Rmt 100+

JohnnyTDR

TDI
'89 Transporter DoKa Syncro
I bought one from ECS last year and recently got around to TRY to install it...

#ECScrewed

What a PITA it's been to try to muddle through the non-existent/insufficient installation instructions/documentation... If I don't find a solution soon, I may put it up for sale and try to forget I even tried.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

#ECScrewed

What a PITA it's been to try to muddle through the non-existent/insufficient installation instructions/documentation... If I don't find a solution soon, I may put it up for sale and try to forget I even tried.
What year are you putting it into?

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Has anyone installed one of these in an 04 or 05 Jetta? ECS Tuning has them: http://tinyurl.com/lv8r7ea

There's also this radio with Bluetooth, Aux in, etc.

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/industry_news/article_2665.shtml

I did a lot of reading on both of them...there are quite a few threads on here if you search for them. There were enough complaints about them that turned me off, and of course the price...but they do look nice.

I wanted to keep a stock looking radio, but I finally gave in and bought a Kenwood single DIN unit.

JohnnyTDR

TDI
What year are you putting it into?
Either an '03 W8 6spd Wagon or an '05 GLS TDI Wagon.

I did a lot of reading on both of them...there are quite a few threads on here if you search for them. There were enough complaints about them that turned me off, and of course the price...but they do look nice.
IstVWParts has little/no installation/DIY help either...

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"

I wanted to keep a stock looking radio, but I finally gave in and bought a Kenwood single DIN unit.
Nice, but too much shiny bits. Also, it is just an earlier version of the RMT 100+ and has the same drawback for me: disables the steering wheel controls.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"

#ECScrewed

Have you tried following the removal/install instructions in the Bentley Service Manual? It is in Section 9, Electrical System.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Either an '03 W8 6spd Wagon or an '05 GLS TDI Wagon.
IstVWParts has little/no installation/DIY help either...
Vortex forum has a writeup. I thought those radio's were plug and play for Canbus cars. The older 00 and back needed adapters.

MojoDiesel

TDI
2005 Golf TDI
RMT 100+ Manual source?

I bought an RMT 100+ from ECS and after hours of internet research, finally figured out the wiring. You have to move wires in the “plug and play” harness the ECS sells for it - for use in a Mark 4 Monsoon system. Finally used the instructions for a 300 type and crossed my fingers. Needed a manual for the unit to ensure the wiring was correct and still can’t find one. Anyone know a source for a manual?

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I bought an RMT 100+ from ECS and after hours of internet research, finally figured out the wiring. You have to move wires in the “plug and play” harness the ECS sells for it - for use in a Mark 4 Monsoon system. Finally used the instructions for a 300 type and crossed my fingers. Needed a manual for the unit to ensure the wiring was correct and still can’t find one. Anyone know a source for a manual?

If I remember correct, there is no manual for the RMT-100. But sounds like you are on the right track for install.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
I have a pdf owners manual for an RMT-100. If you send me a PM I'll email it to you. However, it doesn't have any wiring diagrams in it. The RMT 100 connects just like any non canbus MK4 radio, and I do have a wiring diagram for that I can send as well. If you have a double DIN radio you will have a bit or rewiring to make it work. Monsoon adds another layer of complexity that you will have to sort out. I can't help with that one. BTW, I have a RMT100 I'll be listing for sale in the classifieds soon.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
When I replaced my Monsoon I watched BestBuy clearance until I found a Kenwood with all the bells I wanted.
Radio, GPS, SAT (optional add-on) Cel phone & such.
I think it can adapt to the remote controls which I do not have.
With the missing parts I bought it was still under 1/2 the original price..
I ran new speaker wires to the 4 speakers to have real wires, not the VW gauge. :(
Also ran new power, ground, and light so basically I did not use any adapter cables other then the antenna adapter / power injector (for the antenna)

JohnnyTDR

TDI
Finally got around to installing my RMT100+ into my '05 TDI. I "stumbled" into a better adapter solution in a thread on the B5 Owners Group on Facebook. The biggest problem I encountered was my old Monsoon HU had a tab that was "impacted" behind the retention flange/frame. I need to recheck the connection to the IP lighting dimmer wire, but everything else seems to work properly.