KEY FOB Window Mod (and wagon hatch Mod)

ik0n

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI
Hi,

I was just wondering who in the Ontario forum is familiar in completing these mods?
I'm looking to have them both done.
I think everyone knows the window mod.
But the rear hatch mod for the wagon that I'm looking to have done is the one that keeps the hatch unlocked when the doors are unlocked. I've read there is a VCDS mod for it?
I'm interested in getting both of these mods done, and am willing to compensate someone capable of performing these mods (perhaps with some chilled beverages of his/her choice)?
Let me know.

Cheers,
Brett

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
It cannot be done with VCDS. I have a program called VDS Pro which is a DOS based program that will work to do both things you are asking. I love that my hatch is always unlocked and I don't need to use the fob to open it. Best mod ever. If you don't mind a drive to the city, I can do it for you.

ik0n

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI
Wingnut,
Where are you located?
I drive through Toronto "relatively" frequently (my parents are in Cobourg; my wife's parents are in Pickering), so we are through the city fairly frequently.
Let me know.
Cheers,
Brett

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I live in Whitby, so you can stop in to see me when you visit either set of parents. Just give me a call when you plan your next visit and we can set something up.

Nigel

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I got all the info I needed from this Vortex post. However, the program is very touchy when it comes to how it works on certain computers. It is DOS based, so it has to be an old computer that has a serial port and can boot to DOS with no operating system. I have tried to run the program on no less than 11 different laptops and have only had success with one. Feel free to give it a try if you like, but it took me a lot of trial & error to get it to work for me.

Here are the computers that I tried:

Dell Latitude CP = FAIL
IBM 600, 600E & 600X = all FAIL
IBM T20, T21, T22, T23 = All FAIL
Toshiba 440CDX, Toshiba 4600 = FAIL

The only one I have had success with so far is an old I series IBM. It is branded IBM, but I beleive that these were manufactured by a different company under license from IBM, so that is why they work? Mine is an I1400.

You also need a serial VAG cable. So when you factor in what you need to buy to get this to work ($30 for cheap E-bay serial cable plus $30-50 for an old laptop), you might as well make the drive to see me. I don't charge anything, so all it costs is your time & fuel, which is a whole lot less than buying the equipment.

PS. The hatch always open mod only works on the Passat & Jetta wagons as far as I know. I have not read anywhere that indicates it works on Golfs. Sorry

Last edited:

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
I knew why I got that old Toshiba 386 running Win95 from the office when they tried to through it out!:) I thought it'll end up in a museum soon. I guess that'll have to wait :)
I gotta find a serial cable now. Anyone has one fore sale "wink wink" :)

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Here are the computers that I tried:

Dell Latitude CP = FAIL
IBM 600, 600E & 600X = all FAIL
IBM T20, T21, T22, T23 = All FAIL
Toshiba 440CDX, Toshiba 4600 = FAIL

The only one I have had success with so far is an old I series IBM.
It's almost certainly a timing issue. The computers that fail are just way too fast. The old DOS program sends a command, executes a delay loop, then checks for a response. The delay time depends on the processor speed, so the faster computers fail because they check for a response before the controller can send it.

What processor does your I series have?

Simon

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
It can work on a newer Windows XP based laptop (as long as it has the serial port) by using an app called DOSBOX. You can put "Wait states" into the app that will slow down the CPU cycles. Best part is that each DOSBOX instance is a seperate instance indipendant of XP.

I use it for a client of mine that requires the use of Lotus 2.2 and a Parallel printer on their Core2Duo Thinkpad running XP. The serial and parallel ports are on the docking station and work like a charm :cool:

MrVermin
P.S I would still go to Nigel's place and partake in the camaraderie :D

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
But it did for windows. Just did my car. Using winxp sp3, dell 5520 and ebay usb vag com cable.
So, coffee/beer still goes to Nigel, but I can do your windows.

Demon Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Audi A4 Quattro Avant 2.0TDI 6spd manual
I've done a few MK4s without any issue with my old Dell Lattitude C400 using the DOS based cable and my own homemade cable.

Anyone interested send me a PM. I'm in the Vaughan area. I usually charge $20 but a beer works for me! :)

Also never done the hatch mod so whomever is interested just bring me the memory address to change and the value to change it to. Make sure it's for your CCM (several different part #s out there).

Diesel Maniak

TDI
74 Bug
I've done a few MK4s without any issue with my old Dell Lattitude C400 using the DOS based cable and my own homemade cable.

Anyone interested send me a PM. I'm in the Vaughan area. I usually charge $20 but a beer works for me! :)

Also never done the hatch mod so whomever is interested just bring me the memory address to change and the value to change it to. Make sure it's for your CCM (several different part #s out there).

can u turn off the automatic locking as u drive and trunk to not lock it self all the time on a 06 wagon tdi ?