Looking for a clutch that will hold stage 2 ecu

Duramax_tdi

TDI
I recently put in a stage 2 ECU, did suspension all around, steering and one cv shaft. Plus some new studded winter tires, but I noticed my clutch will slip on the highway going up hills. So, I just did all this work I don’t want to break the bank too much, I’m not going any further with this car as it’s just my commuter. I want a VR6/g60 clutch, south bend is way overkill. I will never need to change a clutch again. Here are my questions

Can I order any of the vr6 clutch kits on rock auto? The prices are really good in the vr6 section.

Id parts price is okay, but seems a little high due to our exchange rate but the kit looks okay to me?

Thanks

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
When I started adding minor upgrades to the engine which we dynoed out at about 120 hp and around 240 ft-lbs. I put a VR6/G60 clutch kit in and switched to a SMF. It was better than the original clutch but would slip at WOT and most annoying was cruising down the highway at 120ish KPH and going to pass a car and the clutch would slip.

After putting up with that for about a year, I switched to a SB Stage 2 and slipping went away. Now that I have a bunch more done to the engine to achieve 160 hp and 315 ft-lbs, the clutch is working perfectly.

We went camping last weekend and pulling our 2000 lbs trailer up some of our 10 percent grades at WOT and the car performed very well passing other cars :)

My main reason for posting this is because it is a real pain to change the clutch over and over again.

I ordered my clutches from PG Performance in Surrey, BC. but I am sure you can get them locally to avoid import fees and exchange rates.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
Would love to see the looks on people's faces with your Beetle passing them with a trailer going up a mountain...

How are the EGT's in that situation?

Cheers.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
south bend is way overkill.

Can I order any of the vr6 clutch kits on rock auto? The prices are really good in the vr6 section.
Thanks
Why do you say SB is overkill?

Clutch action isn't any more than stock on the leg and the pressure plate is what slips.

When looking at clutches it's difficult to compare pressures across them. Pressure is what holds it from slipping.
Same disk is used either way, so the pressure plate and the flywheel are your question.

I would say you're likely okay with a dual mass if you prefer, it's smoother and quieter, I do recommend a stage 1 clutch plate though. Unless you plan on adding more power down the road, then stage 2.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
To be honest if you are going to a single mass flywheel. Your going to have some cash into that setup no matter what so just got southbend. I do not believe the vr6 flywheel will bolt up to any 4cylinder engine. When I use to mess with the gas side of MK4 the 1.8t bell housing were smaller than 12v vr6 so when I swap gear stacks the bell housing always had to be vr6. The diameter of the flywheel is larger I believe.