Dash safe adhesive remover?

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Automatic Sedan
Can anyone recommend an adhesive remover for the MK4 Jetta dash? It looks like the PO never took it off.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe IF I remember reading the label it states not to use on vinyl or rubber. Of course the MK4 dash seems more like foam. I suppose if I can't find a safe remover, I can get another dash. :(

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Mineral spirits/paint thinner but not anything stronger solvent than that w/o testing. I've never had mineral spirits damage any interior plastics.
Lacquer thinner, MEK, acetone, toluene etc can melt some plastic materials and/or at least make a mess of the finish or color.

frank1

TDI
03 Jetta wagon TDI and 01 Jetta sedan TDI
If it's not too deep ,like not in the pattern, maybe try some, SEM brand, interior paint to see if it will cover it up.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I have used GooGone on the MkIV before without problems - but do test in a small area first!

DO NOT use "Goof Off" -- they're similar in name but the latter WILL strip nearly anything, which is NOT what you want.

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
I have used GooGone on the MkIV before without problems - but do test in a small area first!

DO NOT use "Goof Off" -- they're similar in name but the latter WILL strip nearly anything, which is NOT what you want.

GooGone didn't do anything except make that area feel smoother. I even went further than blotting, I soaked it, nada. Adhesive is still there. Looks like a replacement dash is in my future.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Try some WD40. It actually works for a wide variety of things, and should not harm the dash.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
"Goof off" ..walmart... Test a small section BEFORE to get into it.But try the WD-40 first...if that doesn't do it...the "Goof off" will. Just remenber.....less is best, in these situations.

Last edited:

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
Try some WD40. It actually works for a wide variety of things, and should not harm the dash.
No go on WD40 or Liquid Wrench. Tried some Rain-X Bug and Tar remover and it got most of the surface adhesive off. But, there is still more there, must have been baked in.

Looks like replacement dash at this point. What is the safest way to remove and reinstall the VIN plate?

oilhammer

TDI
You can order a new VIN tag, special order obviously, they are about $100 and get shipped directly to your dealer's rep and get hand delivered... an extra level of security involved for obvious reasons.

Call your local dealer and ask for specifics.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
What about using rubbing alcohol? That’s what I use to clean interior items on my mk4. Caution though, rubbing alcohol does dissolve the old sticky soft touch stuff.

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
You can order a new VIN tag, special order obviously, they are about $100 and get shipped directly to your dealer's rep and get hand delivered... an extra level of security involved for obvious reasons.

Call your local dealer and ask for specifics.
Why not just transplant it? Or did VW engineers have it self destruct once removed from the dash? [emoji14]

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
What about using rubbing alcohol? That’s what I use to clean interior items on my mk4. Caution though, rubbing alcohol does dissolve the old sticky soft touch stuff.
No go, used Isopropyl Alcohol. The Rain-X Bug and Tar remover did the best job. May try a second round when I get a chance.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pure-Citrus-4-oz-Orange-Air-Freshener-NA222/202528023

Try that stuff if needed. Worked for a bowling alley and this is what we used for the toughest spots. Its better than googone, its natural.

But, as stated several times, test in a hidden spot. This stuff in particular will make a dixie cup soft and gooey.
This is my new go to for any adhesive removal or anything similar.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pure-Citrus-4-oz-Orange-Air-Freshener-NA222/202528023

Try that stuff if needed. Worked for a bowling alley and this is what we used for the toughest spots. Its better than googone, its natural.

But, as stated several times, test in a hidden spot. This stuff in particular will make a dixie cup soft and gooey.
This is my new go to for any adhesive removal or anything similar.

I tried using some of that orange pumice used for removing oil from your hands.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
I tried using some of that orange pumice used for removing oil from your hands.
I suggest trying this particular *literally, THAT brand* product, labeled as an air freshener. World's different than the one you tried. This will make your hands raw/sensitive if you were to spray it on and lather it around.
It is amazing stuff.
So, if i think of it tomorrow, I'll test it on my dash and make sure it doesnt effect the coating, and if it does not harm the dash i am willing to bet it'll work. Ill let you know, if youre still needing something.

Adhesive left over from the bar code, the one you scrub and scrub under water and soap and cant get it off; this stuff, with a small squirt, practically instantly wipes away. Maybe a second shot afterward. Just an example.

At the alley we testing a ton of different products and this was by far the best, and found by accident.

Last edited:

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
I suggest trying this particular *literally, THAT brand* product, labeled as an air freshener. World's different than the one you tried. This will make your hands raw/sensitive if you were to spray it on and lather it around.
It is amazing stuff.
So, if i think of it tomorrow, I'll test it on my dash and make sure it doesnt effect the coating, and if it does not harm the dash i am willing to bet it'll work. Ill let you know, if youre still needing something.

Adhesive left over from the bar code, the one you scrub and scrub under water and soap and cant get it off; this stuff, with a small squirt, practically instantly wipes away. Maybe a second shot afterward. Just an example.

At the alley we testing a ton of different products and this was by far the best, and found by accident.

Hi ItAintRodKnock, did you get a chance to test that product on the dash?

oilhammer

TDI
Why not just transplant it? Or did VW engineers have it self destruct once removed from the dash? [emoji14]

It is an adhesive sticker that is specifically designed to do exactly that: come apart if you try to remove it. Same as the VIN plate on the door. Same as most all modern cars. This is done on purpose to prevent the possibility of people swapping VINs like was done commonly in the old days with riveted on metal tags. Hence the extra layer of security if you order one of these tags, or a key for your car, based just off the VIN.

I suppose you could try to get it off intact. I suppose if you put a used dash in you could just remove the tag and have it vacant in your car, not sure if it would be a legal headache at some point or not. Our inspection program here requires the VIN tag in the dash be photographed. But if it is not there, we don't fail it, I have no idea what happens if that photo is left out after it gets uploaded. Maybe some red flag somewhere? Who knows.

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
It is an adhesive sticker that is specifically designed to do exactly that: come apart if you try to remove it. Same as the VIN plate on the door. Same as most all modern cars. This is done on purpose to prevent the possibility of people swapping VINs like was done commonly in the old days with riveted on metal tags. Hence the extra layer of security if you order one of these tags, or a key for your car, based just off the VIN.

I suppose you could try to get it off intact. I suppose if you put a used dash in you could just remove the tag and have it vacant in your car, not sure if it would be a legal headache at some point or not. Our inspection program here requires the VIN tag in the dash be photographed. But if it is not there, we don't fail it, I have no idea what happens if that photo is left out after it gets uploaded. Maybe some red flag somewhere? Who knows.
I didn't realize it was a sticker, I thought it was engraved metal.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Just FYI the windshield installer removed the VIN plate accidentally when installing a WS on my wife's Passat.

It can be done, but not sure how it would work if you were trying to do it.

Get the Goo Gone back out and soak it for a while, also add in some manual scrubbing and it'll come off. I would start with plain old paper towels or an old toothbrush and work up to stronger scrubbers. I keep the old "worn out" green scrubbing pads for this purpose (may scratch the dash material so be very careful).

I would try just about anything before changing out the dash.

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
I just picked up some Automotive Goof Off and hopefully that will work. Will give it a try tonight.

Below is what the spot looks like at the moment.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Hi ItAintRodKnock, did you get a chance to test that product on the dash?

tried it, and it took of the surfwax from my dash that no other product(including the wax remover"The Pickle") looks like there is no harm. The dash material did not start to become gummy, like a solo cup does.

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
tried it, and it took of the surfwax from my dash that no other product(including the wax remover"The Pickle") looks like there is no harm. The dash material did not start to become gummy, like a solo cup does.
Good to know. Here is the progress of the Automotive Goof Off.

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
It looks like the Automotive Goof Off did more harm than good. It looks like it has faded other areas of the dash.

moparvwfrak

TDI
02 Jetta TDI, 99 MK4 Jetta TDI (parts), 99 mk4 Jetta gasser
paint it. a dash swap is more headache than its worth. ive done it on a B3 and it was no fun. the only reason i did mine was the dash was literally missing pieces. i haave used the duplicolor vinyl paint on my old RX7 and it worked beautifully on the console and door panels.

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
paint it. a dash swap is more headache than its worth. ive done it on a B3 and it was no fun. the only reason i did mine was the dash was literally missing pieces. i haave used the duplicolor vinyl paint on my old RX7 and it worked beautifully on the console and door panels.
But, what paint is compatible with the MK4 Jetta dash?