DPF Not Covered Under Extended Warranty?

richh001

TDI
Audi Q5 tdi
I have a 2014 Q5 TDI 3.0 that had the fix at 68,000 miles and now at 81,000 miles it threw a P226D00 code that the dealer says means I need a new DPF. He also says it's not covered under the extended warranty that came with the fix because it's considered a wear item. The warranty book states that the recommended maintenance schedule is not affected as it relates to DPF ash loading, but it also specifically states that the DPF IS covered. 81,000 is far short of the recommended maintenance interval of 110,000, the first time it's to be checked.

The DPF idiot light has not come on, just the check engine light with the P226D code. Has anyone else had this experience? I've opened a case with Audi Customer Service but so far they are deferring to the dealer.

UPDATE: A call to Audi Customer Care, sending them the pertinent page, a wait for a week, and the dealer was convinced the DPF is covered.

Last edited:

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Did the wrong oil get used at some point? That is an early failure. The stated warranty certainly looks as if it covers this.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Get the Manager involved and demand that they put the denial in writing on their letterhead.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
I’m sure Audi is “deferring” to the dealer, hoping that you will pay instead of them. And the dealer would rather charge you more for the repair than Audi would reimburse. But you need to stand your ground. There is still time to get the class action attorneys involved to hold them to the settlement agreement.

A wear item whose wear rate was changed because of dieselgate and is explicitly covered. And they are trying to deny. Not cool.

Last edited:

richh001

TDI
Audi Q5 tdi
Thanks for the replies and advice. All service has been performed by this dealer except the very first one. I have always been treated well at this dealer and am surprised at this response. The service writer says they are only following guidance from Audi.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
And people think they'll get better service paying dealers that hawk cars with nose rings.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the replies and advice. All service has been performed by this dealer except the very first one. I have always been treated well at this dealer and am surprised at this response. The service writer says they are only following guidance from Audi.
I've found the dealerships are clueless on these matters. When I had my Q5 updated they were only going to put $40 worth of fuel in it. I told them that they needed to FILL it. They weren't going to. I showed them the literature and sure enough they admitted that they should fill it, which they did. Probably saved a bunch of money NOT filling others to the top.

VW didn't want to give me free Adblue when I was there last, they tried to say that since I hadn't had the vehicle serviced they didn't have to. I told them to give me a denial on their letterhead with their Service managers signature on it. They filled it.

Go back with the info provided. Tell them you won't leave without a written denial of service. Report back.

richh001

TDI
Audi Q5 tdi
I sent the person at Audi Customer Service a copy of page 8. It sure seems pretty clear to me. If I don't get it straightened out through Audi Customer Care I will go back to the dealer and ask for a written denial. Or should I just try another dealer?

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
I sent the person at Audi Customer Service a copy of page 8. It sure seems pretty clear to me. If I don't get it straightened out through Audi Customer Care I will go back to the dealer and ask for a written denial. Or should I just try another dealer?
I would deal with them in person if possible..hand them the info personally..

richh001

TDI
Audi Q5 tdi
I just got a call from Audi Customer Service; the repair will be covered 100%.

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
I'm just going to assume that this will be their SOP for all cases. If they deny 100% at first, how many are going to argue and push their case before VWoA just puts their hands up and fulfills their obligation under the settlement? My assumption is that most people will hang their head and hand over payment, helping VWoA make customer service great again. The number of warranty cases on here already seem to support my (clearly) scientific observation of this deny and cross fingers approach.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you own one of these cars now and aren't aware of the settlement mandated warranty and what it covers, and aren't willing to stand up and make sure VW meets their obligation, then I guess you should pay. No different than buying any other new car and being told it isn't covered and then giving up and paying. Stand up and assert your rights until they are fulfilled. They are in writing after all.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Better words can't be spoken, how many dealers get away with a "$95 diagnostic fee" for warranty work?

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
If you own one of these cars now and aren't aware of the settlement mandated warranty and what it covers, and aren't willing to stand up and make sure VW meets their obligation, then I guess you should pay. No different than buying any other new car and being told it isn't covered and then giving up and paying. Stand up and assert your rights until they are fulfilled. They are in writing after all.
ugh...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Or the OP could update the first post with the critical info, so those seeing and coming to this thread will know right away the result.

richh001

TDI
Audi Q5 tdi
All fixed - new DPF and sensor. Dealer also agreed, after I asked, to refund the $114 diagnosis fee. Thanks all!

CRWalker

TDI
2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI CBEA
2009 JSW TDI 10k DPF

So maybe due to the fact that my car is a 2009 and had the DPF/NOx Cat Assembly replaced with the two piece exhaust during the modification, but York VW had no issues replacing my DPF 10,000 miles after modification. I had a DTC for P0401 EGR Insufficient Flow. Same code and fix as before the modification, so hopefully it was just a faulty DPF. However, main point being - absolutely zero issue making it right and taking care of the rental costs, just had to pay for the gas for the 2018 Tiguan Limited I got to scoot around in for a day and a half.

TDI
Audi Q5 TDI 3.0L
So maybe due to the fact that my car is a 2009 and had the DPF/NOx Cat Assembly replaced with the two piece exhaust during the modification, but York VW had no issues replacing my DPF 10,000 miles after modification. I had a DTC for P0401 EGR Insufficient Flow. Same code and fix as before the modification, so hopefully it was just a faulty DPF. However, main point being - absolutely zero issue making it right and taking care of the rental costs, just had to pay for the gas for the 2018 Tiguan Limited I got to scoot around in for a day and a half.
You are saying the 2009 TDI fix received a new DPF, and it clogged in 10,000 miles? That is absolutely scary.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It might be if it was happening on any kind of a widespread basis, but it isn't. More like an odd ball occurrence, and it is covered if it does happen.