Brake Pad Wear Sensor Question

HamtramckDiesel

TDI
2002 VW GOLF, 5SPD, Black
So my brake pad sensor came on a little after getting the car but the brakes are fine. So I didn't really mess with it until recently changing the inter-cooler and VNT actuator.

Looks like the actual cable coming from the wheel well itself is bad (tire rub maybe), does anyone know what I can do to replace it. Or will it better to just get VAG-COM to turn it off.

Thanks!

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
What cable are you talking about, use tapatalk to post pics easier.
If you're talking about the wire that runs up the strut and into the car, you can find one at pull a part, however, if you're talking about the end that goes into the brake pad you can twist the wires together to shut off the light and be aware of where the brakes condition. the brake sensor is integral to the pads and is just a wire that breaks and causes the light to come on when it does.

If it is on the car side I would repair it, brakes pads will be replaced with a new sensor when the time comes.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
If you check your pads regularly, just turn it off with VCDS. The sensor only provides limited monitoring, and the cables often break or give a signal at the wrong time (too late, too early).

HamtramckDiesel

TDI
I am currently at work and can take a picture around 12ET. But, yeah it is the wire that is hooked on the strut. It is damaged. That's what I was going to ask is it easy to fix.

It's not the actual sensor on the brake pad itself. It's actually that wire as I mentioned before. I tried searching and couldn't find a related thread.

HamtramckDiesel

TDI
I sadly do not have a VCDS atm. I was going to ask Kirk or someone else near me in the Grand Rapids area to do it.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Just repair or replace the wire, you've done the hard part (diagnosis). Not sure what we can say on this interweb that can help.
Search here to see what others have done-
VW TDI Search Engine

Depending on how you are with your cars, you might just remove it and satisfy the circuit so there's no light.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
O.K., I'll try.
Cut out a 2" section where the bad wire is, leave 3/8" bare wire on the wire you left in the car. Get a 3" piece of wire same gauge with 3/8" bare each end. Use method A or B below.
A. get 2 butt connectors and crimp to create new circuit. You need high quality connectors and crimper, if you don't have those, use method B.
B. Tin all 4 bare wire sections, flux, then just melt some solder on each. Solder the ends together to create new circuit.

Now you want to protect your new connects, heat shrink (slip these on before methods A or B) or tape or whatever. If you soldered, be careful where the wire will lay and move with wheel travel. Soldered joints are rigid and can snap.

HamtramckDiesel

TDI
O.K., I'll try.
Cut out a 2" section where the bad wire is, leave 3/8" bare wire on the wire you left in the car. Get a 3" piece of wire same gauge with 3/8" bare each end. Use method A or B below.
A. get 2 butt connectors and crimp to create new circuit. You need high quality connectors and crimper, if you don't have those, use method B.
B. Tin all 4 bare wire sections, flux, then just melt some solder on each. Solder the ends together to create new circuit.

Now you want to protect your new connects, heat shrink (slip these on before methods A or B) or tape or whatever. If you soldered, be careful where the wire will lay and move with wheel travel. Soldered joints are rigid and can snap.

So it looks like this is the cause of my brake pad sensor and abs light on the dash. Should I juust replace the entire thing then?

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi

So it looks like this is the cause of my brake pad sensor and abs light on the dash. Should I juust replace the entire thing then?
Well, they are different sensors, one is in the pad, the other is behind the hub and uses the hub ring to get readings. I only see one 'worn' wire here, its one or the other... You definitely should repair that and see what happens though. This is the first time you mentioned abs light as well. The brake pad warning sensor only exists on drivers side front.

HamtramckDiesel

TDI
This one the driver side. They both come from this wire. This wire runs from inside the hood out to the wheel well splits into two and those two one is abs and one is brake pad.

My abs light was coming on and off and never had an issue until this brake pad sensor came on and the abs light stays on now too. Do you think I can cut it and use a butt connector??

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
My abs light was coming on and off and never had an issue until this brake pad sensor came on and the abs light stays on now too. Do you think I can cut it and use a butt connector??
I would ya.. be sure to seal with tape if doing that.

For longevity using solder and heat shrink would be recommended /blah blah

HamtramckDiesel

TDI
Yeah I have a small torch like thing. I'll add the butt connector and then shink-wrap it. Idk if i'll solder it. Lol

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Yep. I'd repair it but do be aware that I've twice seen vehicles (mine being one) that had a caliper slider stick on the *wrong* side and, of course, if that happens the "indicator" does you zero good. I caught it on a tire rotation while the other vehicle (owned by a friend) caught it when it ground a nice groove in the rotor on the pax side with the attendant noise.... :)

I rate that "indicator" as somewhat useful but hardly a substitute for regular inspections when you rotate the tires, at which point the caliper and pads are staring you in the face anyway....

HamtramckDiesel

TDI
I could care less for the indicator. I do enough cleaning, and taking the wheels off that I inspect the brakes regularly.

I am having an ABS issue now. IT used to come on and go. It is permanent now and its been freakin' annoying. I plugged it in with my buddies OBD II scanner and I am getting the sensor fault 00283? I replaced the fuse already and it seems to be plugged in. Anything else I should try before replacing the sensor.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten