Mk6 Jetta Horn

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
I'm looking for a louder horn. Last couple of weeks of highway driving makes me wonder if i should have a louder horn. Something that trucks can hear

So has anyone changed thier horn on thier mk6 or any car for that matter. Most of them are two wire hook-up but i'm wondering if the horn is hook to can-bus as well and would i be able to hook up an airhorn or something.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
What makes you think the mk6 is louder? Most large airhorns need a compressor and a tank to work and this takes up a lot of room.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I'm just not sure if can-bus would be ok
There is no horn controller, so I doubt the CAN bus would care. I think that the only possible issue is if the horn draws enough current to blow a fuse. If so, you would need to add a relay with it's own power source. I suspect that the Hella horn would just be a direct replacement. There's only one way to find out.:rolleyes:

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

MoCoBabs

TDI
2003 Jetta
My horn just stopped working. Any thoughts as to what I can try to figure the problem out? Could something have come disconnected and if so, where should I look first? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
I had hella supertones on my MKIII and miss them. The trick is to run them with 12V power directly from the batt, rather than using the thin cables in the factory setup. Quite loud indeed (and no extra compressor, etc needed).

I bought them from Canadian Tire (a number of years ago) special order. They were about $105 + tax at the time.

Brian B

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon - Silver
Someone should pick Wingnuts brain about loud horns. I'm sure he has something in the works for one of those CN Freight train horns:eek:

Nigel, any comments??????

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I'm looking for a louder horn. Last couple of weeks of highway driving makes me wonder if i should have a louder horn. Something that trucks can hear

So has anyone changed thier horn on thier mk6 or any car for that matter. Most of them are two wire hook-up but i'm wondering if the horn is hook to can-bus as well and would i be able to hook up an airhorn or something.

If you are near a truck and NEED a horn, you are too close to that truck.:eek:

Drive like your life depends on it.

Bill

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
Your correct the horn on these are horrible lol...Please do a write up on changing it because i think ill be following suit.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
I switched most of my cars over to this specific model, using existing wiring. http://cgi.ebay.ca/Stebel-Nautilus-...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb28d703f
I had Hellas from CT but they will not last more than 1 winter and the warranty exhanges were a hassle.
Interesting horn. Too bad it's a single tone, but I guess that's fine as I'm sure it's plenty loud enough. My old Hellas lasted one or two winters and then I had to send back to the US for warranty. Yeah, cost me about $10 in shipping, but I got new horns out of it. No issues with the warranty.

With this motorcycle horn, did you install only one? Was it difficult to mount?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Interesting horn. Too bad it's a single tone, but I guess that's fine as I'm sure it's plenty loud enough. My old Hellas lasted one or two winters and then I had to send back to the US for warranty. Yeah, cost me about $10 in shipping, but I got new horns out of it. No issues with the warranty.

With this motorcycle horn, did you install only one? Was it difficult to mount?
Re-read the description, it says:
With a Big Truck high and low tone at the same time, the Stebel Horn eliminates the need for two horns.

Have Fun!

Don

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
If you are near a truck and NEED a horn, you are too close to that truck.:eek:

Drive like your life depends on it.

Bill
Bill, usually it is more like the truck is too close to me. Driving on 401, my life do depends on the car's horn and it has saved me couple time already.
Commander,

I sincerely hope you are never dead right.:cool: What if his/her stereo is turned up too loud, or they are deaf/already dead/distracted/actively trying to kill you?

My BILs' brother quietly died while driving this week.. his passenger took control and stopped the pickup. They were going deer hunting and had just pulled into a field.

I evade now, and honk later. But that is just me...

Seriously, good luck!

Bill

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Bill, usually it is more like the truck is too close to me. Driving on 401, my life do depends on the car's horn and it has saved me couple time already.
I drive 150km each day on the 401 and haven't used my horn. Change your driving style. Get more result by evading than just blasting the horn. By the time you hit the horn, the other driver hears it, then react to it, can be as much as half or even one second.

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
I drive 150km each day on the 401 and haven't used my horn. Change your driving style...
Are you serious ??? This statement makes me think you're either oblivious or the most gentle and accommodating driver ever (which doesn't necessarily mean safe).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
SO the triple airhorn will not fit on the passenger side and the 2011 Jetta has the OEM horn there.

I have to take the bumper out and then i can use the driver side cavity to do the install. I know there is a huge spot in there for it.

Damm these horns are loud!!!! :D

As for statements about horns! Its for alerting ppl! thats why cars have them! i'm not going to put my life at risk so someone else can drive away safe! How many times you had the driver next to you tried changing lines without checking their blind side? Well this horn will cerntainly get their attention!

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
SO the triple airhorn will not fit on the passenger side and the 2011 Jetta has the OEM horn there.

I have to take the bumper out and then i can use the driver side cavity to do the install. I know there is a huge spot in there for it.

Damm these horns are loud!!!! :D

As for statements about horns! Its for alerting ppl! thats why cars have them! i'm not going to put my life at risk so someone else can drive away safe! How many times you had the driver next to you tried changing lines without checking their blind side? Well this horn will cerntainly get their attention!
your last statement is 100% correct! I put louder horns on my motorcycle and air horns in my S-10 specifically for those times when a warning sound was needed. the stock horns on the bike were a joke and I am guessing I used them at least once a day while driving in Waterloo (less often on the highway). I have had to use the horn in the car at least once a day when cars merging into my lane did not look first to see me. If the only reason you're getting them is to be like those tools in the YouTube video, then you might also be a tool :D but I suspect you're not and you just want another tool in your safety arsenal. I say GO FOR IT and report back on your findings, please.

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
Hey mo_focus I say go for it and I will expect full documentation as I have been doing for my trailering mods ... I say it'll be a great mod and depending on how hard or easy it is I may just have to follow suit. I personally would opt for the unit without a compressor as that seems like it would take up alot of valuable real estate and would be noisy.... Thumbs up from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk