Turbo Advice

Blchap

TDI
ALH
I need some advice on turbo on my 2002. I had a 2003 and it ran away, I originally bought this 2002 for parts and such but ended up putting a timing belt in it since the 2003 ran away. Well the turbo was bad in the 2002 so I stole the turbo out of the 2003, just a little worried about that turbo cause the seals are prolly out of it but the 2002 runs good since I put turbo on it. Just oil dripping from pipe at intercooler. Well with all that being said, I found a turbo on eBay for $300 with warranty and was wondering if anyone has ever bought one and how they were. Thanks.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Aren't runaways often caused by turbo seal failure? Could be wrong, but it seems like you may have the proverbial Ticking Time Bomb.
I would not buy a $300 turbo from ebay.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I would run a junkyard turbo before I ran a 300 eBay turbo.

Typically, the idea is that oil accumulated in the intercooler and eventually built up enough to cause a loss of rpm control. Driving the car hard fairly often us supposed to help minimize the possibility of this happening.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Blchap

TDI
ALH
That’s why I was worried about this turbo but changed it anyways and now know 100% it was the turbo that was messed up. I was skeptical on buying the eBay turbo but it says it’s been tested/rebuilt I think they take the stock turbos and rebuild them cause their is a core charge so I would have to send old turbo back

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
That’s why I was worried about this turbo but changed it anyways and now know 100% it was the turbo that was messed up. I was skeptical on buying the eBay turbo but it says it’s been tested/rebuilt I think they take the stock turbos and rebuild them cause their is a core charge so I would have to send old turbo back
It's your car...

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Ebay. Nuff said. Almost as sketch as buying from aliexpress.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
The manufacturer of the turbo doesn't make OEM replacement parts for the turbos, so "rebuilt" ones are either just cleaned up cores (which, if you get lucky might not be so bad because lot of turbos get changed out that don't need to) or "repaired" units with parts that are probably sourced from questionable places. Perhaps that's why some have had relatively good results with a cheap "rebuilt" and others suffer catastrophic failures.
I wouldn't take the chance given the work involved and that a brand new OEM is less than $800 and good used or trusted sources much less.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Run-away is due to accumulated oil in the Intercooler being blown into the engine...... the snowball begins to roll with the engine revving extremely high, Turbo spinning to max, etc., and sometimes bent rods, broken rods, destroyed Turbo, etc.

It only takes briskly going thru the gears taking the RPMs up to 34-3600 a couple of times per tank of fuel to keep the Intercooler blown-out. Maximum (peak) boost is generally achieved at 32-3300 RPMs, thus, any higher RPM is not really necessary.

I'd stay away from any "rebuilt" Turbo offered on eBay. I've disassembled several VNT15s and cleaned them for re-sale. My stock is all but gone. The "seals" are nothing but metal expansion rings (no rubber). If one is shot, the next thing to go will be the Turbine shaft.

Blchap

TDI
ALH
I do run the car fairly hard for this reason. I usually don’t shift till 2600-2800 rpms

I would run a junkyard turbo before I ran a 300 eBay turbo.

Typically, the idea is that oil accumulated in the intercooler and eventually built up enough to cause a loss of rpm control. Driving the car hard fairly often us supposed to help minimize the possibility of this happening.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I do run the car fairly hard for this reason. I usually don’t shift till 2600-2800 rpms
When I'm doing my exercise, I don't shift till 4k or sometimes when it starts cutting power

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD

You need to take it up another grand. Like WildChild I'm shifting close
to 4k rpm. Everybody thinks they're "helping" their motor by lugging it.
Low down torque feels impressive, but stresses the internals of motor and gearbox.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Run-away is due to accumulated oil in the Intercooler being blown into the engine...... the snowball begins to roll with the engine revving extremely high, Turbo spinning to max, etc., and sometimes bent rods, broken rods, destroyed Turbo, etc.

It only takes briskly going thru the gears taking the RPMs up to 34-3600 a couple of times per tank of fuel to keep the Intercooler blown-out. Maximum (peak) boost is generally achieved at 32-3300 RPMs, thus, any higher RPM is not really necessary.

I'd stay away from any "rebuilt" Turbo offered on eBay. I've disassembled several VNT15s and cleaned them for re-sale. My stock is all but gone. The "seals" are nothing but metal expansion rings (no rubber). If one is shot, the next thing to go will be the Turbine shaft.
I'm not sure about this. Does max boost mean max air flow in the pipes as well?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta tdi
Put a catch can on it and drain the intercooler for starters. Might as well help keep oil out of the system

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Put a catch can on it and drain the intercooler for starters. Might as well help keep oil out of the system
I just added a 2 liter ccv oil cap thing and vent it to the atmosphere, it cured my oil leaks too, eventually I want to route it to the exhaust and seal up the intake tube

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If the engine and turbo are in good condition and the car is driven normally (not babied all the time) there's no need for either draining the intercooler or a catch can. The small amount of oil from the CCV will stay in suspension and be burned up by the engine.

The only time the hoses come off the intercooler on my wagon is when they're in the way of other service tasks. And maybe a few drips of oil come out. Same with my son's car, and he has nearly 400K on original block, head, and turbo.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
"Does max boost mean max air flow in the pipes as well?" Snakeye

Think about it for a moment,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the short answer is yes.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
"Does max boost mean max air flow in the pipes as well?" Snakeye

Think about it for a moment,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the short answer is yes.
It's not that clear to me. The rpm is basically the rate of combustion, and the boost is the density of the air. Just because the air is denser doesn't mean it flows faster, does it? That would depend on the rpm, wouldn't it?

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
It's not that clear to me. The rpm is basically the rate of combustion, and the boost is the density of the air. Just because the air is denser doesn't mean it flows faster, does it? That would depend on the rpm, wouldn't it?
This is a good point, flow and pressure are merely kissing cousins but don't always go hand in hand, if you have a stopped up intake, no realistic amount of pressure will overcome the blockage.

A good flowing intake and head will make more power with the same of even less pressure, at least that's the way I understand it

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Given just the initial question, leave out the variables, max air pressure is more air, it HAS to be more flow.
Now I've done a lot to clean up the restrictions in my system, PD150 intake, upgraded SMIC, EGR delete.
I have the same 26psi boost pressure, with a less restrictive system I am getting more air to the engine.

But I've got a big turbo that maxes out
the system at 26psi. Bigger FMICs need bigger turbos to charge a larger
volume of air to reach their optimal air pressure. Any turbo works off the
feedback from the system when it hits max pressure.

With no alteration to the air flow system, 26psi delivers more air than a 20psi charge.
Now to maximize the efficiency of any pressured system, go for bigger pipes, but you will run out of turbo "steam"
at some point and it will be unable to deliver any more air, bigger exducer wheel required.

To move air through a fixed size hole, more pressure means more air.
Same pressure, bigger hole, more air. Lots of variables in our turbo systems to play with. One restriction
affects overall flow rate given a constant pressure.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I'm not sure about this. Does max boost mean max air flow in the pipes as well?

Over 380k miles and still going just fine (son owns it now, 2000 Jetta). Must be a good way to keep the Inter Cooler blown-out. I only took the RPMs over 4k one time. As for the ALH in my Vanagon, I've never had the RPMs over 3500.

Even if Maximum Boost doesn't equal maximum air flow, I think it is more than sufficient to keep the IC blown out. As I said, I've always done 32-3500 RPMs two or three times (1st thru -4th) per tank of fuel.