What did you do to your MKIV today?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
About 2 weeks ago I bought a 2006 NB for my wife's winter beater. Her other one is parked for the moment until I fix the terrible oil leak (2003 1.8T Jetta). Nice car, 2.5 gasser w/auto. Only 80k miles. It is a nice dark blue, and looks good with gold-colored Fat Five wheels with snows mounted. Her non-start paranoia demanded this setup. Anyway, in spite of the previous owner having just purchased a new battery, it was dead a couple of days ago. Also, it needs new brake pucks. The fronts were still 1/2 thickness, but the rear ones were really thin. So, new pucks all around.

Meanwhile, charged up the battery and set about finding the guilty circuit. After playing with it a while, looking and doing a face-palm because I did it wrong, then waiting again for the ECU to go back to sleep, I found it was fuse 42, which on this 2006 NB is the radio. Hmmm... pulling an amp (.892, actually) while everything is off? Heard of this before? Yup, it has a Monsoon OEM radio installed, so for the moment I've pulled the 25 amp fuse in position 42. No radio, but it is much better to be able to count on the car starting in the morning.

Cheers,

PH

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Desert Jetta & 2015 Passat SEL
FYI - The link requires a login and password.

Here's the unit I bought: https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot...&orderId=93704366709495&productId=32828213929

My guru installed it and he said it was easy. The unit comes with an adapter which allows the backlighting to work. It probably needed an antenna adapter, as all aftermarket stereos do on older VWs, but I already had one in the car. This unit is supposed to work with steering wheel controls, by my car doesn't have them so I can't vouch for that.

Unit works great, so far. I haven't used the bluetooth, but the phone connection is easy and quick. Illumination exactly matches the rest of the dash lighting.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
The wagon's been making a nasty squeak-squeak-squeak (see video), especially when cold. Took the accessory belt off and the sound is still there so looks like it's time to do the timing belt.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/f7dp1jsT94LdKs7k7

I had a similar issue about 65k into my timing belt, I took the timing cover off and rub a crayon on the inside part of the belt, problem solved. I replaced the entire timing system at 80k, hopefully this helps.

Bajan

borntofli

TDI
1998 jetta tdi
Replaced my n75 to hopefully solve a limp mode problem.... It worked somewhat, no longer can get limp mode on flat ground driving aggressively... But it will happen on a long inclined road... couple miles or so.... Have replaces all vacuum lines also... It seems to only happen when travelling at 70mph+...

i have a vag-com, but dont really understand what the data is telling me.... More research....

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Does it do it once it's warm? If not I wouldn't worry about it. I've had two noisy assemblies on IBW over the years. No problems.

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
Replaced the headliner and made sure sunroof drain lines were securely attached.

klee

TDI
1999 MK4 Jetta TDI
put car back together

1999 Jetta TDI 410k miles

I installed a cleaned intake manifold with egr valve, cleaned cooler, exhaust manifold with cleaned turbo, hoses, etc... Got my key fob wet which is giving me problems. So I haven't been able to try the car yet.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Changed oil, filter, and fuel filter in the '99.5 on Saturday. Today I drove it 390 miles to Albany and back. The combination of new suspension, blend doors fixed, and turbo working properly makes a huge difference. Smooth, quiet, and quick.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Does it do it once it's warm? If not I wouldn't worry about it. I've had two noisy assemblies on IBW over the years. No problems.
It started out (last winter I think) only making noise when cold, first thing in the morning. Lately it's been doing it even when warmed up and was getting louder. The belt has 76K miles on it and is 9.5 years old, so it feels like it's time. I know there's some debate as to whether the timing belt has a maximum age limit or just a mileage limit. This one still _looks_ great but I think one of the rollers or maybe the tensioner is starting to go.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
It started out (last winter I think) only making noise when cold, first thing in the morning. Lately it's been doing it even when warmed up and was getting louder. The belt has 76K miles on it and is 9.5 years old, so it feels like it's time. I know there's some debate as to whether the timing belt has a maximum age limit or just a mileage limit. This one still _looks_ great but I think one of the rollers or maybe the tensioner is starting to go.

You’re in the range 9.5 yrs , I personally would strongly recommend doing another timing belt change.
If most of your driving is highway and not city, you could probably stretch it out till summer, if not I’ll get it done ASAP just for a peace of mind.

Bajan

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Uploaded Malone tune into jetta using flashzilla. Mechanic will run it for a day or two to make sure all is okay. Cross yer fingers. In the car right now is a good used VNT15 with a stock MAP, with the Malone stage 2. So, if it was the tune, we'll know pretty damn fast, methinks.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Removed the timing belt on the wagon. The tensioner seemed to be locked up in the un-tensed position but the adjustment wouldn't budge in either direction so I cut the belt with a pair of tin snips to relieve tension. I'm thinking that was the cause of the noise. Not sure what caused it to lock up like that. It was a Litens - the same as what I'm putting in. Will have to compare the old and the new and see if anything looks visibly damaged.

It looks like the crank timing was off by a smidge (1 tooth).

Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/FfXEkF8yaP9yq3NR6

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Removed the timing belt on the wagon. The tensioner seemed to be locked up in the un-tensed position but the adjustment wouldn't budge in either direction so I cut the belt with a pair of tin snips to relieve tension. I'm thinking that was the cause of the noise. Not sure what caused it to lock up like that. It was a Litens - the same as what I'm putting in. Will have to compare the old and the new and see if anything looks visibly damaged.

It looks like the crank timing was off by a smidge (1 tooth).

Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/FfXEkF8yaP9yq3NR6

Yea definitely look like you’re off a tooth. Other than the squealing noise from the tensioner, did it start ok, feel sluggish or go into limp mode.

Bajan

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
99% sure I diagnosed a bad right front wheel bearing today. Two weeks ago I developed a front end shimmy with braking and Monday it developed the tell tale “rumble strip” noise when going straight and got worse when turning left. Got the front end up in the air and didn’t feel any play in either wheel. Put it in 5th and let it idle. Didn’t feel anything in the strut tower or the spring but did hear some noise from the right front so I’m all but positive that side is my issue. Given it’s got 260k miles on it I can’t complain. I could do the bearing myself but I simply don’t have the time with just starting a new job. So it’s off to my local VW guru.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
1% huh? May not be the bearing, up on stands try a 6' pry bar under the wheel to check for play.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Had the boy's towed home...:(

Lady pulled out in front of him, and he avoided hitting her and this was the result. He went up a sidewalk ramp, between a stop sign and a large telephone pole.:eek:

No injuries, just the TDI.

The Panzer plate tried, but was no match for these forces. Quick scan of the engine compartment shows a broken passenger side motor mount. The EGR valve broke in two off of the intake...:eek:

Luckily the house really came out the winner, as I was really surprised at the lack of damage. I went back and cleaned up the garbage for them.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The TDI doesn't matter. Your son does. I've had two of my children survive totaling three VWs. They walked away from all the accidents. For that I love VWs.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Had the boy's towed home...:(

Lady pulled out in front of him, and he avoided hitting her and this was the result. He went up a sidewalk ramp, between a stop sign and a large telephone pole.:eek:

No injuries, just the TDI.

The Panzer plate tried, but was no match for these forces. Quick scan of the engine compartment shows a broken passenger side motor mount. The EGR valve broke in two off of the intake...:eek:

Luckily the house really came out the winner, as I was really surprised at the lack of damage. I went back and cleaned up the garbage for them.

Yikes

Bajan

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Yesterday I was able to reseal the quantity adjuster and the top side of 11mm ip on the 01.
I also did the hammer mod to bring it back into spec where I like it .

Bajan

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Wiped down all the door seals with glycerin to see how that helps in wet freezing weather. I hate yanking on door handles when they freeze shut....

sleepurrr

TDI
2001 beetle
Does anyone know if 205/65R 16 can be put on a non lifted 2001 bug? When looking at front wheel clearance, there appears to be just over an inch when the wheels r turned either direction. This should be more that enough room to put them on....but once driving, will they rub when u hit bumps etc.