Project Race Wagon - 15 GSW Street/Track Build

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I must be using a "heartbreak" dyno. My deleted '15 with CP3 (200bar more fuel pressure) was nothing close to the above figures. Granted, I did not dyno with it in stock form which I should have. It'll go to the same dyno once the 1752vrk is dialed in though so I'll have good comparison numbers. DC stage 3 clutch also has ridiculous torque rating with amazingly stock pedal effort. Amazing the differences compared to my dated SBC stage 3 on the 02J in my Jetta.
Yeah, I know all about heartbreaker dynos. The guy at the diesel shop where I dyno'd my mk6 (w/ similar mods)told me straight up that their Mustang dyno has broken many hearts. The amount of variation between different machines is ridiculous. They're really mostly just useful for a baseline. I made the same mistake of not doing a "before" session. It was still a lot of fun though :).

Larry@FixMyVW

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
The Wavetrac install is now complete! I will report back on initial driving impressions.

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Interesting your 02Q has at least some brass selector forks. Mine were all welded steel with part numbers etched on them that could not be located in any dealer search engine. I would have thought they'd all be the same.

You'll love the LSD, puts a smile on my face every time I push through a corner. Just pulls you right through!

Larry@FixMyVW

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
Interesting your 02Q has at least some brass selector forks. Mine were all welded steel with part numbers etched on them that could not be located in any dealer search engine. I would have thought they'd all be the same.

You'll love the LSD, puts a smile on my face every time I push through a corner. Just pulls you right through!
I was a little surprised myself after seeing yours with steel forks. I do know my transmission code is PFN, I wasn't aware there are different versions.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Torsional shock at idle is probably not a major concern for a pure race application, if you aren't idling a lot and regular internal trans work is just another part of race prep.

Just be sure to check these after about 10k miles, and let us know how they are doing:

Last edited:

Larry@FixMyVW

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
Here is a comparison of the CR190 vs. CR150. It is not a huge difference in size, but definitely noticeable in the power department!

Larry@FixMyVW

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
You have a date for dyno testing with cr190 yet?
Unfortunately not, been too busy here at the shop to sneak away for a few hours. I'll post numbers and possibly video as soon as it happens, I'm just as excited as you guys to see what it puts down!

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Torsional shock at idle is probably not a major concern for a pure race application, if you aren't idling a lot and regular internal trans work is just another part of race prep.

Just be sure to check these after about 10k miles, and let us know how they are doing:

These were brass in the 02M gearboxes that had no issues, correct? Wondering if they'd swap into an 02Q. I've got 13k miles on mine since swapping the clutch (running fluidampr as well), and am thinking of sending in a UOA sample off to be tested.

Larry@FixMyVW

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
Initial Wavetrac and Fluidampr impressions:
The Wavetrac and Fluidampr were installed at the same time. The gear chatter at idle/neutral is significantly quieter with this setup. The Wavetrac is amazing, turn the wheel, apply lots of throttle, car gets sucked in that direction; absolutely fantastic!! Just need to code out traction control completely, currently running on the GTI setting. In 2nd gear, 30MPH, full throttle, still spins both tires and traction control intervenes pulling power. This is with ECS OFF, obviously not off enough.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Also code out the vibration reduction, it's been reported to pull torque even if the tires aren't spinning, most noticeably in the first few gears.

On my Alltrack if coded, first press is "ECS sport", holding down the ECS button for 15 seconds, ECS off is shown in the trip counter and lets you get all sideways in the snow, all 4 tires clawing.

Larry@FixMyVW

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
Also code out the vibration reduction, it's been reported to pull torque even if the tires aren't spinning, most noticeably in the first few gears.

On my Alltrack if coded, first press is "ECS sport", holding down the ECS button for 15 seconds, ECS off is shown in the trip counter and lets you get all sideways in the snow, all 4 tires clawing.
The GSW does not have a traction control button, it is chosen through the infotainment screen. The current settings are: ASR ON/ ESC SPORT/ ESC OFF. Going to try more coding shortly to see if I can adjust it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Best of luck.

CruisingWagon

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI S
Being an S model, my car had the standard halogens. I purchased the replica lighting package headlights from BEC autoparts and the grill from eBay. They were all a direct swap. Would look good on a red car!
I have the grill and the replacement lights to do this on my red GSW. Will probably get to it this spring.

Larry@FixMyVW

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
Best of luck.
Traction control appears to be fully off now when I choose ESC OFF. Vibration reduction was already deactivated, but I did change the throttle pedal to linear. Overall, these few changes made a huge difference!

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Traction control appears to be fully off now when I choose ESC OFF. Vibration reduction was already deactivated, but I did change the throttle pedal to linear. Overall, these few changes made a huge difference!
Did you find the coding to turn ECS off or did you do it threw infotainment? Does it stay off permanantly or has to be reswitched off every key cycle?

Larry@FixMyVW

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
Did you find the coding to turn ECS off or did you do it threw infotainment? Does it stay off permanantly or has to be reswitched off every key cycle?
It has been coded to "GTI" spec for quite some time, but even with "ESC OFF" it would still interfere. ESC has to be "deactivated" in the ABS module. It defaults to ASR ON/ESC ON every startup and it works, but now I can choose ESC OFF in the infotainment screen and it is completely off.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
that looks like a 3rd gear run for stock and 4th gear run for stage 2

Did you do a 4th gear pull when stock?

Last edited:

Larry@FixMyVW

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
that looks like a 3rd gear run for stock and 4th gear run for stage 2

Did you do a 4th gear pull when stock?
They both should be in 4th gear, this is the first 2015 we have baseline numbers on. Are the stock numbers low? The car is rated at 150HP/240TQ at the crank stock; we thought these numbers looked high.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My '12 Golf made 125/225 on a very conservative dyno. Crank stated numbers were 140/236. Dyno operator said that, unlike the Japanese cars they usually delt with, the factory numbers were conservative.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
Initial Wavetrac and Fluidampr impressions:
The Wavetrac and Fluidampr were installed at the same time. The gear chatter at idle/neutral is significantly quieter with this setup. The Wavetrac is amazing, turn the wheel, apply lots of throttle, car gets sucked in that direction; absolutely fantastic!! Just need to code out traction control completely, currently running on the GTI setting. In 2nd gear, 30MPH, full throttle, still spins both tires and traction control intervenes pulling power. This is with ECS OFF, obviously not off enough.
Where did you get the fluidampr i didnt know they had one for the tdi

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It has been coded to "GTI" spec for quite some time, but even with "ESC OFF" it would still interfere. ESC has to be "deactivated" in the ABS module. It defaults to ASR ON/ESC ON every startup and it works, but now I can choose ESC OFF in the infotainment screen and it is completely off.

On the Alltrack the only way I can have any fun is when its ESC OFF, its displayed in stead of the trip counter. Was able to get 4 wheel drifts going if I stayed on the throttle long enough for the rear to fully stay on.

Glad you're able to really enjoy the ride, sounds like a killer set up.

Larry@FixMyVW

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
Where did you get the fluidampr i didnt know they had one for the tdi

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
We are a Fluidampr dealer, they sent us a prototype to try. We worked with them last year on developing a balancer for the BMW M57 engines; found in the 335D and X5 35D in the US. Perks of a great manufacturer relationship.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
We are a Fluidampr dealer, they sent us a prototype to try. We worked with them last year on developing a balancer for the BMW M57 engines; found in the 335D and X5 35D in the US. Perks of a great manufacturer relationship.
Is it any different than the previous version, or is it just cut on the backside to ride over the ridge that exists on the lower timing cover so you don't have to shave it down :)

Larry@FixMyVW

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
Is it any different than the previous version, or is it just cut on the backside to ride over the ridge that exists on the lower timing cover so you don't have to shave it down :)
I'm not sure, I didn't pay close enough attention to it when I opened the package. Also, I had it installed when the Wavetrac was installed. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Larry@FixMyVW

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
Hi Guys!
Our Mustang AWD dyno is installed and up and running! We will begin datalogging the wagon to finish tuning development of the CR190 turbo setup. We will release results as they become available. Stay tuned!

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Awesome! [emoji1474][emoji1474]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk