What model TDI with DI in Red?

daBooj

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, could only find silver
oh, probably a GL or GLS. The owner may have it chipped and may have put some race injecters in or other mods to give it more power, or not.

In Europe the red letters are given for bump ups in power. They have three different engines, the 115, 130, and the 150, I believe. With more power, more red letters. Here, we just buy the red letters and put them on to look special.

Mike UK

TDI
Glof TDi ( 115 ) Anthracite
In the UK it seems that the red letters do tie in with the engine power.

Red I = 100 ( Maybe 110 Also )

But then the Red D and Red I are on the 115 130 and 150 here.

I also saw a car with Red T Red D and RED i so who knows what that is about. I bet one of you guys does. ;)

I was told by a VW dealer over the phone that they also depend which factory the car came out of too.

I just bought a Silver T Green D and Green i badge to go on my 2001 GT TDi. In place of the Silver T Red D Red i Badge.

You also see cars in the UK with Silver GT and then Silver G Red T and Red i here too. The back reads GT TDi. But you also get GT TDi's without the GT on the lettering. Again I was told this depends on the factory.

As to how accurate that is I cannot say the same VW Dealer told me I needed a new Turbo when I didn't. It was just a stuck VNT. Thank God for TdiClub Forum.:D

Rustynuts

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta 2.0ltr Sport TDI
The different colours of the TDI badge in the UK relate to the power outputs of the particular range ie Golf. Silver TDI is the lowest output engine in the range (currently 100bhp) and the next engine up the scale gets a red letter I Next up gets a red DI and finally a red TDI. As the engine range changes, the lettering also changes to take this into account.

Mike, all the pd 150 motors are badged red TDI in the Golf and Bora range (the very first ones were badged PD150 TDI), but the red DI could be a 115 or a 130 depending on when the car was produced.

Also, there is added confusion with some dealers adding GT letters to the TDI to make it a better looking car when it's not selling very well, and there could well be an issue with different factories fitting different badges, but only because that particular factory may not be building cars with a specific engine output. And finally, it also depends what was in the parts bin when the badges were in short supply.

Mike UK

TDI
Glof TDi ( 115 ) Anthracite
Green TDi Badges

Hi RustyNuts.. thanks for adding to my confusion !

I have seen 100 BHP - 02 Plate Black Golf with a Red I too. That I thought was only one I was sure of.:confused: My wifes is a 01 - 115 with Red Di, my friend has an 02 - 130 with a Red Di.

It all seems very random but with a main thread of increased redness with increased power.

I took the Red Di badge off my wifes golf just before the weekend as I was going to put on the Green Di badge on it.

I might leave it badge-less now though as that looks quite cool. .... Maybe until next weekend at any rate when the novelty wears off.

Can anyone tell me what are the Silver T - Green Di Badges off originally ?

Last edited:

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
bah... i want green TDI all the way across to go with my B99 usage. anyone know where i can get something like that? guess i could accept just green DI if that's all i can get

R-Sixxer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 1.9L
What is the best way to remove these letters without leaving scratches? My car is black and i am very anal about scratches/swirl marks. Would a hair dryer to loosen the glue work?

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd
yes and dental floss to affect the separation. afterwards, you can use a towel lightly damped with some acetone or even some fuel to get the last of the glue off the paint surface. Keep the exposure time short and you should have no prob with acetone messing with the paint job either.....test on a door jamb or inside the trunk first if you are worried.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Ah, so THAT'S why dental floss is in the logo for that new movie... I was wondering...

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
R-Sixxer said:
What is the best way to remove these letters without leaving scratches? My car is black and i am very anal about scratches/swirl marks. Would a hair dryer to loosen the glue work?
3M Adhesive remover also works. I don't know about the long term effects on the paint job.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
just so everyone is aware... http://www.parts4euro.com has

i'll be swapping to one as soon as i get it in the mail.

also, did i notice someone say there was a 150hp V6 TDI? where can i get one of those little guys...?

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
i best fly over there, pick one up, and bring it home in my suitcase then. think that'll pass thru customs?

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
those silver/green letters are pretty expensive, but they're worth it. i currently have the silver "BIODIESEL" letters from NeedaSticker.com which i purchased thru BioDieselNow.com. even at $20 i think the green letters are worth it.

cw1210

TDI
Golf TDI SE
Why is is that my Golf TDI SE has a red DI when it is only a 100 engine?

I see that some people are saying only the 115 or 130 engines should have red di lettering but mine is definitely only a 100 bhp.

Last edited:

The_Transporter

Veteran Member
TDI
Transporter 2.5 (174Bhp), 2004, Wheat Beige
And just to add to all this confusion, if you are a Van driver, then three silver letters denotes an 85 horse four cylinder, a red I denotes a 104 horse four cylinder, a red DI will be found on the rear of a 130 horse five cylinder and of course a red TDI is stuck on the rear of the barnstorming 174 horse five cylinder Transporter T5

MR42HH

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 530d
cw1210 said:
Why is is that my Golf TDI SE has a red DI when it is only a 100 engine?

I see that some people are saying only the 115 or 130 engines should have red di lettering but mine is definitely only a 100 bhp.
With the arrival of the Pumpe-Düse TDIs, everything 1.9 and PD had the red DI, except the 150, thich had the red T also.

littlesilverbugfromwales

TDI
vw new beetle tdi 100 pd
Hi, my 1.9 pd 100 tdi 2003 new beetle has a red i on the engine cover, others I have seen have only silver letters, and another guy on a UK forum has red di???????? my engine is the tdi variant available in the UK!!??