Help Rotella 15w-40 oil used in 03 jetta tdi

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I wouldn’t use any CK-4 Diesel engine oil that doesn’t meet Ford WSS-M2C171-F1 in an TDI equipped with a Flat tappet camshaft.
In other words, no. I wouldn’t use the new T6 or Delvac ESP in an ALH or BEW.
T6 is cheap and readily available. It’s historically had high volatility so I wouldn’t use it in anything that has emissions controls.
And yet many thousands of us are using either one and have no bad effects and many are still getting UOA that are not alarming, apparently. Has anyone heard of or seen a warning from BlackStone Labs (or any of the others) to discontinue use of the oil sample sent in?
I could care less what Ford specs/doesn't spec or what meets their spec. DelVac ESP meets/exceeds the CJ-4/CK-4 requirements of various specs of/for new CAT, Cummings, Detroit, Mack, MB, Volvo, etc. Yep, no Ford listed.
Not loosing any sleep over it either.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
And yet many thousands of us are using either one and have no bad effects and many are still getting UOA that are not alarming, apparently. Has anyone heard of or seen a warning from BlackStone Labs (or any of the others) to discontinue use of the oil sample sent in?
I could care less what Ford specs/doesn't spec or what meets their spec. DelVac ESP meets/exceeds the CJ-4/CK-4 requirements of various specs of/for new CAT, Cummings, Detroit, Mack, MB, Volvo, etc. Yep, no Ford listed.
Not loosing any sleep over it either.
It’s Cummins not Cummings.

I haven’t seen any UOAs from a new low P CK-4/SN rated oil being used on a 1.9 TDI. Couldn’t find any on this site either. I guess you’ve seen some, can you provide a source so I can view?

Ford made their own oil specification to address excessive valvetrain wear during internal testing of the new CK-4 oils.

Oil manufactures are under pressure from API and ACEA to reduce sulfated ash and certain metals in oils like phosphorous, to protect modern emissions systems. Most modern diesels use a roller cam valvetrain so high pressure anti wear additives aren’t as critical as they are in older flat tappet designs like our 1.9s.

You asked me to define the difference between CJ-4 and CK-4 Delvac ESP. And I did, thouroughly. It is clear that the new CK-4/SN D1 is inferior to the old version. In every way... I’m glad I have 17 gallons of the old formula stashed away.

I’ll keep using CJ-4 and E7 E9 lubes in my diesels cause it works. You can drink the CK-4/SN and E6 koolaid if you choose. I’m just providing the information.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Phosphorus isn't the only way to get the wear protection.

As you noted the hissy fit is over cats, the Fed's insistence on long emissions warranties (read: if your car fails emissions THEY eat it) and the general problem that phosphorus poisons cats. So if you start consuming oil your cats stop working well enough and while you'll probably pass an OBD test (unless you get real unlucky and fail on the O2 sensor readings that throw a code) a sniffer up the pipe will fail you.

Therefore the pressure on the oil people.

This, however, doesn't mean the oils with less phosphorus are inferior. It just means that they have a different additive package in them.

I don't have a recent UOA on my ALH but it's run T6 since the factory oil was drained. That means it's got the new stuff in it now and has for quite some time. It's right near 250k miles and has the OE cam and lifters in it, and the last time the cover was off the top the cam was fine. If I remember the next time I change it I'll pull one -- I have a couple of prepaids from Blackstone so it's just a matter of remembering to do it.

Will I change it at next timing belt interval around 300k? Probably.

Why?

Because there's a bit of lifter noise on a cold start. But seriously -- 300k miles is poor service life on a factory cam and flat tappets? Really? :D

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
OMG. 3 pages of oil discussion after asking just a simple, is this oil ok for my tdi? Does it ever stop? :D

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
To answer a question poised as to whether M1 TDT 5w-40 was still available in qts. Yesterday I stopped by the local Fleet store and they had a shelf full of TDT in qts. Price has increased substantially for all the M1 choices. The non-sale price they posted ($7.79) was up about a $1/qt from last visit, and as before, gallons were priced slightly higher than four qts.

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Automatic Sedan
To answer a question poised as to whether M1 TDT 5w-40 was still available in qts. Yesterday I stopped by the local Fleet store and they had a shelf full of TDT in qts. Price has increased substantially for all the M1 choices. The non-sale price they posted ($7.79) was up about a $1/qt from last visit, and as before, gallons were priced slightly higher than four qts.
Thank you.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk