Static Build up? 2006 Jetta TDI

KRS9400

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Has anyone had this problem? I was driving and the dash lights went off and on got home the parking lamps stayed on and the alarm started going off over and over again. I unhooked the positive battery terminal for 15 mins and connected the positive and negative terminals on the car side for half minute or so. The anti lock brakes didnt work, and no traction control for the first 10 minutes. Now the car works just fine all electric parts work properly and i have drove it for over thousand miles now. Has anyone else had this issue and if so what do you think the issue or fix for this would be? Im assuming its a ground connection but.. where?

Last edited:

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan
What makes you think this is static related?

When you get out of the car have you ever been shocked when touching the outside of the car or anything else?

If you are experiencing static (usually when you exit the car, in the cold, very-low-humidity winter months), you can go to an auto parts store and buy a rubber static discharge strap that you bolt to the metal portion underneath the car--it drags on the ground at low speeds and keeps the car from getting a static charge.

With the new long-life tires we have these days, they have less carbon in them which makes them less conductive, and static can be an issue.

If this happens again, bring the car back to the dealer--it's still under warranty.