Clutch Slipping

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
I'm on a road trip from Albuquerque to Seattle. 44.7 mpg from Albuquerque to SLC! :) Diesel is way cheaper than gas here in SLC. $2.07 a gallon as opposed to $2.80. I thought I noticed some clutch slippage on my 2003 ALH sedan back home, but I thought maybe it was the traction control. My sedan has upgraded nozzles and a Kerma tune. VNT15. Well, on the way to SLC, I noticed a couple of time when I floored in at about 2200 rpm in 5th, the revs would go up, but not the speed. :-( I duplicated it again in 2nd gear. The PO claimed the clutch was replaced like 15,000 miles ago, but maybe not. (no docs to prove it was done) Is this slippage anything to be concerned about regarding my round trip to Seattle? I'm assuming the thought is, just don't floor it. The car has 217,000 miles on it. Do I just need to install an upgraded clutch when I get back home? Another option is having a guru install an upgraded clutch in Seattle since I will be there for 2 weeks. Thanks.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
If I planned to do the work myself, I would wait and be gentle. On the other hand, if I was going to have someone else do it, a guru in Seattle might be a great option.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
My 1.8t Valeo clutch was fine for stock, but started slipping when I got my stage 2 tune done at the time. I drove it easy for a week and it was just fine. Pulled it out and it had no glazing or burns. I'd opt to take it easy til you make it back home.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you want to replace it before returning home talk to Rich at Fix Um Haus in Portland OR. He's as good as they get.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
A brand new clutch, if not up to the task, can slip behind a modded TDI.

I filled up the Golf this morning, it was $1.89/gal.... Pffft :p

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
IDK, my MIL burned up the clutch on my car, but it was probably due anyway. There's never a good time to lose a clutch.
It's just a clutch, not like a TB or anything that requires special tools.

Sauaciden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 8L 1.9TDI
It may not be the clutch itself. I had bad release bearing causing clutch slip in my TDI. Drive gently and you will be alright

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm having a G60 flywheel, new pressure plate, and Sachs clutch installed in it tomorrow by Zantech in Redmond, WA. I guess it could be the release bearing, but the labor to replace it is so great, you may as well do the clutch. They are doing it for $880. (just the labor, I got the parts from Kerma) I have this same combo in my wagon with the stage 4 tune and it never slips. I'm doing the rear main, release bearing, and the clutch fork also. If the PO did replace the clutch 20,000 miles ago, you would think that they would have replaced the bearing as well. It was actually the PO before the PO that I bought it from that may have replaced it with no documentation, so who knows if it was done. I will ask them to save the clutch and flywheel so I can examine them. I figure why chance it on the trip back. I did the 5-speed conversion and I hated reinstalling the transmission, better to pay to have it done. BTW Zantech was recommended by KermaTDI, so I figure I'm golden.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
Also I did have an oil leak from the vacuum pump, which was fixed recently. It is possible the oil from that leak got on the clutch and is making it slip.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
The guy at Zantech said he doesn't think the oil leak hurt the clutch. (oil just spins off the clutch) He said the TDI puts the most pressure on the clutch at low RPMS especially in 5th gear. He thinks it is my nozzles and the tune causing the slippage.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
My old clutch was fine. Zantech said my tune and nozzles were too much for it. He thought the clutch may have been original. (It was what came on the car new) My new clutch and flywheel are great! :)

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
It's beautiful up here. Boating on Lake Washington has been great. Covid cases recently are lower here than back in NM. My A/C is still freezing up though. I think my fairly nw compressor is going out. Saving that fix for when I get back home and have the proper tools.