Manual Parts From 98 A4 FWD in B5.5 Wagon

UncleMaz

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
First post. I realize this has been covered, but wanted to make certain. Buddy gave me a great running 05 wagon with a bad auto. Found a local 03 Passat sedan 5 speed. Guy flaked. In the interim, I bought a FHN manual from Germany. Now, I am looking again for a donor car. There is a cheap local 98 A4, fwd 5 speed for sale with a blown HG. Will most or all work with my planned 5 speed swap? Besides coding, what else will I need? Thank you.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
None of the A4 parts will work in a B5.5 or vice versa. Totally different drivetrain. You should just source the manual parts you need to do your B5.5 wagon. All the parts you need are listed in this forum. The FHN is a great start. Do some searching here.

Last edited:

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
A lot of the parts on the a4 Audi will work not sure what this other guy is talking about. The Audi A4 and Passat are both B5 chassis But the rear end of the b5 a4 is different but the front suspension is the same albeit the 98 will have some slight variations being an early model.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
He didn't say Audi so I assumed he meant an A4 VW (golf,jetta). The 98 golf and jettas in NA were A3. Did Audi have an A4 tdi in NA? If so, what engine did it have? Canada got a few B5 tdi's which was an inline AHU/iz VE type engine but inline.

Last edited:

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
He didn't say Audi so I assumed he meant an A4 VW (golf,jetta). The 98 golf and jettas in NA were A3. Did Audi have an A4 tdi in NA? If so, what engine did it have? Canada got a few B5 tdi's which was an inline AHU/iz VE type engine but inline.
98 VW Jetta/Golf = Mk3/A3 chassis parts don’t interchange
98 Audi A4 = b5 chassis some parts interchange

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The B platform evolution was kind of weird. The 8-link style front suspension Audi A4 (Typ 8D) came out in '95 as a '96 model, replacing the Audi 80/90. The Ax naming convention had already started a year or two earlier with the Audi A6. But the A4 was the first to get the new front suspension layout (the A6 followed a few years later when the all-new C3 A6 came out).

Back then, Volkswagen was still using the Golf-based Passats... the B3 and B4. In '98, the B5 Passat came out, which was a return once again to a shared with Audi platform. The B1 Passat (sold as a Dasher here) was mechanically the same as the Audi Fox, and the B2 Passat (sold here as the Quantum) was mechanically the same as the Audi 4000. But when the B3 came out in '88, the 4000, which had gotten a couple facelifts and got renamed the 80/90, continued some platform development/improvements until the A4 replaced it.

The '98 Passat was essentially the same car as the Audi A4, and both were more or less the same underneath for 1998 through 2002, but the Passat got a major facelift mid-2001. The Audi went to a slightly different platform (to the Typ 8E from the 8D, the 8E FWD versions gaining IRS and that horrid CVT) in 2003, but the Passat carried on basically unchanged from mid-2001 to the end in 2005. They never got IRS, and they stuck with the conventional 5sp ZF automatic.

What is odd is, the AWD B5 Passat (4Motion), does not use the same rear suspension and differential as the AWD A4 quattro, but instead lifted all that from the larger Audi A6. No idea why. The C3 A6 is not drastically different than the A4 or Passat, just a wee bit larger. They actually share a lot of parts.