2006 brm camshaft replacement help

Nate660

TDI
2000 Jetta 331k
I just ordered the camshaft kit for my car. I got a few questions on the install

I’m positive I have the mechanically ability to change it out. I’m just concerned on how to set the timing belt back in the right place. Can I just mark the belt and Pully on both crank and camshaft and zip tie it together on the cam gear and just bolt it back up that way

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
Dear sir.
You are about to be flamed by the veteran members for your attempt at setting time using the "mark and pray" method.
You can search in numerous threads why this method seldom works.
Simply put, diesel engines have a very narrow tdc because of the high compression ratio, making the tdc setting very difficult by marking pulleys. Also, you need to set your torsion adjustment once you are done installing the tb.

There are several indexing tool kits available cheaply in flea bay and also available for rent from different vendors.
Trust me. The use of these tools (and also vag com) will make your life easier.

(I did my cam swap on my pd)

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I wouldn't say flamed, more like "thoughtfully nudged in the correct direction, so that your engine doesn't suffer catastrophic failure"
:D
Seriously though - buy the holding tools (cheaply if need be) and set the timing belt position and tension correctly.
When was the last time the belt was changed?

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Nate,

1. Where did the cam come from?
2. Do you have any mechanical skills?
3. How often do you want to do a cam replacement?
4. Do you know there are specialized tools for the job and we loan them?
5. Do you know there is more to the kit than just a cam?

I'd suggest you call me. We have been modifying these cam kits for about 10 years, with great success. Don't wing it.

Although the write up WE UNINTENTIONALLY PROVIDED to myturbodiesel is out there and does give some hints, they did not get it entirely right. I would suggest you do not depend on that video as the end all and be all.

We have the correct methods that keeps you from making some real bonehead mistakes that can cost you.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
This guy knows what he is talking about, I am using his products. Also the advice provided by the other members that replied to this post is valuable.

Nate,

I'd suggest you call me. We have been modifying these cam kits for about 10 years, with great success. Don't wing it.

Although the write up WE UNINTENTIONALLY PROVIDED to myturbodiesel is out there and does give some hints, they did not get it entirely right. I would suggest you do not depend on that video as the end all and be all.

We have the correct methods that keeps you from making some real bonehead mistakes that can cost you.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
I'm also going to be replacing my CAM in the next couple weeks. Just got all the parts in.

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Did mine cam and belt 10k ago just take it slow and easy and follow the information that is out there. I found it easy if you do the research before you start. good luck

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Nate,

Good sales pitch. OP, Frank is not the end all be all. I've yet to see any data on his cams reliability. Make your own decision.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Good sales pitch. OP, Frank is not the end all be all. I've yet to see any data on his cams reliability. Make your own decision.
It is true that Franks products are not all that is out there. But it is also true that Frank is much more an asset to the community than he is a salesman. I’ve spoke with him a few times and he is one of the few people I’ve ever spoke with in any industry that can out talk me on the phone. A salesman is short and acts like “Are you going to buy something or what.” My experience with Frank is that he is a tru enthusiast and enjoys contributing to the community.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
It is true that Franks products are not all that is out there. But it is also true that Frank is much more an asset to the community than he is a salesman. I’ve spoke with him a few times and he is one of the few people I’ve ever spoke with in any industry that can out talk me on the phone. A salesman is short and acts like “Are you going to buy something or what.” My experience with Frank is that he is a tru enthusiast and enjoys contributing to the community.
I totally agree with you. I've met Frank in person, he is a great guy. He also took the time (45 minutes over phone) to give me directions in regard to the installation of his camshaft. His camshaft is being doing just fine in my engine for the past 100k, and counting.

Nate660

TDI
2000 Jetta 331k
Just letting you guys know I finished up the project starts and runs just fine drove it 200 miles today and changed the oil. No more lope in the intake noise. Proved all you 200 dollar timing tool mechanics wrong.... so If anyone wonders if you can do it without them yes it most certainly is possible

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
Just letting you guys know I finished up the project starts and runs just fine drove it 200 miles today and changed the oil. No more lope in the intake noise. Proved all you 200 dollar timing tool mechanics wrong.... so If anyone wonders if you can do it without them yes it most certainly is possible
Certainly possible, as you say. It all depends on the amount of risk one is willing to take. Taking in consideration the potential damage and repairing costs if something goes wrong by using the mark and pray method..... I would rather invest in a set of timing belt tools.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
FWIW you didn’t prove sh**. Just because it runs doesn’t mean that it’s done correctly as it would be right the right tools.

Nate660

TDI
2000 Jetta 331k
FWIW you didn’t prove sh**. Just because it runs doesn’t mean that it’s done correctly as it would be right the right tools.
Matter of fact smarta** it is done right. I own a 2004 evo 8 had the block pulled out because of a connecting rod thrown out and put my head on a new short block and installed it all and had it back in and running. I’m a more of torque down everything and attention to detail. Ignorant people like you are the reason people don’t like posting on forums. Hop off this post with useless nonsense

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
The procedures outlined for cam & tb replacement were created by the desgner of the engine.
This procedure target is accuracy, repeatability and productivity (timewise) under a foolproof focus.
They require the use of specific tools that in the end help guarantee a good result. They make life easier.

This is because among the various things that can go wrong include the destruction of the engine.
Can it be done in a diferent way? Of course. But for one that had success there are 10+ who failed.

Last edited:

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I don't think you know anything about me, narongc. Although I do 'pitch' my own products, the ones who own my products pitch them more than I do. I consider reputation important and it shows in my product line. There are two mantras that if you apply them, you eliminate the question marks for sub-par workmanship.

"Do it once and do it right"
"Build it like your gonna buy it"

The small proof we have is over 2000 cam kits sold, with over 350 personally installed. We have a grand total of 7 failures, 4 from operator error (loss of oil or water) and those have been returned to service. Of the three remaining cams, one was grenaded racing, one used 507.00 5-30 oil(wrong stuff) for 234,000 miles and only one, we have no good reason it failed.

We designed many facets of the cam kit, including the reusable bolts, the cam bearing mod, our own cam design and with a little help from our friends, the method to set torsion value.

It is very correct to say I am actually in a 'hobby gone wild' business, that I did for my own benefit before I performed as a business. We have a penchant for getting it right and pulling out all the stops to tweak improvements until we can't find any more.

Nate 660: Our interest in getting the right parts and the right service is not a point of argument. I certainly find the 'paint and pray' method has one big problem. It's harder to do. That's all. We loan the tools and it makes the job not only easier, but safer. Also, if you were to listen to someone like me, who not only builds the parts, but has many improved methods for installation, you would be better for it. I know where all the pitfalls are.

Even after you have the belt into position, you still have to set the torsion value and that is not guess work. That requires the use of the VCDS or equivalent. Your car may run, but in order to get it to run at peak efficiency, there are three values to set in the engine module. 1) torsion value in block 4, 2) liter per hour fuel usage in block 15 and 3) injector balance in block 13.

These three values, which you cannot possibly set by guessing, give you the parameters to get the highest fuel economy and injector balance numbers for your engine. There is no 'one number' that is correct for torsion value (cam to timing belt position), but a movement as small as .5+/- can make 4 mpg difference.

So, if you prefer to get the best out of your engine, it will pay you to learn what I know.

The next thing is the cam itself. We designed a cam that adds $400 to the cost of rebuilding the PD motor, with the purpose of not doing it again any time soon. We have a LOT of people that have exceeded 250,000 additional miles and say it looks like it's still breaking in. Our mileage king at the moment is 440,000 additional miles.

I am not going to give you grief for using your imagination to get the job done, but we also loan the tools, so forget $200(some of those tools are unnecessary), it's more like $30 loaner fee and well worth the cost.

Next thing... wouldn't you like to know how to do the job without removing the engine mounts and having to support the engine with a support or jack? We developed that idea, too. It makes the job safer, cheaper and quicker.

If you installed one of the many stock aftermarket cams, it is likely that your life-expectancy will be shorter than you would hope for. I recommend you check for galling on the base circle of the cam lobes in 25,000 miles and if it makes it that far, again at 50,000 miles. That is the first indicator of the cam wearing out. Too many fail to make 100,000, which is a shame.

And don't bite on the baloney about 'billet'. Virtually every single cam sold today, Febi, Estes, Kolbenschmidt, Estas, AMC(Although a poor copy) and several more, are the same billet design. There is one reason they are all billet: It's cheaper to build and as effective as a cast steel cam.

I wish you good luck with your build, but you do need to follow some good advice. It will help you.

For the less fluent: If your point requires asterisks, you don't have a very good argument.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make them drink. In fact, a lot of times when you try, you realize that horse you've been leading is just an ass. :rolleyes:

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have encountered a mark and pray once on a Rover diesel. After I fixed the timing it started first time without pressing the gas 10 times. You should at least check torsion values on these. Do it right or don't do it.