idle speed control

Tony K T

TDI
1998 jetta
I have a 1998 jettd tdi.I can't find the idle control adjustment screw.Can anybody tell me where it is?Is it possible that it has been removed,and the vehicle will still operate?I have a Haynes book that shows everything on diesels,but the screw is no where to be found.
In N.H.,Tony.

Last edited:

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
You need Vag Com...

Where in NH are you?
I have Vag com here at the ho5g..

OH Haynes is useless.... you need the Bently you can look at mine.

PeterV

TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Also wrong section.. you have an A3. Not an A5.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Right answer to your question, but wrong section to ask it. This would have been a good one for the "101" section.

If the idle is not quite right, have you checked your float levels or synced your carbs? ;) (sorry, couldn't resist)

PeterV

TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Or east coast he needs local help.

Tony K T

TDI
1998 jetta
I haven't checked anything.All I have done is looked for the control adjustment screw.I am in Seabrook,N.H.Where in So. N.H are you?
In N.H.,Tony

jdhunt0

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Since we are on the topic, sort of, is there a way to adjust idle rpm on the MKV with VCDS?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have a 1998 jettd tdi.I can't find the idle control adjustment screw.Can anybody tell me where it is?Is it possible that it has been removed,and the vehicle will still operate?I have a Haynes book that shows everything on diesels,but the screw is no where to be found.
In N.H.,Tony.
Hrm, evidently not. EDC has been around since 1985, TDIs have been around since 1990, and been sold here since 1996. Not exactly "new" technology. Was that Haynes manual written in the '60s? Lots of things have progressed since then. :)

Your manual may be showing information on the AAZ engine, which is a more old-school mechanical control diesel engine available in that car in Canada, but not in the USA.