NB headlights

mrpat2

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2001 green, 1999 beetle tdi blue
Anybody have advice for upgrading the stock H1 bulbs in the NB? I have been looking for an LED H1 but so far havent found one that will fit under the cover. Theres not much room, maybe less than an inch or so. Ive tried the Night breakers but still its hard to see at night. This is a stock 1999 NB with factory headlights, not HID or anything.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
No luck so I went with a retro fit to hid using the morimoto mini h1 v7 projectors in place of the low beam Valeo and retaining the stock headlights. Took some work but it turned out awesome. Very doable if the lenses are still clear. In fact one cannot even tell that I have HID by looking at the headlights.

Last edited:

mrpat2

Veteran Member
TDI
So take the HL apart and replace the projector assy with the morimoto? Where did you put the ballast? and which bulb/lumens/color temp?
Thanks

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
-Ballast mounts outside housing (zipped tied)

-Stick to 5000K color unless you are a kid (and want blueish, then 6000K. I actually returned my 6000K because they looked cheesy and Ebay-like. The 5000K from theretrofitsource looked like a 80K Mercedes stock HID lights, the 6000K-like a Honda Civic....)

My output on my theretrofitsource bi-xenon retrofit has awesome output and looks like a high-end luxury car's lights...

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
I did two bugs and modified the cage that the original halogen projector mounted in and the mini projector was perfectly positioned and totally adjustable using the stock adjusters. One had to be very careful removing the cage from the adjuster as not to break the plastic mounts. Ballast, igniters, and relays are zip tied outside the headlight housing where ever you can find room.
I went 4300k I believe and 35w bulbs. Also with the H1 bulbs, one might have to shift the bulb slightly in the housing in order to center the focus of the light in the sweet spot of the cutoff.
As vincenzaV notes, the light is awesome and looks high end. Now wishing I had taken some pics of what I did.

Last edited:

mrpat2

Veteran Member
TDI
well I think Im going with the morimoto 2 stroke h1 led. The retrofit source has these rubber extensions that I can mount to the rear cap of the housing. That solves the depth issue, just need to make sure that there is some room behind the headlight itself next.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I found these on ebay with LED bulbs (also know as Spyder). They have the Euro look city light LED's around the edge and the High and Low beams are coming from the same bulb behind the large projector.

The kit plugs right in and quality/fit is pretty good. I had to wire the city light LED's to the parking lights and those are now my DRL's (I also have a Euro switch) and disabled DRL's so I can control them with the switch.