Code P00AF this morning

mkvme

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Was driving to work and when I got on the gas kinda hard I lost went into what Im assuming was limp mode ( never been there before ) and the glow plug light was flashing. Pulled coded P00AF with my torque app.

http://www.micro-tronik.com/faultcodes/obdiifaultcode_p00af.html

Anyone know what I'd need to fix this? I'm driving like a grandma until I can get it fixed, just glad I made it to work.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Problem with the G581 Charge Pressure Actuator Position Sensor (which is the gizmo that detects the position of the VNT actuator).

It should be available seperately, if you find that is the culprit and not the wiring or ECU... part of the 'turbocharger repair kit' part number 03L-198-716-A. You won't need a whole turbocharger...

This is assuming it is in fact an electrical sensor problem, and not the actual turbo/VNT mechanism itself, in which case the G581 is simply doing its job.

mkvme

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
So most likely the sensor? Would really hate to have to replace the whole turbo lol

Do you know how hard of an install this is? Im a beginner mechanic

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well, we can only hope. Unfortunately, I have seen a high number (relatively speaking) of turbocharger failures on CR cars. So I for one wouldn't be shocked if it is indeed a bad turbo.

IDparts has them for less than Volkswagen does, FYI.

But yeah, check the sensor wiring first. All they really give for testing the sensor itself is an Ohm value, which is usually pretty vague. Check to see if the actuator moves freely and returns fully to its stop.

mkvme

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Thanks alot man, i see the kit on ecs, not much of a description though lol. Ill keep looking around..really appreciate the advice though.

mkvme

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Decided to take it in, dealer said its the boost control valve and that I was over boosting