San Diego, CA to Chicago, IL

safetywork

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Hi Everyone,

I will be taking a roadtrip from my home in San Diego to Chicago in late October. My TDi is a 2011 JSW with 14k miles. I will be hauling roughly 500lbs of exhibit equipment with me.

I've never made such a trip, I'm seeking advice on equipment, areas to avoid, where to get fuel, where to stay, etc.. I depart on Oct. 24. Thanks.

Feyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
There are two routes... I've done both (from LA) a couple times each.

I can't speak about fuel as I drove gassers at the time(s).

I-40 (southern route) is a cool drive... a little longer perhaps, but better if traveling during the winter months. Note that there is far less to see/do on the southern route, but maybe that's more your thing. Definitely not a whole lot until you get up to Oklahoma so buy fuel when you see a station (especially in NM). Stops I make are Albuquerque, Tulsa, then on to Chicago the third day.. three long'ish days.

I-70/80 (northern route) - Much more scenic (utah/colorado, etc.) Much hillier as you go through the rockies, but very beautiful. If you are driving back at some point in mid-Nov. make sure you check the extended forecast... mountain driving can get scary during sudden snow/ice. Stops are Grand Junction, Omaha, then on Chicago.. two long'ish days and then a nice 8hr jaunt into Chicago.

Maybe you come to Chicago through Colorado... and then go back on I-40 and see it all... :)

Hope your satellite radio is paid up... no matter which way you go, it's a loooooong haul.

Have fun with the trip..!!

safetywork

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Feyd and John,

Thanks for the info! I am concerned about weather as well. I've been checking the weather on a daily basis to identify which to take. I wasn't that concerned about finding diesel (though it did cross my mind) but perhaps I should. Are there "special" equipment I need to have? Do I need chains?

Thanks again for the kind advice.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Last Xmas, we drove from San Antonio back to SD. Took the 4 x 4 because it was winter . Hit snow on I 40 . Saw two dozen SUV spin off the road. I should have gone south to I 10. I didnt like the snow and ice, even with 4x4.

safetywork

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
John, I'm definitely going to take a more southern approach when it's time to come home. But I would like a more direct route to Chicago so it looks like I'll be taking the northern route as suggested by Mapquest. The trip is for business so it'll be a straight drive there then on the way back, I'll take some detours.

Thanks for the tips.

ChiTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
I drive this twice a year and each way is spectacular. Check the winds on the southern route(AZ & NM) and snow/ice (UT & CO) on the northern route. After Grand Junction heading east there is arguably the most beautiful stretch of interstate, the 12 mi through Glenwood Canyon. Plenty of diesel available and the highest elevation should be the Vail Pass. Try to time them appropriately. Good eats at the middle Vail exit, Westside Cafe - breakfast/lunch/dinner all good.

ChiTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
Lots of Moms&Pops places to stay on 70 & I-80. If you plan for Omaha, cross the riiver and stay in Council Bluffs. Exit 5 has the Western Inn and Bluffs Mall for varied food choices. Kearney, NE has an array of good hotels and eats as well as acccess to that archway museum across the interstate. Well worth the hour long tour.

safetywork

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks ChiTDi!!! I'm writing all this down before I leave on Monday. I've been watching the weather channel as well, checking the weather. Things look good so far.