Going to have high mileage.....

FLPara407

TDI
2013 golf
Have been reading a lot on the forum here, lots of high mileage vehicles. High mileage and the TDI reputation is what drew me too them. What if anything would you be doing to your vehicle outside of regular matainence, if you will be driving 50-60 thousand miles per year. My commute to work is 500+ once or twice a week. Moving isn't an option....:rolleyes: My Golf is 2 weeks old and already has 2500 on it. I must say I'm loving this car.:cool:

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Have been reading a lot on the forum here, lots of high mileage vehicles. High mileage and the TDI reputation is what drew me too them. What if anything would you be doing to your vehicle outside of regular matainence, if you will be driving 50-60 thousand miles per year. My commute to work is 500+ once or twice a week. Moving isn't an option....:rolleyes: My Golf is 2 weeks old and already has 2500 on it. I must say I'm loving this car.:cool:
Mmm, nothing? :D Get a big SD card full of MP3s?

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
fold your side mirrors in for better MPG's :) :) :)
but otherwise do nothing, your situation is ideal for this vehicle

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
That's nothing. My commute is a little over 200 miles round trip a day. I travel from PA to NYC 5 days a week. I've had my car for approximately 10 months now and have over 30k on the odometer. Welcome to the club. :D

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
This is why TDI's exist! Welcome and have fun doing all that driving. I know I would.

soulflyer

TDI
Sold: 2010 GSW Highline DSG
yep, welcome to the club, got 181k km in 2 1/2 years... Once my OEM tires were gone i replaced them with tires that have the highest mileage warranty.. in my case Goodyear Assurance ComfortTred Touring. They come with a 130k km warranty....
and yes, just paid 1300 CAD for timing belt and DSG oil change .... and that was with 15% i.e. they covered the Quebec tax....

eparker202

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible 6MT TDI
If the majority of driving is highway mileage then you will want to do something to protect you front bumper, hood, and front quarter panels. I have 32k miles and the rock chucks are really showing up (I am also super picky :). The darker your paint the easier it will show. I recommend a clear skin. And dont forget to wax!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If the majority of driving is highway mileage then you will want to do something to protect you front bumper, hood, and front quarter panels. I have 32k miles and the rock chucks are really showing up (I am also super picky :). The darker your paint the easier it will show. I recommend a clear skin. And dont forget to wax!
Or just don't drive like your from Mass and leave yourself the proper distance.

There's no need to be 10 feet behind the car infront of you on 93 or 101.

eparker202

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible 6MT TDI
Or just don't drive like your from Mass and leave yourself the proper distance.

There's no need to be 10 feet behind the car infront of you on 93 or 101.
stupid m*******s. Anyways, I think the majority of my issues are from all the 93 construction from exit 1 to exit 5. I think it is also why for the first time in my life I have had rail dust on my cars.

allevil

TDI
2012 Golf, TDI, 6MT, 2dr, Silver, Tech package.
I'm straight North of you, in Sioux City!

I got a '12 at the end of June, I have 13,000 on mine already. My driving is leisure and travel AFTER my work week. I

I plan on putting a few thousand miles on, over the Thanksgiving break.

(I tried to buy at Performance in Omaha, Great Guys, terrible financing)

bmatt

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
I understand! I drive about 1000 miles per week or more. My daily commute is 2 hours 1 way and I cannot move (military has us tied down).
I would suggest lots of music and make sure your phone is synced so you can have conversations hands free.
My 2011 JSW TDI just broke 50k last week. I have just done routine maintenance and sometimes add PowerService to the tank of diesel.
Sadly, my car was T-boned in an accident yesterday and I may not get her back.

Happy Driving!

bmatt

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
P.S, I would suggest getting a clear 3M bra. I had one put on and it definitely helps with rock chips.

jni3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 sportwagen tdi / 2012 golf tdi
I understand! I drive about 1000 miles per week or more. My daily commute is 2 hours 1 way and I cannot move (military has us tied down).
I would suggest lots of music and make sure your phone is synced so you can have conversations hands free.
My 2011 JSW TDI just broke 50k last week. I have just done routine maintenance and sometimes add PowerService to the tank of diesel.
Sadly, my car was T-boned in an accident yesterday and I may not get her back.

Happy Driving!
how does the military have you tied down that you have to drive four hours a day?

ss~zoso~ss

Veteran Member
TDI
2010-Jetta-TDI-DSG-Salsa Red
maybe a spouse in the military....

And to the OP, I also recommend getting a few extra HPFPs to keep in the trunk.....

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Just stay on top of reg maintenance, and plan ahead for new tires good luck

TDIL

TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG Tech Package
Glad to know I'm not the only one with a ridiculous commute. I'm at 2 hours each way if I drive vs. taking the train (but about an hour of that is stop and go). Just rolled over 16k on my 2012 Golf that I bought new in early May. I've done nothing other than all recommended maintenance and have had no problems. The car really is great so far, way more fun to drive than expected. I struggle to match the estimated highway mileage, but I probably drive differently than the test pattern. Enjoy your new Golf!

Last edited: