Enjoying the sounds of my TDI

flair.14

Veteran Member
TDI
02 black Bora
I might get flamed for this but when cruising between 2000-2500rpm the TDI sounds like a go-cart. I'm not saying its bad, it just has a unique sound to it which I just love

TDITONY

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS TDi Black
I listen once and a while but just can't keep my figures off the Monsoon! I even bought the Drivers Wanted CD from VW. Yes, I am a freak but the CD is actually quite good sans a couple of songs.

Once I get the heaters installed I wonder if it will sound a little different as the oil will be warm. I guess I will have to leave it unplugged once and a while for fun

Happy Holidays everyone.

Tony B.
02 Jetta GLS

volksviggen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS ,blue
Nope.I hardly ever use my radio.The TDI is much more interesting.

I've noticed that anyone who gets in it is overcome by an irresistable urge to imitate the sound,not unlike "mooing" at passing cows.Or is it just my friends?(Don't answer that LOL)

SLD

volksviggen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS ,blue
Bitte,mein computer ist $%%%.

SLD

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: Suddenly Likes Driving ]</p>

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Mel:

I feel the same way and just enjoy driving and listening to the sweet sounding engine. Now if you would have also mentioned fillups and additives, I'd be in TDI Heaven.

-Steve

P.S. No fair tinkering with your engine, yah know!

TDITONY

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS TDi Black
hmmm, maybe if I recorded the sound of my TDI and burned it to a CD I could sell it to everyone with crap, opps I mean Gas cars! Then they could join in the fun.

Na, they still wouldn't get it!

MaryP

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI, GLS, 5 speed
I think the "sound" is one of the reasons I am enthralled with the TDI. I have a tractor for use on our farm and absolutley love to putter around in it. (well, I do chores with it too!). It's a good thing the TDI isn't quite that loud though.

tdi_veedub

Veteran Member
I particularily like how my engine makes pedestrians aware of my presence
So that they don't do anything stupid like saunter accross a busy street infront of oncoming traffic.

Also the neighbourhood kids are afraid of the sound and quickly clear a path for me to drive by them. MUHAHAHA!!!

golfstream

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black
Am I the only one? Sometimes I drive for many miles with the stereo off just to listen to that sweet little engine.
How is clatters a little louder when it's cold and I'm gently driving out of my community while letting it come to temperature. How it just purrs along at highway speeds. How it just hums during those short bursts to 90 or so mph.
To me, the sounds from this little machine are a special kind of music. Is it just me?

-Mel

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
YES!

Mel, you need some mods to occupy your time. Since you've got that nice garage to do work in and to house the Golf.

Lito

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: tongsli ]</p>

golfstream

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black
Lito,

What do you mean, yes. Do you mean yes, it is just me? That can't be true because Beowulf shares my sentiment.

You better be nice to me or I'll tell Mrs. Lito about those Bilstiens.
Also, if you're real nice, I might let you use the garage some time.

-Mel

BoraTdi

Veteran Member
I love my new Nakamichi stereo, but first thing on a cold morning I leave the radio off to enjoy the transition from quiet idle to major diesel clatter as I rumble past my neighbors. The sound alone gives me the presence of an HD2500 or F250

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
Mel--You are not the only one!! Sometimes when my TDI is cold I like to think that is sounds like a "little semi." It just has that turbo-diesel sound. Also, being a musician, I LOVE how quiet the TDI is at cruising and highway speed. Anyone else notice this? Most gas cars get louder the faster they go. The TDI (I think) is louder at idle than at 70 mph. Also, other TDIers know that sound: Today I was at the grocery store, just leaving in my car, when a red Jetta TDI pulls in. I start to pull out and the guy checks out my car from a distance, attracted by that sound!--Steve

justme

Veteran Member
For some reason I especially love the way the diesel sounds while driving through moderate or heavy snow. The "chug chug chug" quality of it is particularly reasurring and solid. Also the clatter of the cold engine on a snowy morning takes me way back (diesel cars since '80) and is an ongoing part of our life: the scene in the driveway after a big snow as I'm finishing up with the snowblower, my wife is pulling out to go to work, we're exchanging last-minute logistics of the day or pleasantries through the car window with the diesel clatter in the background as snow falls.

MineMapper

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Transporter Kombi
"Welcome to Geek Central. I'll be your host for the evening. My name is Beowulf."

I frequently get pissed off with NPR after the first 20 mins of my commute, and will turn off the radio just to listen to clatter at idle (and how it changes depending on whether my foot is on the brakes or the lights are on), the rattle of the exhaust, the clash of the trim in the trunk over potholes, the whistle of the turbo spooling up, the wind noise at 65+ and the squeak from those damn EBC pads as I come to a stop.

Maybe I'm just super sensitive to noises in my car, but it is not a quiet ride by any means.

C'est la vie.

Thankfully I have more important things to worry about than chasing down every little noise, so I don't let the little things sweat me (or some such thing anyway).

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
One thing for sure, when it comes to decibel sounds at 60 MPH cruising speed, VWoA states that the TDI is actually quieter than the 2.0L gasser due to the lower RPM differential.

Gassers often have to get all wound up (like a few of us folks do) just to cruise the freeway (Forum).

AusSalzburg

Veteran Member
Hey Mel Knott, I totally agree with you.
Last year I was in Austria and Germany driving a Golf TDI 130HP for a month. It was just a rental car. I fell in love with the car. It was beautifull inside and out. I washed the car as if it were my own. Vacuumed it also. Before I returned it, I topped of the oil. Returning the car back was difficult. I kept turning around while I was walking away, to get one last look at it. I loved starting it, driving it, listening to it, sitting in it and looking at it.
I'm a TDI geek now.
See ya, Michael.

Oo-v-oO

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta Expired... Now 2000 Golf & 2002 Golf
You're definitely not the only one. I'll go so far as to cruise around in the winter with the heat on full-blast and the windows down sometimes just to hear the sweet mechanical music. Wife thinks I'm nuts....

If you like the TDI sound files, get a load of these, the sounds of a Cummins powered Dodge pickup with modifications including a 4" exhaust.
See here:

http://www.jannettyracing.com/media.htm

Scroll down to the sound files. My favorite is the first one. Get a load of the resonance in second gear just before he shifts up! Crank up your speakers for sure.....

Kyanoti

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf GL, silver
My problem is when I hear another TDI, but I'm a pedestrian. Do I wave? Do I smile? If its a Beetle, do they not realize that the thing under the hood pleases me more than the hood itself? Sigh. I just have to repress it, because I don't think my society tolerates what they think is random smiling at cars.

Well, I repress it until I get behind the wheel and take the long way home... I've been known to add 100 miles to my 20 mile commute some days, windows open, and my radio off.

Beowulf

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta, 1998, Green
I actually beat the Star Wars geek the other night on Comedy Central's "Beat the Geeks".

Just more evidence, in case you needed it.

"Would you like some olives with your Geek Salad?"

davenkay

TDI
2006 Jetta Pkg. 2
Mel, I agree with you wholeheartedly. The sound is just one part of the "diesel enigma". The smell of the fuel and the fuel additive; the smell of the exhaust. All of these "diesel attributes" get into ones blood and become part of the overall diesel owners experience.

Those who say diesels are noisy and stink have not yet become indoctinated into the diesel experience. (Some folks simply will not allow themselves to be so engrossed).

I can't imagine a day when I would be forced to have to deal with those stinky gas cars whose exhaust causes instant head ache and nausea.

Dorado

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle TDI, 2002, Cool White
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr> The TDI (I think) is louder at idle than at 70 mph<hr></blockquote>

We also love it! Around 55-60 on a flat nicely paved road you can't hear TDI at all! Indeed, it makes it easier to enjoy the Monsoon.

Oo-v-oO

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta Expired... Now 2000 Golf & 2002 Golf
I actually saw a website that was offering a device with recorded sounds of turbocharger blow-off valves actuating. No kidding.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Now that some other people have mentioned the ricers who love to make their little engines sound all macho an' stuff, I can say the obvious: lots of people love the way their vehicles sound...

Ask anyone who owns a Harley.

Speaking of which (no offense to those of you who love 'em), I hate the racket those things make. That blat-blat-blat is just annoying. Ricers who have straight pipes and all that aren't much better. There's just something unappealing about the sound of a 1.6L gasser after the muffler's gone. Now, don't get me wrong - my father has a nicely modded Japanese sports car, which sound very pleasant at idle, but even it sounds silly at speed. The rumbly burble of a TDI under hard acceleration is just so reassuring, even if it isn't doing 0-60 in 8 seconds.

The TDI has its own unique sound. I personally love the sound of a diesel, big or small. And the smell... LOL.. Gee, I wonder how many fewer brain cells I'm losing when I fill up my lil' TDI versus a gasser?

The aestethics of a TDI has changed my perception of transportation, too. I don't mind the loud roar of a bus or semi as much anymore, but am more bothered of the crying whine of a little 4 cyl Honda at 7,000 RPM, I guess cuz it's much ado about nothing!

PS: I can't stand the smell of gas anymore. It gives me a headache. Barf!

LagoonBlueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6sp
Love that TDI sound...

Suprised that the "ricers" havent caught on. I wouldn't put it past some of them to record the sound of a diesel, and then play it through their $4,000 stereos (at a loud volume) as they drive down residential streets...