how to synchronize head to block on 07 tdi 1.9L brm

fluxcore

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta tdi
Does # 1 piston only come twice in a complete engine cycle? if so it ease to get # 1 compression will be first time it come up on engine cycle? The head can be
turned to see the valve close and with head on it show it linkage depressing the injector. correct? thanks

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
With the number one piston at the top, the two cam lobes for the number one cylinder will be pointing up. Both valves will be closed.

That should get you close, and then you can put in crank and cam locking tools if you have them.

fluxcore

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta tdi
can't see any lobes must be up it head, have to see #1 compression when come up. brm engine thanks have a good day.
if i can tell #1 comp it first and if you don't get it( it 50 % chance) i think the engine should go back 1 ccw. correct????

Last edited:

Cliff Hanger

TDI
06 golf just acquired
I'm facing like problem.just purchased 06 golf..mega cheap...no start!... sniff round lots at wiring..no probs evident...lift car..3rd gear..turn front r wheel... uh oh..only turns about 1/4 turn and feel very hard stop..other direction same thing...something is not right in who ville...valve cover off..bits of shiny metal lurking in #2 section...going to remove head to see what's not to like inside...already undid camshaft...now...is timing going to be a nuisance when (if) I put it back together?... apologies if I posted in wrong spot..total noob.

Cliff Hanger

TDI
06 golf just acquired
Whoops..should note glow plugs are removed so compression not an issue..also note ...when I removed g plugs a tip of 1 was not included!..I did not notice when I removed it if it was intact, or is it on he inside looking out!...ta

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
You will be facing a similar issue but not for a while. First determine what went wrong.
Take some time now and document what you have. Maybe post pictures of the findings.
Read up on the procedure to R&R the cylinder head and timing belt.
Decide if you will be fixing it yourself or finding someone else qualified to do it.
If you do it yourself, there is a learning curve that depends on your tools and abilities.
At this stage, patience and research will help you save both time and money.

fluxcore

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta tdi
if i can tell #1 comp it first and if you don't get it( it 50 % chance) i think the engine should go back 1 ccw. correct????