new injector nozzles for fuel economy

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Don't expect any major improvement, but you should pick up a couple mpg when you start gettting back to you normal driving routine. I'm sure you've experienced the increase in pulling power from the engine now since the nozzle swap:D. It truly does make a better car out of it. I don't know how the 11mm IP factors into the power/mpg equation, but it should have much better snort than before.

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
You need to do a "hammer mod". It's very easy to do as long as you have a VCDS, which you do.

Do a search for "hammer mod".

Good luck!

wncre8r

TDI
Just bought a '02 jetta with 196K miles. It feels rough (vibrations)and a little sluggish on accel through all gears but once up to highway speed it runs fine. Any thoughts? By the way it feel a lot different than my '03 jetta wagon with 100K miles.

SoCATDI

TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS Wagon, 2003 Golf TDI, 1998 Jetta TDI sadly totaled by teen driver, 2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI
I have a 2003 TDI Golf 1.9 diesel. It has 263,000 miles. It is the best car I have ever owned. The fuel economy is off. I have cleaned the egr valve and the intake manifold. I blew out the soot out of the cat. conv.. Should I change the injector noozles next? Please advise. Thanks SoCATDI

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
How long has it been since the timing belt (kit) was changed? As the tb wears, it will retard the timing, hence lower fuel mileage.

Did you check your coolant temp? Look in my sig for a link on an easy way check for a faulty t-stat.

Parking brake hanging up will result in lower mpg. Check and make sure the pb caliber arm is returning all the way against its stop. If it isn't, it's dragging and costing you a few mpg.

btw, what is your mpg now? Is it an auto or manual trans?

df

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
I have a 2003 TDI Golf 1.9 diesel. It has 263,000 miles. It is the best car I have ever owned. The fuel economy is off. I have cleaned the egr valve and the intake manifold. I blew out the soot out of the cat. conv.. Should I change the injector noozles next? Please advise. Thanks SoCATDI

Try the water vapor decarbonizatoin a few times as outlined here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=327605

And report back with your results. I would certainly try that(since it's cheap to do) before replacing the nozzles. Then again at 263K on the nozzles, it certainly wouldn't hurt to do them either. I would be very curious to hear about your results after doing the decarb a few times, especially since you have that many miles on your car.

96passh1t

TDI
B4 passat
So I have a 96 Passat I'm thinking about doing the 520 with an injector upgrade before I get my Malone tune, is there anything else I should look into, other then the egr delete and the 5th injector delete?

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
So I have a 96 Passat I'm thinking about doing the 520 with an injector upgrade before I get my Malone tune, is there anything else I should look into, other then the egr delete and the 5th injector delete?
it should have been done by now in my opinion, both these mods are very easy to do on the 96 passat

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd
I've been lerking on this thread for a while now, and I took some of the advice you were giving the OP and put it into my own TDI. I have a 2002 Jetta that has 150,000 miles on it and I had a 5 speed swap done about a year and a half ago, so it was the 11mm injection pump. I bought a set of Sprint520s from KERMAtdi.com and just installed them today. I noticed more power right away on my first test drive. The idle was pretty choppy so I hooked up the VAG-COM and adjusted the IQ to 2.2 (for some reason it wouldn't let me go any higher than that, Im gonna try again tomorrow) but at 2.2 the idle cleaned up nicely. I also adjust the EGR value. Even though I only did this a couple hours ago, I'm happy I did it. Can't wait to see how much it'll improve my MPGs! THANKS GUYS!
when doing nozzles do you just install and adjust accordingly with vag com? or need em swapped out/tested/pop checked by a shop/pro??

Randall

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 & 2000 new beetles
I just installed and calibrated a set of Wuzetem 442’s Set my IQ as high as I could and still start the car “used a hammer” and have my car dialed in for no smoke is good mode.

I used to get 45-55 we shall see ina few weeks what this gets me. Old nozzles were Bosch 706.

fahrfrompuken

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
I put the Sprint 520's in mine after a 5 speed swap and noticed a 7 MPG improvement with the 5 Speed and another 3 with the nozzles. The car is much more fun to drive now that I have the nozzles! I do recommend it!
What nozzles did you install on the Sprint 520 injectors. I just picked up a 2006 Jetta TDI 5spd with the BRM.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
What nozzles did you install on the Sprint 520 injectors. I just picked up a 2006 Jetta TDI 5spd with the BRM.
I think the terminology got jumbled up a bit and the reference to the Sprint 520 "injectors" should read "nozzles" on the original "injector" bodies as was mentioned in the original posting quoted. That's what I have in both my old TDIs. I believe the Sprint 520 nozzles now (quite some time ago) have been updated with new design and name.
But, it doesn't matter. You have a different system (PD injection) on the 2006 BRM engine vs the older style ALH engined TDI that was referenced in the previous quote.

Last edited:

fahrfrompuken

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
I’ve had an ALH and several CR engines. This is my first PD. Trying to learn the best way to add some power while keeping or even adding fuel efficiency. This car is a 5 speed.