Hot Start Issue

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
Car is a 2005 MKIV PD Jetta. After prolonged periods of driving, especially when the air temp is high, I experience long crank times (about 3 to 4 seconds) to start the engine if I've stopped for something and get back in to turn on the car.

I've tested the lift pump recently, it works. I have no CEL/codes, and the car starts right up instanly in the morning, with the air temp cool or hot.

Could it be a MAF issue? It has the same one since new, now at about 164,000 miles. I don't think there are any air/fuel leaks as the car isn't leaking fuel that I can tell.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
likely not your MAF. check for large air bubbles in fuel line, retarded timing

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
FF was changed with the last oil change about 9,000 miles ago. I don't think it's the fuel filter - but maybe?

Why would it start quickly after sitting over night and cool. Once hot, it's harder to restart.

The lift pump seems to be good, I unhooked a fuel line a few months ago, turned the key and let fuel pour into a jar. so the pump was working. I tested it a few months ago. Maybe it's intermittant, and on its way out.

But still, why only when the engine is hot, would it be harder to start?

motorinar

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon BEW
had the same problem, it was in the software. I got the car chiped with the q-loader and got rid of the problem. Rocket chip will solve it to.