Moog Front and rears from RockAuto

Bilstein TC front and rear

Metalnerd 2" lift

Spacers for front (stacked 2 high)

Winter tire setup is going to be 205/70/15 on stock steelies

My current ride height is stock:

Front sits at an unloaded height of 26.5"

Rear unloaded is 27.75"

Judging by other setups, I should be somewhere in the 29-30" ground to fender clearance correct?

And I just want to verify the Bilstein set part number-VNE4575_BNE2917

G Men 08, so you are using the Metalnerd 2" lift and spacers in the front. Why do you need the spacers and do you have a part number for those? I have the same car as you and want to do the same thing.

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
Who ever has used wagon rear shocks, what is the spacer that comes in the box?

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Can anyone chime in quickly about this,
I have ordered a lot of parts to refresh my suspension.
Bilstein TC sports struts and shocks and all bushing and such.

Anyways, I want to go for a lift and these moog springs originally used are what I wanted.
I tried ordering on amazon.com and they said it won't fit my car.
Should I bypass and order anyways or do you think the part numbers have changed and it is indeed a different shock now. I tried saying its for a jetta not golf and had no luck..
Any opinions?
I've already ordered the other suspensions parts, so I'd like these ordered very soon.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
I decided to just order the "moog rear springs 81055"
And for the fronts I decided the jetta wagon vr6 front struts, 170lbs, I believe I've read that's stiffer than the moog fronts.
I'm hoping to achieve a comfortable lift from this.

Last edited:

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI
1z mtdi dakota, alh jetta ute
so i put these on my car and its great but the back gets a little higher because the springs dont fit all the way into the holder like the stock ones, but i like it, when i turn it into a ute and haul my bike it will be level.
thanks for the info

Last edited:

DanVito

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon, BEW, 242k miles & counting
"...the springs dont fit all the way into the holder like the stock ones..."

By "holder" I assume you mean the spring seats. Are you referring to the upper or lower seat not fitting? On my '04 wagon, the upper was a perfect fit, but the opening of the Moog spring at the bottom was a bit larger than the seat (the factory original springs fit that seat just fine). While the wagon springs are heavier duty, I would expect the seats on the sedan and wagon would be the same.

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI
1z mtdi dakota, alh jetta ute
"...the springs dont fit all the way into the holder like the stock ones..."

By "holder" I assume you mean the spring seats. Are you referring to the upper or lower seat not fitting? On my '04 wagon, the upper was a perfect fit, but the opening of the Moog spring at the bottom was a bit larger than the seat (the factory original springs fit that seat just fine). While the wagon springs are heavier duty, I would expect the seats on the sedan and wagon would be the same.
on the bottom of the moog the springs were oval instead of round like the stock jetta ones they fit they're just not all the way down when installed but I need to check it now that i have driven it.

never mind since driving it there just like the factory, but they lifted the front 1.5" and the rear 2" on my jetta

Last edited:

Celco

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 4dr ALH 5-speed
I too plan on doing the suspension beef up too soon. My 02 Golf has been showing its bagged out worn out suspension even more lately. Been driving down the highway and getting side to side shimmy from the bounce.
I have been slowly amassing upgrades for everything on the front and plan on purchasing the big stuff soon. My dad is a machinist so I plan on having him turn me new solid bushings from bronze stock he has at the shop.

Plans for parts-
-mk1 TT Steering rack (2.5 lock to lock turning) +have
-mk1 TT LCA with solid bushings +have
-mk1 TT Spindles +have
-mk1 TT Front Sway +have
-Blausport Dampers (VR6 rear/TT fronts with swaybar links)
-Solid subframe bushings
-Solid steering rack bracket
-2" Lift kit
-VR6/1.8t caliper brackets (288mm rotors)
-mk1 TT calipers +have
-MOOG front and rear springs
-Poly strut mounts, rear axle bush, sway bar
-All new ball joints and tie rods

Looking forward to not getting random wiggles when driving now.

Question on the lifting of the fronts. What is the deal with the spacers on the fronts? I have seen the rear lifts and understand how those sit under the spring on the perch... but the fronts? Its just a small spacer sandwiched between the mounting plate?

Strut>Spring>Top Plate>Bearing>Rubber Mount>Nut>"into car">Top Cup>Top Nut

Where do the spacers go? I can only guess...
Strut>Spring>Top Plate>spacers>Bearing>Rubber Mount>Nut>"into car">Top Cup>Top Nut

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
Yes, that is where they go.
Here's a thread I started to report on the Evolution 1" lift kit I put on my New Beetle. It has photos of the spacers in the front, if that would help:

Evolution lift kit on NB - scraping cured

I hired a guy off Craigslist to install the lift kit and the new Koni Yellows. When will I ever learn that this saves me neither time nor money? Anyway, the guy was not very bright, and he argued with me about the front spacers, saying that it would cause the spring to be compressed an extra inch and make my ride very stiff.

Last edited:

professorxjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI 5spd w/ 400k
So after watching this thread and doing some research I finally got around to getting my suspension refreshed. Here's what I went with:
Bilstein TC Sport strut/shocks
Jetta Wagon Suplex springs w/ new mounts, bump stops and bolt kit
4 (2 per side) strut spacers to make the front height match the rear

Over all I am extremely pleased with how it turned out. My older suspension was pushing 300K miles and definitely needed a refresh. I gained about 2.5 inches of clearance and planning to put on some 205 or maybe 215 tires for a little more. I can definitely notice a difference driving the familiar farm roads and such. Not nearly as much grinding on the skid plate. BUT, the best part is the ride; it rides like a DREAM!! Is it due to having almost 300K on a suspension and just getting new stuff, or is it due to the Bilstein's? I can't say for certain but it is an incredible ride, very smooth and responsive. I am incredibly happy with how it turned out.

Thorne

Veteran Member
I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on the Koni STR.T set from idparts in comparison to buying the Bilstein TC shocks and struts individually. The Bilsteins are a bit more, but idparts mentions that the Koni STR.T is rated for the heavy springs.

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36_63&products_id=1155 <- Koni STR.T kit

http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36_64&products_id=547 <- Bilstein TC strut
http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36_65&products_id=519 <- Bilstein rear shock

Last edited:

guitarsail

TDI
2001 Jetta
I'm torn between the Billy TC Sports and the Koni STR T's. I'm doing the Moog springs but can not for the life of me decide on which dampener. I'd like a better firmer ride, but don't want to shake my fillings loose on any bumps. Any recomendation between the two?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I just installed the TC Sports on my Beetle with new springs and 2" lift. The ride isn't nearly that harsh. Firm but not jarring at all.

guitarsail

TDI
2001 Jetta
I just installed the TC Sports on my Beetle with new springs and 2" lift. The ride isn't nearly that harsh. Firm but not jarring at all.
Good to hear, I was leaning towards the TC Sports with the Moog springs. I just don't want to jarr apart my 180k miles Jetta any sooner that I have to, haha. But bumps right now will smack the skid plate so its a high pucker factor running around town with shot dampers. :eek:

How'd you get 2inches of lift?

Bengoshi2000

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf (0M1)
Just Ordered Parts

Cold weather and my failing passenger side strut mount have not played well together. Sounds like the strut is just flopping around in there. The strut itself is bad and I've finally cobbled together the $$ to do the work.

With my time off over Christmas I'm going to be doing this upgrade (Wagon rear springs/VR6 fronts but with Bilstein TCs and 85 durometer strut mounts). I'm also doing the LBJs, sway bar bushings and end links.

The only question I have is regarding the rear axle beam bushings. Are these easier to replace when doing the rear shocks/springs? If so, I'll do those as well.

mobetta

TDI
01 Golf, 04 Jetta wagon
I just wrapped up my golf suspension refresh(280K+ miles)

went with the MOOG springs from Rock Auto
Bilstein comfprts from IDparts

Ride is firm, but comfortable. Very much improved over the wallowing in the mud feel of the worn out suspension.
It is not bone jarring like the BIL's lowered mk iv jetta- can't stand riding in that thing.

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
Was it this forum or another where someone put Tiguan lowering springs on their Jetta? Seemed like a good idea to add a bit of lift without an actual lift kit.

guitarsail

TDI
2001 Jetta
Just wrapped up the refresh. Did full Billy TC sport shocks, Moog VR6 front springs, left the rear springs alone. All new bushings bolts and what not. Also did the full new A-Arms with Audi TT bushings. Rides like a dream. Firm but not jarring the car apart. Feels sporty again.

Bengoshi2000

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf (0M1)
Over the last two days I installed the following:

-Billy TC struts & shocks
-Moog VR6 front & Moog Wagon rear springs
-034 Motorsports strut mounts (new bearings, etc)
-new ball joints, endlinks and swaybar bushings

Even though the car only has 105,000 miles on it, both struts and shocks were done for. I wonder how long I've been riding on the springs alone. The strut mounts had begun to push up through the tower opening.

I love the increased ride height and I'm VERY impressed with the improvement in handling. My thanks to those on this thread whose write-ups convinced me to do this!

It'd be a perfect car (but for the 01m)...

Worst part of the entire job? The d*mn sway bar bushings. I very nearly lost my religion... twice.

Last edited:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Anyone Notice the Extra Coils?

I've had the Moog VR6 front springs on my car for a few years now and I am taking them off and installing a set of Suplex Jetta Wagon VR6 front springs: http://www.idparts.com/jetta-wagon-vr6-front-springs-pair-p-4368.html

I have to replace the strut bearings anyway and I noticed that the Moog springs may have too many coils which are binding against each other. Check out the damage between coils in this picture:

I took a side long picture so that you can count the coils and see how close they are together after a few years on the car. I count SEVEN large coils:

Here are the new Suplex Jetta Wagon VR6 springs. I count only FIVE large coils which are similar to stock:

I am hoping that these springs will have way more space between coils when installed yet also give slightly more lift since they are made to the heaviest stock standard and are from good old Germany.

A friend of mine ordered cheap complete struts for the back of his Nissan Sentra and we noticed those springs had extra coils also. Are the extra coils something that manufacturers add to make their products from "cheaper" materials? Anyone else noticed this?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Doesn't seem right I'm running moogs ft and rr with bilstein sports and drive the ***** hard no problems and 100k miles.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Take a pic of the new springs after being compressed and full weight of car on them to see difference.