Heater Controls PLEASE HELP!!!

DanisTDI

TDI
Passat 1997 Black Met
On the Hot/Cold know it doesnt change from hot or to cold it just turns. And on the blow direction knob, it gets "stuck" at the "head/feet" postition. I dont know what is wrong and im not sure how to get that panel out. I can get the cover off and then i just cant wedge the controls out.

Cindal_Jetta

TDI
Jetta 2003 TDI
First off Calm Down. Do you know that you now have two posts...I am going to assume that something like soda was spilled and probably got into the controls. Or the controls are broken.

Anyway, just taking the cover off and unscrewing the four 20 torx will not solve your problem. You need to take the center console, where the shift knob is located, out then you may have access to the vent controls. (Taking out the radio may give you a view of what you are doing)

This is on an A4 Jetta.

Last edited:

DanisTDI

TDI
Passat 1997 Black Met
hmmm...so i pretty much need to take the whole dash apart?

DanisTDI

TDI
Passat 1997 Black Met
or does anyone know where i could get a replacement climate control "knob section"

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
it sounds like you may have lost the vacuum connection into the HVAC controls. Vacuum is used to adjust the flaps that direct the air across the heater coils and for the air direction.

DanisTDI

TDI
Passat 1997 Black Met
Well when i turn the temp control knob from cold towards hot something clicks and the knob feels funny. and on the blow direction knob it just stops at head/foot position. If it is the vacum lines how do i get that "panel" out to repair it.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll have to consult my Bentley when I get home tonight.

TurbineWhine

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Platinum Grey
DanisTDI said:
or does anyone know where i could get a replacement climate control "knob section"
I have an extra climate control module for a 02 Jetta. Doubt it will fit a 97 Passat though. Dealer replaced mine and all it needed was the bulb changed, which is covered in the How To Stickies.

TW

DanisTDI

TDI
Passat 1997 Black Met
Thanks TDI Tom once you check it out get back to me. Maybe if you have a scanner if you wouldnt mind scanning me the diagram of how to get that out.

Thanks

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was mistaken on the vacuum control: it is only for the fresh air flap. The other controls are shown as mechanical cables.

There are several drawings to look at for the removal and adjustment of cables. I'll see if I can post them.