Weird day weird problem!!

Deisel

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
So my transmission cooling line blows off my truck today and sticks me on the side of the road. I get my wife to pick me up and take me to get some transmission fluid. I get the truck going and what do you know the tdi won't go in reverse. Push it back and she turns the hazards off and kills it. When she started it back up everything ran fine. She said all the PRND lights were flashing. Does anyone know what could have caused this? I thought it might have been something she did or that she was sitting on a bit of a hump she thought the hazards was causing it but we couldn't get it to repeat.
Thanks for the help.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
What kind of tranny? DSG or regular automatic? As I recall, 2006 had both types.

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
If its a DSG when was the last time you changed the filter and fluid. Also check for faults in the trans.

Deisel

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
It is a 6speed DSG probably does need filter and fluid change. That's one thing I thought it may be but it would go in drive just not reverse. Then everything worked fine. Probably wouldn't hurt to go ahead and get the transmission serviced but te nearest shop that will mess with it about 3 hours away... The joys of owning a tdi. I still love this car though.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Probably why I won't own a DSG. They are fantastic when they work right, but are a certain kind of hell when they don't. No transmission should just arbitrarily decide to start malfunctioning.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
It's not difficult to do the fluid change on your own, though the upfront costs if only done once may be a bit much. You'll probably want to get the DGS control unit reflashed with the most up to date programming to see if that helps. Also gassers have DSG trannies as well. This is not a transmission that is unique to TDI's.