BEW automatic question

hotrodseth

TDI
MK4 Jetta
So I am swapping the motor out in a 2004 jetta with the bew tdi and auto trans. I ordered a ton of parts (Timing belt kit, etc) for the motor I am putting in. I called ECS tuning for some parts I couldn't find on there website. I thought I needed all the bolts that hold the transmission to the block, and the flexplate to the crank. When I got my order from them all I had for bolts was 2 bolts total that look the same as what I pulled out of the trans. So my question is, are the bolts on from trans-block and flexplate-crank bolts not tty and i am fine to reuse? if they aren't would I be fine to swap them out for like some grade 12.9 bolts or what would be best?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The bolts that hold the transmission bell housing to the engine block are not single use. You can use them over again. Motor mount bolts are a different story however, they are single use bolts.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I have reused the motor mount bolts and galled the threads on the passenger side...should have listened.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

hotrodseth

TDI
MK4 Jetta
Ok good to know that the transmission to block bolts are reusable. what about the flex plate bolts, are they good to reuse too? I have a new set of motor mount bolts, so I am good there.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
A good rule of thumb is if it has a finite number you're usually safe to reuse but if it has a torque number followed by +90 degrees it's not a good idea...torque to yield bolts are sometimes called stretch bolts and they aren't like stretch Armstrong...I've reused head bolts and haven't had a problem but I don't think I'd reuse them more than once...it was on a budget head swap car (flip car) that turned into my exgirlfriends daily...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk