Fuel Additives

dtwbrowne

TDI
jetta
Has any used or heard of this stuff??Need some advice, will be move to New York and with the temperature change need some information on antigel additives and what works best for colder weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dtwbrowne

TDI
jetta
Upstate New York is where I will beheading.. Weather was in the 30s last week..[emoji17][emoji17]

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
The risk is with fuel you buy further south that hasn't been treated for the temperature you take it into.....

I like PowerService myself and have carried around a bottle of "white" in the winter for this exact reason - I live in Florida and if traveling north, until I get a FULL tank of northern fuel in the car the risk is very real that you might wake up on a 10F morning and find the fuel system full of jello!

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Upstate New York is where I will beheading.. Weather was in the 30s last week..
I'm in South East NY.
I've used the car in single digit temps with the Power service additive.
My old VW pickup 1.6 diesel did not start at -10F or so but above that I used it if it started.
Took a long time for heat. :eek:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I love ads like that shown as they always make me chuckle. Ranked #1 by whom? And for what? What is displayed is 100% pure unadulterated marketing BS.

Cheers,

PH

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Anything listed as anti-gel will work fine. Better yet, simply plan to run low on fuel in OH/PA/NY.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
I use the Optilube XPD for the added lubricity for our 13 Cayenne diesel and my 05 Dodge Cummins diesel. Wether or not it's a snake oil I'm not sure. I started using originally for our JSW after the HPFP died in hopes of helping the new one last.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
There is a forum section for "Fuels and Lubricants" where this sort of stuff gets hashed out all the time, or has been already.
Keeping possible water in the fuel treated/under control is more important than anti-gell properties until temps get lower than 0F. Water turns to ice at relatively freezing temp (obviously) and can plug up your fuel pickup tube just sitting there. Plan fuel treatment as water damage control and anti-gell as a bonus that you probably won't need with good locally purchased pump fuel.

dtwbrowne

TDI
jetta
Thanks for the replies, new to the diesel community so want to get as much information as possible. Will check out the other forum for more information. Thanks