALH Tdi Transmission on a 1.8t jetta. That would make my 1.8t much more practical for long trips at highway speed (75-80). Will the TDI transmission bolt right up to the 1.8t?? both stick and auto bolt right up??

ob1coby

TDI
Seeking
Never mind sorry. I should have done my homework first. Looks like the manual will bolt right up so I'm sure the auto does as well.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Bolt up? Yes. But may not work properly. Depends on how the TCM is configured. Also depends on which transmission(s) we are talking about here.

The ALH's only automatic option here was the crappy 01M 4sp unit.

The AWW, AWP, etc. 1.8t could have been bolted to a 01M or the 5sp 09A Jatco, but regardless the gearing and controls are very different, as are expected gear ratios.

ob1coby

TDI
Seeking
So, as you mentioned, the gearing will be very different. That is precisely what I'm trying to accomplish. the transmissions that came on the 1.8t are geared too low. If I want to travel for long distances at highway speed (75-80mph) my 1.8t is screaming at a higher RPM than I prefer. Especially for long trips.

ob1coby

TDI
Seeking
Bolt up? Yes. But may not work properly. Depends on how the TCM is configured. Also depends on which transmission(s) we are talking about here.

The ALH's only automatic option here was the crappy 01M 4sp unit.

The AWW, AWP, etc. 1.8t could have been bolted to a 01M or the 5sp 09A Jatco, but regardless the gearing and controls are very different, as are expected gear ratios.
That must be the only transmission on the ALHs 99-03? Why is the 01M a crappy tranny? Was it problematic and high maintenance?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
That must be the only transmission on the ALHs 99-03? Why is the 01M a crappy tranny? Was it problematic and high maintenance?

Yes, and yes. The reasons are many.
I wouldn't buy a TDI with the 01M 4 speed automatic and so wouldn't even consider swapping it into anything else.
As oilhammer says, I will bolt up but there are several other issues to possibly resolve (other than the 01M being trouble) with making the Transmission Control Module happy since shift points and operation are electronically controlled.
The 09A 5 speed unit is much better, but again, getting the TCM to operate properly might be a gamble. Maybe get in contact with the guys that did the swap and find out if they ran into any such problems and if so, how they overcame them. Most of the time guys that have done stuff like that are willing to share the experience.
Perhaps some larger diameter wheels/tires combination might accomplish enough of a change?

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
The auto TCMs were all built to function with the matching engine and ECM. I very much doubt you could put an automatic TDI trans on to your 1.8T and make it work properly. TDI manual trans is another story. Optimal setup is certainly the stock 1.8T trans with a TDI 5th gear swapped in. Or a 6-speed trans from one of the many 1.8Ts that came with a 6MT.

ob1coby

TDI
Seeking
Yea, the swap I saw was a manual. I was hoping an auto would work because the existing car is an auto. I saw something else recently about adding just the top gear of a 5 or 6 speed in a manual. I wonder if that can be done with the automatic. In other words just using the top gear of a 01m in a auto transmission from the 1.8t. I suspect the controls and valve bodies would still make it difficult. Thanks for all of your help so far folks.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
A vw (99-05]with an auto is a swap to manual candidate or a parts vehicle. Not much good for anything else.