www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old November 11th, 2018, 07:28   #7111
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
That car looks great. Makes me want to drag out my Corrado steelies!
Thanks, for steel wheels, they look decent, but theyíre definitely heavy. Iím not shy about taking the car to the body shop to get paint fixed, bodywork after rust repair, etc. I want to keep the car on the road, as long as I can.

Forgot that I painted the fastener caps for the hinge pocket covers and they got reinstalled. Both B4 filler neck boots, were removed and all the road crud was hosed out. Pulled out the fender foam on the sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntofli View Post
Replaced the IP head seal o-ring.... I was nervious about letting pump head out to far and innards falling out... Got it replaced and no more leak.....
I did it that way once and the head definitely gets wobbly. I didnít want to spend too much time on the Rotbox, so I tried the shortcut.

I remember the IDI guys would rotate the IP to TDC, then remove the rear plug where the dial indicator would thread in, and install a long bolt. The bolt would get threaded in, as the head bolts were loosened. This keeps pressure on the shim, keeping it from dropping out.

Iím used to removing the entire pump and doing a full reseal, but Iíll need to remember the bolt trick, if thereís a next time.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2018, 15:03   #7112
97B4TDi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-52

Well I was driving up north yesterday morning and I clipped a deer... Me and my girlfriend are ok as well as the Passat. I was able to scrub off enough speed no major damage was done but now I am missing my front grille and the metal trim band which goes below the grille is also pretty bent but I believe I can bend it back into shape.

Do any of you happen to be parting any Passats out?

If so would you also have a horn and/or a grille?

Thank you very much.

97B4TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2018, 00:10   #7113
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97B4TDi View Post
Well I was driving up north yesterday morning and I clipped a deer... Me and my girlfriend are ok as well as the Passat. I was able to scrub off enough speed no major damage was done but now I am missing my front grille and the metal trim band which goes below the grille is also pretty bent but I believe I can bend it back into shape.

Do any of you happen to be parting any Passats out?

If so would you also have a horn and/or a grille?

Thank you very much.
I have a friend in Ames who last I knew had some B4 bits hanging around. Not sure what he has but I will ask.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2018, 06:47   #7114
97B4TDi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Addy View Post
I have a friend in Ames who last I knew had some B4 bits hanging around. Not sure what he has but I will ask.

Steve

Thanks Steve

97B4TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2018, 13:28   #7115
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97B4TDi View Post
Thanks Steve
Sorry to say the only thing he has left is a front bumper cover, and he said that's not much to look at, he said otherwise there might be something there but he doesn't know about it. It's an old school gymnasium taken over by a parts / car hoarder so I would guess you know what that means...lol.

At any rate I'm going to guess from your fuelly photo that your car is black?

Holmes Auto Recycling in Oshkosh says they have one. $30
Hayward Auto Salvage in Hayward says they have a green one. $30
Auto and Scrap Recyclers in Milwaukee say they have a burgundy one. $call

Whether these guys are selling the complete front or just the grille insert I cannot say, and whether they have the whole thing or anything at this point I cannot say, but they are listed on car-parts.com for midwest search on grille 96 Passat. There are also some places in Michigan that have stuff too and MN as well. The ones that actually list a color I'm guessing are selling the complete trim with grille insert. In any event you will want to ask so you don't end up surprised.

When you say that the metal can be bent back do you mean the actual upper radiator support? Those are not all that tough to replace if you wanted to replace that as well.

Anyway, those are some options that I found, if you check car-part.com you can search as well and see what's available. There are some MN options too that would be easier / closer than getting something out of Michigan maybe too, you will have to look and see.

Hope this helps!

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:12   #7116
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Rotbox got some attention.

It has 2 leaking snow tires. Pulled the wheels and inspected them for obvious stuff like nails, cuts, dry rot, etc.. Nothing seen, so they were sprayed down with soapy water and still nothing seen. Probably corrosion at the bead... the worse wheel loses about 15psi in 3 days. I may add some Slime. Never used it before, but it gets decent reviews.

Power steering was suddenly very jerky. Checked the belt, and tension seemed ok, but the belt definitely needs to be changed. Added a bit more tension and it fixed the issue, at least for now....

Since I had the car in the air, I slipped some cardboard in, between the rad and condenser.

Investigated the sudden loss of power at the lighter sockets. I remember running an additional socket and line, but didn’t remember how I ran it. Pulled the center console and green wire changed color, so I’d never have remember that. Turned out to be a bad connection at a Scotchlok tap. Easily fixed, but it was behind the HVAC controls.

I find it odd that the rear interior lights don’t come on with the dome light. VW really cheaped out on this car... I may run some wire and diodes, to change that.

-Todd
Old Yesterday, 13:29   #7117
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Back to the Rotbox. Bought 24oz of Slime for $10. Bottle recommends 20oz for a car tire, but since I didnít have a puncture I dumped in 6oz., in the worst tire. I then found the leak at the valve stem base, not at the core where I applied a dollop of spit.

Decided to check the other leaking tire and same deal.

I had the wheel off the car, so I flipped the wheel from face down to face up a few times to ensure the stem seat was coated. Bolted the wheel on the car and idled around the neighborhood in first gear. I didnít want centrifugal force keeping the Slime slung to the outside tread. Let goop and drip all over.... it seemed to have worked... no more bubbles at the stem base!

I have slight shimmy at 50+ mph. Tried to vacuum the left over Slime out, but I probably got less than a tablespoon out. I read one review that mentioned the same, but they said after a few minutes, the shimmy disappeared. I guess Iíll see what happens.

Iíll wait and see if the leak is actually fixed, before doing the other wheel.

Found a used PS belt in the shed. Not great, but better than what was on the Rotbox, so it was swapped.

More paint was flaking off the passenger door, so I did some ďrust repairĒ. Acetone and a nylon brush, followed up with Rustoleum gloss black. Warm it with a torch, then apply another coat. Decided to do the rear area, too. Good as new!

May as well do the driver side. No prep was needed...

Rear door molding was falling off, so I ran another self tapping screw to hold it on. The bit slipped and I scratched the paint with the drill.... show car, no more.

When I bought this car, I never planned on a restoration....

Wired the rear map lights to the front dome light. Depinned the grounds at the rear lights and now they turn on when any of the doors are opened. One light wouldnít stay in the ďon position, so the light was disassembled and the contact was CAed closed.

The rears donít have the delayed off feature, nor can they be turned on as map lights, but itís better than it was.

-Todd
Old Yesterday, 13:58   #7118
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

Car turned 260K two days ago. Did an oil change and swapped out air filters too. Replaced a splitting intercooler coupler, but I still have a boost leak I need to track down. New fuel map, setup opposite of how everyone talks about doing, is better than a hammer mod.